Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Why do diesel owners idle their motors so much?

Hey all.

Its a simple thing. Why do diesel owners idle their vehicles so much? Mainly those with Landcruisers, Hilux's and Patrols. Does anybody have a valid reason why such an action is done by so many?

A common example. People arrive to a shop, hop out of their diesel vehicle and go into the shop to do their business and leave their vehicle running. No matter what exhaust has been fitted, it still sounds like a clattering mess of farts and smells as good as one too.

I see it constantly anywhere i go. Yes, by all means idle your vehicle after its done hard work (like consistant highway cruising or heavy towing, petrol or diesel vehicles) but not when your pootling around town

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why do diesel owners idle their motors so much?

+1 ... I've noticed this particularly as I get coffee on the way to work around 6:15am. Usually about 3-4 dual cab diesels idling away outside. Always thought it was illegal to leave a vehicle idling unattended ;) [ re: the old turbo timer debate ]

My only thought is they think they are big rig road trains and have to leave them idling all the time ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Idle down the turbo maybe?

Some diesels I've driven have an auto turbo timer, you can take the key out, lock the door and the engine will still run till it times out.
Old 13-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

read a few myths in 4x4 forums

maybe is a he man thing... I drive a diesel therefore I can

its the company truck .... what do I care

its a hot day and I like air con

yes to turbo cooling thingy

starting up all the time wears out/stuffs up the glow plugs ..

some one told them its more economical to idle a diesel
Old 13-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
b2428

I have a diesel and I idle it mainly on start up. Long enough to throw the boots on and have a little sneaky smoke and warm the car up just a little bit. Always have its not a diesel thing so much but a force of habit and have always done it with my cars.

Not so much on pulling up around town as its only short but after longer trips say out of town or after having a go I idle it down as well. This is habit with the turbo and something I have always been told to do.

Was told from a mechanic to avoid extended periods of time idling smaller diesels other then say trucks as it will glaze the bores. To be honest not 100% sure how accurate this is.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One historical reasons....Going back many years:
I believe there was some sort of gov subsidy for Farmers and I believe some commercial operators and they used to leave there tractors and trucks idling whenever not in use, eg while they had lunch. I know this from my uncle who was a farmer in the 60s and asked him why he didnt turn it off. It might have been a diesel subsidy which worked in his favour.
And although maybe not relevant today still gets into the collective think when combined with the other things already mentioned.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
I have a diesel and I idle it mainly on start up. Long enough to throw the boots on and have a little sneaky smoke and warm the car up just a little bit. Always have its not a diesel thing so much but a force of habit and have always done it with my cars.

Not so much on pulling up around town as its only short but after longer trips say out of town or after having a go I idle it down as well. This is habit with the turbo and something I have always been told to do.

Was told from a mechanic to avoid extended periods of time idling smaller diesels other then say trucks as it will glaze the bores. To be honest not 100% sure how accurate this is.
This happened at the local grain facility here, brand new Isuzu or similar, working nights at wheat harvest it sat idling all night with the lights on, in for warranty work because it wasn't running properly, pulled the head and it had glazed bores

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
This is the same with Trucks, idling only wastes fuel.

Any Truck engine that is not worked hard will end up with glazed bores

Last edited by GasoLane; 14-07-2015 at 01:12 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Trucks should be cooled after a heavy run for 3 - 5 minutes but utes well don't matter
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hey all.

Its a simple thing. Why do diesel owners idle their vehicles so much? Mainly those with Landcruisers, Hilux's and Patrols. Does anybody have a valid reason why such an action is done by so many?

A common example. People arrive to a shop, hop out of their diesel vehicle and go into the shop to do their business and leave their vehicle running. No matter what exhaust has been fitted, it still sounds like a clattering mess of farts and smells as good as one too.

I see it constantly anywhere i go. Yes, by all means idle your vehicle after its done hard work (like consistant highway cruising or heavy towing, petrol or diesel vehicles) but not when your pootling around town
possibly it's not theirs, company vehicle maybe.
as gasolane states if it aint working then switch it off..
idle only necessary for turbo 1~3 minutes if hot..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they love the lump

my diesel rattly lump
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
my diesel rattly lump
And that's only your Camry
Old 13-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
Twinkles

I used to do it because it was easier to jump into an already running vehicle.
Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I drive mine like a car (mainly because it is one). The only concession it's given is on cold mornings I wait for the glowplug light to go out
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't bother idling my diesel work van (T5 Transporter) when I get out. But saying that is their a diesel car with start stop technology fitted?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #16
Terriplod

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I don't bother idling my diesel work van (T5 Transporter) when I get out. But saying that is their a diesel car with start stop technology fitted?
Yep Mercedes Vito "blue efficiency" pretty sure the name is but if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal it wont cut out. Just my 2c worth the old bush oil only fed turbo's needed a cool down cycle to stop oil boiling in the chra but oil/coolant fed turbo's use thermal efficiency and transfer cooler water through them once switched off. I had a mazda MPS before and it wasn't a problem to drive the last 2 klm from home like nanna and that was the best form of a cool down cycle you can get imo. Leaving a diesel idling will glaze and wash the bores even on an efficent crd.
Terriplod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #17
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

A hot shutdown is one of the top reasons behind turbocharger failure. All the mass-market cars have oil-cooled turbos where the oil dissipates heat and prevents damage to the bearings inside. There's also the issue of heat soak from exhaust gas. The worst thing you can do to your turbo is switch the engine off immediately after a hard run.
Old 14-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
A hot shutdown is one of the top reasons behind turbocharger failure. All the mass-market cars have oil-cooled turbos where the oil dissipates heat and prevents damage to the bearings inside. There's also the issue of heat soak from exhaust gas. The worst thing you can do to your turbo is switch the engine off immediately after a hard run.
That would make diesels pretty useless as a practical vehicle. Reminds me of the old Mazda rotarys where you had to sit and wait for the car to warm up!

One of the worst things if you're a regular user of trades located in industrial units is waiting at the counter while some noob with a diesel leaves it running outside the door and the unit fills up with nice carcinogenic fumes.

Time for the car thieves industry to start doing a few grab and run thefts of idling diesels with absent drivers. That'll change things quick!
Old 14-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no neccessity to idle down a modern diesel motor unless its straight off a long 100km.hr run then say a minute. Idling simply burns more fuel, working for Australias biggest privately owned logistics company we are told bu our driver trainers turn it off unless its straight off a long 100km/hr run...if you run through the burbs to your stop point just switch it off.

Its more likely these people are leaving the engine running to keep the heater running in winter or aircon in summer.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Its more likely these people are leaving the engine running to keep the heater running in winter or aircon in summer.
Maybe the manufacturers should work on fixing these things in the car seeing as the rest of these cars are ordinary.
Old 14-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I just do it to let the car defrost and heat up in winter when its frozen, start it, go back inside and watch TV while car warms up with heater and defrosts windscreen.

Summer, might start it early before I leave with A/C blazing to cool it down.

Or when I'm waiting forever in the line at Heathcote Raceway at AFF Heathcote because something happened on the track again and we're all stuck, cause every time you turn the damn car off traction control turns itself back on again.

3 people died, 5 critically injured from diesel fumes in the line

We get all these modern diesel 4x4 owners approaching us for turbo timers, you don't need that stuff, just drive it easy the last 2 minutes before you get to your destination if by any chance you've thrashed the crap out of it which is doubtful.

Waste of time and money these turbo timer things.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I just do it to let the car defrost and heat up in winter when its frozen, start it, go back inside and watch TV while car warms up with heater and defrosts windscreen.
Every modern car owner has it rammed down their throat in the handbook to drive off as soon as you've started the engine. Is anybody who's not an automotive engineer going to make an exception? Likewise, everybody will turn a car off as soon as they've stopped and finished. You'd need a whole team of psychiatrists to change human instinct.

The Mazda ****el engine didn't have a long life on the market. Had a friend who had one. We'd go off somewhere at the same time in separate cars to meet somewhere. He'd say I'll see you 5 minutes after you get there.
Old 14-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #23
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That would make diesels pretty useless as a practical vehicle. Reminds me of the old Mazda rotarys where you had to sit and wait for the car to warm up!

One of the worst things if you're a regular user of trades located in industrial units is waiting at the counter while some noob with a diesel leaves it running outside the door and the unit fills up with nice carcinogenic fumes.

Time for the car thieves industry to start doing a few grab and run thefts of idling diesels with absent drivers. That'll change things quick!

It would be easier to educate the drivers that what they are doing is not nessicary, instead of encouraging crime ...
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think it's to keep the heater or A/C going.

Most of summer here is extremely hot and people will idle their cars (often diesel engines but I don't think it's relevant) to keep the temp in the car down, so when they get back into the car it's cool already.

People without diesel engines do this as well, it's just not as noticeable as the cars are a lot more quiet at idle.

Then there are the few that do it to benefit their turbo I would guess, as a lot of modern diesel engines in 4x4's are turbo charged. I have a dual cab Toyota diesel work car, turbo diesel engine, but never worry about it as it's a work car, I just drive it as normal, but I will idle it in summer to keep the A/C going especially when it's 40 plus degrees, but I would never walk away into a shop or back into the house and leave my car running.

If the car gets stolen you will end up in trouble with the cops, and insurance may not pay out as you are breaking the law and your vehicle got stolen as a result of it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #25
cram_it_frog
wombat

very common sight in Broken Hill summer time property owners in there landcrusers in the main street is summer is leave the diesel engine on and air con on

some time with some one in it other time no one in it

many have groceries in the cab and many do monthly shop so there is a lot of food there and when it is hot you do not want it to go off

many travel over 100 pluss ks to go shopping

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #26
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Personally I think it's to keep the heater or A/C going.

Most of summer here is extremely hot and people will idle their cars (often diesel engines but I don't think it's relevant) to keep the temp in the car down, so when they get back into the car it's cool already.

People without diesel engines do this as well, it's just not as noticeable as the cars are a lot more quiet at idle.
This ^^^^^

It has nothing to do with them being diesels. Its about the location and the people. You never see cars being left running in the carpark at a city Westfield. It's a country thing and the people who do it like farmers predominantly drive diesel dual cabs and cruisers now.
When I used to work on my Cousin's farm 20 years ago they all did the same thing, but at the time it was in XF utes and Fairlanes.
Old 14-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
ltd
Force Fed Fords

In modern diesels with modern turbo's, injection and emissions gear, people are in fact doing themselves a disservice by leaving the engines idling. First of all, over time it will glaze the bores, and secondly in this day and age of emissions controls high idle times clog the DPF with soot. In some euro diesels like the Toureg, the DPF filter costs over $4000.00 - and there are two.
No, it comes down to some people honestly believing that they're driving a big rig - the extra ****el factor that we see every day on Australia's roads.

Quote: