Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Queensland's smart driver's licences require neutral expression for photo ID

Queensland's smart driver's licences require neutral expression for photo ID

Greg Stolz
The Courier-Mail
October 12, 2013 12:00AM

DO NOT say "cheese" - let alone "sex".

We might live in the Sunshine State, but Queenslanders are increasingly looking unhappy as more of us change over to new "smart" driver's licences.

Previously perfectly acceptable, a cheesy grin is now frowned upon by Department of Transport officials when getting your licence photo taken.

New rules mean Queenslanders renewing their licences have to adopt a "neutral" expression.

"This assists facial recognition technology which reduces the risk of fraudulent activity,'' a department spokesman said.

University of Queensland facial recognition expert Professor Brian Lovell said many people thought the new unsmiling licences were "not very flattering" and even "really ugly".

But he said expression was one of the key means of successful facial recognition, along with pose and lighting.

"A neutral expression helps better control the (facial) capture conditions,'' Prof Lovell said.

He said facial recognition was being increasingly used to stop identity fraud and people obtaining multiple licences for terrorism and other crimes.

"The 19 World Trade Centre bombers had 63 driver's licences between them,'' he said.

"There was also a famous case in Texas where a man managed to obtain 30 driver's licences, despite being fairly distinctive in that he only had one arm.''

Neutral expressions are also now required for passport photos.

Even so, Queensland Transport's 'no smiling' photo policy has set tongues wagging on social media networks.

"It took like 20 minutes to get my picture taken because I couldn't stop laughing,'' one person commented on social news and entertainment site Reddit.

"Every time she (the Transport Department official) snapped the photo I didn't have a neutral expression so she had to keep taking them.''

Another person commented: "I'm pretty sure they wait until you're in a frown/dead face before they snap the photo. I tried to lock myself into a bit more of a "smile" for my default "neutral expression" but the licensing officer probably saw through it.''
http://www.couriermail.com.au/techno...-1226738549043

###

Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Queensland's smart driver's licences require neutral expression for photo ID

Should be easy enough not to smile considering the increased costs of licences here in Qld.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
towtaltowing

Default Re: Queensland's smart driver's licences require neutral expression for photo ID

This is news ?

Everywhere is like this
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep...mine isn't due for a year or so (and can't I just wait to be bent over for the cost of a five year licence then...), but my missus had hers done a few months back...glasses off, blank look on her face. The photo honestly didn't look anything like her.

Same with passport photos now...no glasses (even if you wear them all the time), a blank vacant expression. The funny bit was that when we turned up in San Francisco, they looked at the my wifes passport, and compared it with her, but she had her glasses on. "Facial recognition"? Nope, find that hard to believe...not unless you are expected to walk around not wearing your glasses all the time so the various cameras recognise you.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Does this mean facial regonition won't recognise you if you go everywhere with a chessy grin?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this has always been the case?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Does this mean facial regonition won't recognise you if you go everywhere with a chessy grin?
That's exactly what I was wondering...the wife brought it up when getting her passport photo taken, and they had no idea.
I mean, think about it...if the photo needs to be a blank expression and no glasses (if you wear them), then how would facial recognition "recognise" you if you are any other way? At the airport in the USA in one airport we had to face a camera and have a "blank expression" and take your glasses off, but other than that we have been told that cameras can "recognise you as you pass".

Which brings us back to the need for a blank expression and no glasses...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe this topic is even worthy of a thread
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Same here in Victoria, not allowed to smile.

I look like a serial rapist in all my ID photos, but thats probably not the lack of smile being the problem
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my last licence 3 years ago and I'm pretty sure she said I could smile if I wanted.
But I didn't, so I just look ****ed off instead.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the problem is that we were paying something like fifty bucks for five years for a licence we were assured was "secure and unable to be copied", and now we're getting a new licence for fifty bucks a year or so that we are again assured is unable to be copied and is secure.

It's not a passport, it's a frigging driving licence...to be blunt it doesn't need that over the top level of security on it.

Remember the stink many many years ago when they wanted to introduce a form of ID called the "Australia card" that linked to everyones personal information and had to be carried with you at all times? Everyone went ape about it and shouted it down as authoritarian thin-edge-of-the-wedge stuff that sounded like old communist Russia.

However, bring in a new type of the exact same thing and call it a drivers licence, and everyone is forced to get one. Clever.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Should be easy enough not to smile considering the increased costs of licences here in Qld.
Kenoath!

My first one cost me $10 and lasted for 10 years!!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

The reaming we get in QLD for running costs etc wouldnt make you want to smile.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I believe the problem is that we were paying something like fifty bucks for five years for a licence we were assured was "secure and unable to be copied", and now we're getting a new licence for fifty bucks a year or so that we are again assured is unable to be copied and is secure.

It's not a passport, it's a frigging driving licence...to be blunt it doesn't need that over the top level of security on it.

Remember the stink many many years ago when they wanted to introduce a form of ID called the "Australia card" that linked to everyones personal information and had to be carried with you at all times? Everyone went ape about it and shouted it down as authoritarian thin-edge-of-the-wedge stuff that sounded like old communist Russia.

However, bring in a new type of the exact same thing and call it a drivers licence, and everyone is forced to get one. Clever.
nobody is forcing you to get one, it's not mandatory to have a drivers licence
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not unless you are expected to walk around not wearing your glasses all the time so the various cameras recognise you.
facial recognition can add things like glasses or facial hair (moustache) to your photo to make the comparison. no glasses and no expression is the 'baseline' face.
Old 13-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
hedgehobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
many people thought the new unsmiling licences were "not very flattering" and even "really ugly".

"It took like 20 minutes to get my picture taken because I couldn't stop laughing,'' one person commented

###
People are ugly and morons.

Who'd thunk it?
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

So "duck face selfies" are out!!
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Same here in Victoria, not allowed to smile.

I look like a serial rapist in all my ID photos, but thats probably not the lack of smile being the problem
last time I got mine the girl told me to smile
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Remember the stink many many years ago when they wanted to introduce a form of ID called the "Australia card" that linked to everyones personal information and had to be carried with you at all times? Everyone went ape about it and shouted it down as authoritarian t
I don't know about you guys but sounds like a pretty freakin' sweet idea to me, just have the one card (or now linked to your retina or something).

Want to go to the bank and take out money? Look in this scanner.

Want to buy smokes/alcohol? Look in this scanner (identifies you by age etc).

Anything to do with exchange of services just need to scan your eye or something, can't really copy a retina easily.

No need for bank card, drivers license, medicare card, ambulance membership etc.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
hedgehobb

You do realise how annoying it would be to lift something full of cooties to your face every time you wanted to buy something? And then subject your retina to a laser beam.

Anyway, what about we all have GPS ID micro chip embedded to everyone. You wouldn't need to carry a wallet, pesky things. Since it has "on-the-fly" real time tracking, woolies would be able to use that info to identify who you are and exactly how much money you have.

Hell, they could even find out so much personal information that they can have LCD price tags on each shelf that 'adjusts' to specials tailored for you. (eg Incontinence pants 3 for $5)
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Your drivers licence is the key for all identity proof in Australia, you even use it to get a passport, it is the first 'real' proof of ID you get

They are fraudulently copied more times than you know