Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Balancing trailer tyres.

I recently visited a well known tyre chain and got a new tyre for my 6x4 trailer and was quoted $95 for a commercial tyre fitted.

I noticed it didnt have wheel weights when the guy wheeled it out and i asked if it was balanced and he said no because they dont balance trailer tyres, he then asked why i would want to balance a trailer tyre and i replied i have too much mechanical sympathy and i dont enjoy having my trailer shake the car and see the trailer bouncing in my rear view mirror while chewing up bearings etc.

This has happened a few times over the years, some will balance trailer wheels and others wont unless you ask them.

The question is, why wouldnt you get them balanced even if you couldnt feel the vibration from the drivers seat?

Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
Old 15-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Balancing trailer tyres.

i guess, because they'll damage or wear out faster if they're not balanced? = more sales for them?
Old 15-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: Balancing trailer tyres.

Another thread on this topic in wheel and tyre section
Closed Thread