Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Power outputs released for the 2015 Ford Mustang most likely Australian version

Australia will most likely get the UK version of the Mustang, so here it is, really hoping they release a Shelby GT version. 320kw is not bad at all (and this is brake horse power which I believe in Europe this is a measure of power at the wheels, not the motor is this correct?). Is this the N/A version of the Coyote though? I would love it if Ford Australia could put the FPV Coyote version in the Australian Mustang to make it unique, but if they did all the bullcrap testing would have to be done like crash testing and such which would cost $$$ so I doubt they will.

Quote:
By

Motor Industry

21 July 2014 13:50

Ford has released power outputs, but not performance figures, for its all-new Mustang that goes on sale in right-hand drive in the UK this summer 2015.

Two engines will be offered: A 429bhp 5.0-litre V8 or a more European-friendly (slightly) 306bhp 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

US buyers also get the option of a 296bhp 3.7-litre V6, but it’s not coming here and there’s no diesel for us limeys, or anyone else.

The PR drip feed means we’ll have to wait until the September first drives in the US to find out how quick the Mustang is, but predictions are the V8-powered Mustang should sprint to 62mph in less than 4.5 seconds. The turbo four, meanwhile, is expected to do the 0-62mph dash in less than five seconds.
Old name, new tech

Forget the ancient live-axle rear end that made the old car almost irrelevant over here because the new ‘Stang gets an independent multi-link rear suspension that should help it cope better with the UK’s rougher roads and the frequent occurrence of the Mustang’s arch-nemesis – pesky corners.

To help cement the new Mustang’s sportscar credentials all British cars come standard with a chassis upgrades. All UK cars get bigger brakes, stiffer springs, strut-bracing and a thicker rear sway bar. Mustangs sold here also get a Euro-tune ESP and power steering, plus additional cooling for track days.

Which poses the question, what are the Ford Mustang natural rivals? Expect the V8 to be positioned as a cut-price M4 rival while the less powerful 2.3-litre turbo will go up against cars like the Audi A5 and fellow rear-wheel drive sports cars like the Nissan 370Z and Mercedes C-Class coupe.
Where can I buy one?

For the first time in its fifty-year history the sixth-generation Mustang will be officially sold through your local Ford dealer in right-hand drive. That means high performance derivatives like a near 700bhp Shelby GT500 could follow.

Again, Ford isn’t ready to release pricing but has confirmed it will be ‘highly competitive.’ CAR predicts pricing to kick off just under £30,000 for the 2.3-litre turbo. Deliveries are expected to begin in the third quarter of next year, but as the car goes on sale in the US this winter, expect to see some of LHD grey imports to crop up this Christmas driven by diehard Ford fans.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-Ford-Mustang/

It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Power outputs released for the 2015 Ford Mustang most likely Australian version

We get less power than the yanks ?
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Power outputs released for the 2015 Ford Mustang most likely Australian version

£30,000, if thats correct that is damn cheap, I know that's pounds, once you do the conversions to AUD wonder if it will got for around $60,000 or am I dreaming
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 31-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
For the first time in its fifty-year history the sixth-generation Mustang will be officially sold through your local Ford dealer in right-hand drive. That means high performance derivatives like a near 700bhp Shelby GT500 could follow.
What about the run of RHD mustangs in the 60's and the TVE 2002 mustang?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
We get less power than the yanks ?
Depends, I'm only speculating that we will get the same version as the UK considering our simularities, could be totally different.
Old 31-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect the exhaust on Euro Mustangs might be a bit quieter than the Yanks ones, hence the slight reduction in power.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're all gonna put aftermarket exhausts on em anyway
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Ecoboost under 5 seconds? Shizer!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
What about the run of RHD mustangs in the 60's and the TVE 2002 mustang?
The UK didnt get them...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I know I re-read about 3-4 times to make sure I was reading it correctly .
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
£30,000, if thats correct that is damn cheap, I know that's pounds, once you do the conversions to AUD wonder if it will got for around $60,000 or am I dreaming
The base Mustang here will be well south of 50k. Well south. And it has to be.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
The base Mustang here will be well south of 50k. Well south. And it has to be.
To compete with? I hope so, I know so many people interested in the new Mustang, its amazing how much interest it has generated in Australia even though you have been able to buy RHD Mustangs that have been converted for years. Two people that I know who are generally interested are just waiting for more details on the engine specs and one of them is tossing up between a Mustang or a FH XR8 but wants to test drive both first.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
54483.41 Australian Dollar

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #14
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
54483.41 Australian Dollar
Yeh I converted it to that as well, I only said $60,000 because for some reason we always get screwed for pricing in Australia.
Old 31-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford Mustang news, specs and video
More details about the 2014 Ford Mustang's engine range and European spec have been revealed ahead of the car's launch next year. Specs, prices and details here

Ford has revealed the full and final spec details of the new Ford Mustang, which will be sold officially in the UK – and in right-hand-drive form – for the first time ever.

The new car will feature two engines from launch, starting with a 310bhp and 320lb/ft 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine replacing the old V6, and the all-important 5.0-litre V8 model topping the range (ahead of any hotter Shelby versions) with 435bhp and 400lb/ft. The 310bhp V6 engine will however remain to be offered in the US in the cheapest and most basic models. In traditional muscle car style, all engines drive the rear wheels.

Ford’s four-cylinder ecoBoost features forged-steel crankshaft and connecting rods, steel piston ring carriers and a High-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block. There’s also a raft of state-of-the-art technology running the engine, such as direct injection, a new independent variable cam timing system and a turbocharger, all of which adds up to what Ford describes as a ‘broad, flat torque curve and great driveability’.

A manual gearbox will remain standard, with a paddleshift automatic transmission optional, while Ford rumoured to be working on a ten-speed automatic transmission for the future.

Perhaps the biggest and most significant news is that the sixth-generation Mustang gains a new rear suspension setup, which finally sees the back of the traditional live axle. In its place will be a thoroughly more up-to-date ‘integral-link’ independent suspension setup.

Ford has also redesigned the front suspension setup to match, with a new stiff lightweight subframe, and double ball-joint MacPherson strut setup. To help reduce unsprung mass, Ford has also employed the use of aluminium for some components. European-spec cars come with re-tuned dampers, bushing and monotube rear dampers.

All European models will also come with a new Performance Pack, which adds high performance brakes, 19-inch alloy wheels, additional cooling, thicker sway bars and extra bracing as standard. Thanks to these changes, Ford is confident that the new Mustang will be much better suited to European roads than its predecessor.

For the first time, Ford will also offer launch control on the models ordered with a manual gearbox, as well as a number of other electrical driver aids and a torque vectoring system. There will be selectable driving modes adjusting steering and throttle response and stability control settings.

With the new Mustang developed with the European audience in mind, pre-order books first opened during the 2014 Champions League final, European football’s biggest event. From the initial batch of 500 cars, 130 will come to the UK. Prices for the new Mustang have not yet been confirmed, although a ballpark figure of £30,000 has been rumoured for entry level models, which would pitch the new four-cylinder version directly at its most comparable modern muscle car rival – the 326bhp Nissan 370Z. It should make for an intriguing twin-test when we get the opportunity…
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/29...and_video.html
Old 31-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #16
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Is this really possible? I'm in if so.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
BHDOGS
Banned

whats the nissan 370z sell for here might give a rough idea of its price here.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #18
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

My tip....mid 40s for the 4cyl.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was hoping the GT would be priced south of $50k, but considering we'll be getting the same fully optioned model that the UK gets I suspect it will be atleast $55k, if we're lucky.
It wont be cheaper than an XR8 anyway, but I also suspect they wont be on sale at the same time anyway as they are going to run out of gearboxes for the Falcon.

Ecoboost will be $49990 I reckon
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
furiousgibbon

Quote:
(and this is brake horse power which I believe in Europe this is a measure of power at the wheels, not the motor is this correct?).
no this isn't correct. I knew brake horsepower was a measure of engine power, but I never knew what the 'brake' part actually meant until now:

Quote:
Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower before the loss in power caused by the gearbox and drive train. In Europe the DIN standard tested the engine fitted with all ancillaries and exhaust system as used in the car. The American SAE system tests without alternator, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. so the figures are higher than the European figures for the same engine. Brake refers to the device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired rotational speed. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower. Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the "indicator" (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft.
This may explain why US and UK Mustangs have different power ratings. Anyway, 429bhp is plenty for a normally aspirated 5L V8. I'd be interested to see what the future SC version will bring. As for pricing, I think Ford will try to position this as a premium product, so I would expect on-road cost of the V8 to be well into the 60s, perhaps even the 70s.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #21
D Block

I just hope Ford Aus has locked in pricing at AU$ 'cos the indications are that the US$ is about to get stronger against the AU$. Some how, I doubt they have.
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #22
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That will only be with the optional flying pigs
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My tip....mid 40s for the 4cyl.

Consider how much you would be prepared to pay for a New Mustang,
then add 50%.

I don't know what Ford's lineup will look like after 2016. Maybe an expanded Mondeo/ Fusion lineup, who knows.
However the Mustang will be a "premium" product and priced accordingly.

I'm somewhat surprised that they are going to try to flog the EB version here, given the resounding failure of the EB Falcon.
Still, if anyone here is cheap (and stupid) enough to buy one, their feeble excuses will at least keep me amused for a few years.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #24
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

then add 50%.

I don't know what Ford's lineup will look like after 2016. Maybe an expanded Mondeo/ Fusion lineup, who knows.

I'm somewhat surprised that they are going to try to flog the EB version here, given the resounding failure of the EB Falcon.
Still, if anyone here is cheap (and stupid) enough to buy one, their feeble excuses will at least keep me amused for a few years.
Mustang is not a premium product in the US. Check out the prices over there. This is not like the 2001 debacles where they were required to be converted to RHD.
If Ford hope to sell any, they will need to be priced appropriately...and they will be. This may be hard to hear for Mustang importers that have had it good charging astronomical amounts in the past, but we shall see who is laughing in the end.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #25
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

then add 50%.

Crazy Dazz. Making friends and influencing AFF members since 2008. ;)

I wouldn't say stupid, but I know of 2 people (guy and a gal) who priority isn't cracking 12's down the 1/4, and whom are very keen on the EB. 4 cyl in a sporty package = win for them.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If I was in the market for a Mustang I'd be going the Ecoboost engine, once you fit a better IC, intake, turbo back exhaust and tune you'd be making more power again.

Its easier to get power out of forced induction than just an NA V8.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #27
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
If I was in the market for a Mustang I'd be going the Ecoboost engine, once you fit a better IC, intake, turbo back exhaust and tune you'd be making more power again.

Its easier to get power out of forced induction than just an NA V8.
Yes, the 4 cyl will be a great engine but for me, the only engine that should be in a Mustang is a V8. I don't care how fast it is. But for those that are happy to lower their voice and whisper "no it's a 4 cyl" when their friends are checking their new car out, then more power to them. How sought after are those V6 Monaros?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Depends, I'm only speculating that we will get the same version as the UK considering our simularities, could be totally different.
Watched an older version of Topgear last night, season 19 they were whinging that they are only getting the ecoboost engine and not the V8? Maybe Ford changed their minds and decided to give them the V8, the ecoboost sounds like a good idea in theory, all the mustang looks and bling without the fuel bill but I feel anyone who buys one is one day going to pull up next to its older brother(V8) and just regret spending so much money on it.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yes, the 4 cyl will be a great engine but for me, the only engine that should be in a Mustang is a V8. I don't care how fast it is. But for those that are happy to lower their voice and whisper "no it's a 4 cyl" when their friends are checking their new car out, then more power to them. How sought after are those V6 Monaros?
Of course no one wanted the V6 Monaro, its that 3.8L boat anchor but remember early to late Gen Y are starting to get up there now with disposable income, we've grown up with boosted cars being the heroes, not the V8s.

Or there are going to be some people with the missus opposed to V8s

I reckon its a viable option.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #30
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Whole lot of speculation about the 0-60 of the Ecoboost on U.S. forums and deniers (who took a break from climate) throwing up mid 5's. But mid-5's even out of the little 4 banger? That'll leave many a 'performance' car in the dust for the 0-60 anyway. Yet there are believers for who the extra low down torque say this well best the old V6's 5.3 0-60, so under 5 MIGHT be there. From Motor Trend:

"It will, however, reach peak torque way lower in the rev range, meaning that even if it doesn’t produce much more than the 305 hp the V-6 does, it should very easily outrun that car"

Read more here: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz395sqsWqU

Whatever happen's it'll be one interesting option.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post