Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Shannon's AU Falcon Story

1998-2002 Ford AU Falcon: Sunk by Identity Crisis or Dirty Tricks?

Nice article on our unloved AU model (which i owned one and it was fabulous)

http://www.shannons.com.au/club/news...-dirty-tricks/

extract:
Quote:
Within months, commentators and opinion leaders who had earlier praised the car suddenly found fault with the AU Forte’s waterfall grille, its ride height, its narrow boot opening and rear door access, its overall appearance, its droopy rear styling, its lower spec live axle rear suspension, its stark interior and less “substantial styling.”
Old 25-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shannon's AU Falcon Story

I've owned 3 au falcons a wagon a ute and a dedicated lpg sedan all were reliable comfortable cars
Old 25-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that AU Forte grill was more like the LTD grills of the 70s and 80s - looked more like an upper-spec grill than the poverty pack grill.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

The Au series Ford's are a good thing, have always been. Have a look around the streets today they are about & going strong! Imagine how good it could've been if the Aussie Ford designers of the time had good funding & full control of the AU design....

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First impressions count when they rolled that series 1 forte out they stuffed up big time the thing looked terrible. The ride height was crazy, the 15 inch wheels were to small and those hubcaps holy smokes what were they thinking ???? It didn't matter what they did after that the public had it in there mind as soon as you said au they thought of that series one forte.

But the au could look great I love the xr8s and te50s there one of my favorite fords of all time not only did they look good but they drove unbelievably good. My 5 speed 220 xr8 is still my favorite car I have ever driven ( and i have driven a manual 335 gtp I think the reason was I expected the 335 to be good and it is, but the au xr8 after hearing for ages how bad au's were just blew me away and ill never forget the first time I threw a few corners at it and couldn't believe a falcon could handle so good.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

It's an interesting read ! On the "complaint" about the access to the back seat.... I compared my EB Wagon's rear door opening to my BF Wagon's (Same as AU)... and the actual opening size measures pretty much the same. It's just that the AU-BF's rear door doesn't swing open as far as the EA-EF's ! This is down to the AU-BF's slightly curvier styling... so the door stay is made a bit shorter to prevent the rear door skin hitting the back edge of the front door (when the rear door is opened). Had the shut line between the front and rear doors been arched forward slightly (to match the shape of the AU's door skin more)... then the rear door could have been allowed to swing open as far as EA - EF. It doesn't need to be much... and had Ford done it, I'm guessing no-one would have been any wiser (ie: complained the shut line wasn't dead straight)... and access to the back seats of big Fords would have been as good for the next 12yrs (AU1 - BF3) as it was for the previous 10 (EA - EF)

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU was the last of the great reliable falcons solid falcon's

my old man had a cab that went 1.2 million kilometers on original engine and auto was fastidiously maintained and was still going strong after it was de-commissioned.

The rear access is fine for most normal human I never had any problem's getting in and out of a falcon and I'm a average sized male. Maybe the guy needs to eat a few less pie's.

Last edited by Boza; 25-06-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about Leyland P76 that was a classic media 'sink it at all costs'.
Old 25-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Taxi companies and dedicated Taxi workshops LOVED the AU Falcon - most reliable Taxi EVER

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

I still have my 2002 AU XR6 Ute and I still love it. It has carried everything known to man in the tray and is still going strong. Problem free, fuel efficient and low cost to maintain. I am happy to leave the Rspec at home and drive it to work 3-4 days a week!
Golioth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The XR's are worse than the regular AUs, that bug-eye front looks horrible.

I like the TS50, its my favorite AU.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #12
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother just bought a Series 3 XR6 sedan for his first car, has the full Rebel body kit, I always make him drive places and I pay for fuel and dinner. It looks amazing in Venom and is probably the most comfortable Falcon I've ever been in.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The AU is probably the most under-rated car I can think of.

Maybe the Series 1 Forte was a bit ugly, but there are plenty of more ugly cars going around these days.

My 1998 AU Series 1 Fairmont was a fabulous car, very attractive front that is still attractive to this day with the chrome grille etc. And a very aerodynamic efficient shape that reflected in better fuel economy on longer trips.

The interior was also more luxurious and better quality than the BA Ghia that came after it.

Ford went backwards after the AU with the BA, with its cheapness, worse fuel economy and inferior driving feel. But they don't mention that.

And I still see heaps of AU's around, so they couldn't be too bad.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Never liked AU's, until I bought my first one because it was cheap. I have owned three since then, they are addictive, especially the V8s.

I have parted out a few and it still amazes me how well they are put together even after people mistreat them for years. My XR8 is a keeper for sure.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Magic cars, special new and have stood the test of time.

The crowning achievement of Tickford in the 90's, super strong IRS, great balance, comfortable, reliable. You had all this extra engineering going into the cars from the EBII S-XR6 onward - suspension tuning, individually tuned motors for the XR's, XR motors in the Fairmont Ghias and Fairlanes, VCT, Tickford tuned wagons both XR and Fairmont V8. BHP bake hardened steel, imagine that today... Just look at the leather trim in an AUII LTD (also fitted with AU1 XR8 motor...) Split cab ute with the flexibility of tray or styleside brought back the one tonner.

They were special. I was talking with another owner yesterday, and we mentioned what was appreciated was the fact with the Tickford UK engineers input, the Falcon got really close to European ideals in car design.

Edit: reading Joe's comments after the article, the AU certainly didn't get the Euro styling, goodness what a mess that American interference was/is/will be.

Joe Kenright is an excellent author on the subject of our domestic motor industry.

Last edited by Sprintey; 25-06-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still the most aerodynamic Australian car. 0.29cd
Imagine how low they could get it with current stuff like hidden wipers, grill shutters, full car undertray, better aero mirrors, lower ride height.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an AUII XR8 220kW, liquid silver, leather interior and had a lot of the Tickford options on it. The Series II styling made it look a lot better in my opinion.

The dealer also took the door spears and chrome door handles from an LTD and put them on the car for me - it made the interior look very classy.

It was a great car, very reliable and I loved the IRS on it - it used to give real bite and drive out of corners.

Only sour note was the side skirts - because the 220kW hadn't been released I didn't order it with the Tickford body kit. Instead, it got fitted with a Talon body kit - that was a load of rubbish with little stress fractures opening up all the time - very unsatisfactory.

Traded it on a GT-P as that was my dream car.

Overall, I have fond memories of my AU.
Old 25-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Its no secret ive always been an AU fanboy. I now own an AU1 ute, plastic floor, wind up windows, cruise control, V8 & no ABS
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Within months, commentators and opinion leaders who had earlier praised the car suddenly found fault with the AU Forte’s waterfall grille, its ride height, its narrow boot opening and rear door access, its overall appearance, its droopy rear styling, its lower spec live axle rear suspension, its stark interior and less “substantial styling.”
I remember it clearly, the magazines of the time are still easily obtainable to back this up. I bought an XR ute and still have it
Old 25-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well in the annals of history can say the following:

Holden are a bunch of next Tuesday types
Dearborn should have had the balls to make falcon and mustang on the same platform

And the au has turned out to be a tough barstard of a car. My old man has one a fairmont and its brilliant
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Still the most aerodynamic Australian car. 0.29cd
Imagine how low they could get it with current stuff like hidden wipers, grill shutters, full car undertray, better aero mirrors, lower ride height.
Yeah, I certainly noticed the fuel consumption go up with the BA Ghia compared to the AU Fairmont, after Ford sacked their aerodynamicists for designers who concentrated only on aesthetics, not aerodynamic efficiency.

Look closely, the AU had seals between the bonnet and headlights to improve airflow thus lower Cd. Also the more curved roof of the AU, and the rounded rear quarters either side of the boot assisted reducing the Cd. Funny that Mercedes followed with a similar rear design, and didn't get any flack from automotive writers.

The BA has holes under the bonnet front edge for headlight seals, but are not fitted. Same with the FG. Cost cutting again.

One of my worst decisions selling the AU for the BA.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
The AU is probably the most under-rated car I can think of.

Maybe the Series 1 Forte was a bit ugly, but there are plenty of more ugly cars going around these days.

My 1998 AU Series 1 Fairmont was a fabulous car, very attractive front that is still attractive to this day with the chrome grille etc. And a very aerodynamic efficient shape that reflected in better fuel economy on longer trips.

The interior was also more luxurious and better quality than the BA Ghia that came after it.

Ford went backwards after the AU with the BA, with its cheapness, worse fuel economy and inferior driving feel. But they don't mention that.

And I still see heaps of AU's around, so they couldn't be too bad.
They did have a nicer quality interior than the BA, but I remember at their launch that the interior had been cheapened over the EL. I recall the carpets weren't as good and the roof lining was cheaper.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
4stanger