Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Hally

Default Holden Epica - Turbo Diesel info

Hi All.

Get the laughing out the way early, but here is the story.

Due to a change in home location, I am driving about a 1,000km's a week for work/kids taci duties. I bought a diesel X-Tail last year and it is a great car, but I want to get the most out of the 3 year/100,000 km warranty, so combined with that and my partner needing a new car, we have decided to give her the X-Trail and I will get something 5 or 6 years old and keep running the kilometres up on it (plus I can service it myself etc).

So looking on the various car sales websites we came across Holden Epica's. On the surface it ticks a number of boxes for a car under $10,000. Such as:

- Turbo Diesel
- 6 speed auto
- less than 5 years old/ 100,000 kms
- plenty of features
- decent size

Whilst I have no doubt they would be a grandpa car to drive, the car we will get will just be an appliance so what I am looking for is any information from those in the know on reliability and longevity of the drivetrain.

Any info appreciated guys.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Epica - Turbo Diesel info

I can't comment on the car, I've never driven one but from reports they aren't a nice thing. However if it only being used from A to B you could buy anything really. If you wanted a car to actually drive its a different story. If you are looking around $10k and something newish Korean will most likely be it for you.

Keep in mind when you go to sell it don't be upset with what you will get for it down the track.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/used-...621-20ppk.html

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ho...7-present.html
Old 20-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Hally

Thanks Chopped. Read those reviews. Owners generally like them, journos not so much.
Old 20-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally View Post
Thanks Chopped. Read those reviews. Owners generally like them, journos not so much.
The logic that generally stands when it comes to things like this is similar to what you see with movies...professional critics hate a movie? It's probably well worth seeing, and the public will love it.

Professional car journos and critics spend their working lives exposed to some of the most amazing and expensive cars from all over the world that you or I would never even see in real life much less ever hold the keys for...I therefore find it hard to take much notice of them when they criticize some ordinary cheapish family car. They are looking down from on high, spending their days surrounded by exotic Euro sports cars and luxury vehicles of the highest calibre, and then they get chucked the keys to, say, an Epica or an ordinary old Falcon or something...what do you expect them to say...?

You see it also in some motorcycling magazines...2Wheels is an exception, they like most bikes of all sizes...but some mags only concentrate on the latest super-hyper-mega-sports bikes, and anything with less than 1200cc and 150hp is a piece of junk, not worth their time but worth their contempt.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also got to remember that everyday people who write reviews are generally from one extreme or another, that's the motivation to write them in the first place. They either absolutely love the car and need to sing it's praises, or it was a total dog and they need to bag the hell out of it. There isn't a lot of middle ground, the owner with the normal ownership experience won't bother to sign up to a website and write a review.
Old 20-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I service a couple at work, and to be honest I find them quite an acceptable thing to drive. Performance is good, surprisingly good when you drive it, and it should avg under 7l/100kms.

The same engine in the Captiva is prone to breaking rockers which causes massive engine failure, (google it). Havent heard of this issue with Epica but can only assume it exists, just that epica was sold in much lower numbers.

If your happy to take the risk on the engine, or ensure that its been done before, its pretty good value if under 10g
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant see why Epica would be an awful choice.

I can see how the OP would see it as a practical one. Simple and well enough equipped to get from A to B with a minimum of fuss. 110kw and 320nm will also ensure it moves well when you require.

About 6 months ago I made a purchase that I never would have contemplated 5 years ago. And I bought myself a white automatic Honda Accord Euro luxury. Its a grandpa car if Ive ever seen one. But it gets the job done everytime and I dont get hassles like I did in my supercharged Calais or my Octavia RS turbo.

Sometimes its nice to just blend right in...... Doesnt make me any less an enthusiast. I still have my Harley and my Mitsubishi Scorpion for that.

If YOU like the way the Epica drives, just buy it and drive it into the ground. What else matters if you intend to keep it long term where its resale value ceases to be a factor?

Does anyone know what the servicing and running costs are like?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awful, awful things. Had them at work and I cant remember anyone ever saying anything positive about them.
I guarantee anyone who likes them are either 70yo and doesnt know any better, or is in denial and is trying to not look stupid with their purchase.

Can only imagine the cost of parts when things start to go south. Go price a diesel pump and injectors for it, for example.

Seriously, if you are going to do a heap of Kms, buy a car that is very common!
A Hybrid Camry is 1000x better, and atleast if something does go wrong, theres a Toyota dealer in every town who knows how to fix it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The logic that generally stands when it comes to things like this is similar to what you see with movies...professional critics hate a movie? It's probably well worth seeing, and the public will love it.
LOLs
Mcdonalds must make the best food too, because its popular with the public
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Hally

Thanks for the feedback guys. To confirm, I haven't driven one yet but will so in the next couple of days.

Hvae also looked at a 2009 Mazda 6 diesel with a stuffed Diesel Particulate Filter. Mazda want $7k plus labour to fix. Ouch.
Old 20-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. To confirm, I haven't driven one yet but will so in the next couple of days.

Hvae also looked at a 2009 Mazda 6 diesel with a stuffed Diesel Particulate Filter. Mazda want $7k plus labour to fix. Ouch.
Thats an outrageous repair cost!!
Old 20-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Hally

Tell me about it. About half the cost going non genuine but apparently still need a Mazda dealer to clear codes etc.
Old 20-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have been in a few getting dropped off by the service centre when our ambulances go in for repair/servicing. They are horrible. Drivetrain noise that sounds like they have diff whine as well as the chrome peeling off the interior door handles on cars that are less than a year old.

They are a cheap daewoo, always will be. Even the service guys hate it and said they would prefer a cruze as a run about.
Old 20-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT GET. I have had one as a company car for 3.5 years. Finally got rid of it last month. It spent the last 3 months sitting at Holden as they could not work out why it kept on stalling. We had 40 of these in our fleet. 4 didn't get home the first day!! JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh and when you drive PLEASE do the world a favour and set fie to it. Sorry if I sound bitter!! hahahahaha .It took Holden 2 months to get a new fuel pump supplied.... 2 months!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Hi All.

Get the laughing out the way early, but here is the story.

Due to a change in home location, I am driving about a 1,000km's a week for work/kids taci duties. I bought a diesel X-Tail last year and it is a great car, but I want to get the most out of the 3 year/100,000 km warranty, so combined with that and my partner needing a new car, we have decided to give her the X-Trail and I will get something 5 or 6 years old and keep running the kilometres up on it (plus I can service it myself etc).

So looking on the various car sales websites we came across Holden Epica's. On the surface it ticks a number of boxes for a car under $10,000. Such as:

- Turbo Diesel
- 6 speed auto
- less than 5 years old/ 100,000 kms
- plenty of features
- decent size

Whilst I have no doubt they would be a grandpa car to drive, the car we will get will just be an appliance so what I am looking for is any information from those in the know on reliability and longevity of the drivetrain.

Any info appreciated guys.

Cheers,

Andrew
2.0 ltr twin cam phase VM Motori engine, 110kw (150hp) 320Nm (250flb)
pulling power from 950~4,000 RPM

auto 6, locking stall from 40kph, not a bad box. (need to learn your style)

final drive 2.20:1.

110kph @ 1250 RPM

ave expected fuel eco 5.5 (HWY) 7.8 (CITY)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
2.0 ltr twin cam phase VM Motori engine, 110kw (150hp) 320Nm (250flb)
pulling power from 950~4,000 RPM

auto 6, locking stall from 40kph, not a bad box. (need to learn your style)

final drive 2.20:1.

110kph @ 1250 RPM

ave expected fuel eco 5.5 (HWY) 7.8 (CITY)
On paper, they are a good buy. Just looked up the specs, you can get 2011 model for around 12-13k. A lot of car for the money.

Shame they didn't come in a wagon.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
On paper, they are a good buy. Just looked up the specs, you can get 2011 model for around 12-13k. A lot of car for the money.

Shame they didn't come in a wagon.
I thought could get in wagon?

they have got the same features as the cruze, but I don't like the exterior.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I thought could get in wagon?

they have got the same features as the cruze, but I don't like the exterior.
Epica is sedan only.

Old 20-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...because we all know absolutely nothing ever goes wrong with a Ford, or have had problems getting parts through a Ford dealer...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think the problem with the Epica wasn't necessarily the engine, VM Motori are the big boys of the small diesel engine world and they do a good product.

The rest of it was the let down, only worked on one once and it had a power steering leak after about 6 months, but hey so do like 95% of Falcons lol.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #23
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RA420 was designed by VM but produced by GM Deawoo. Epica is not a great car - buy a your peril...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
Hally

Sumo,

Not sold on one at all. Started the thread to get input from people who have had real world experience with them, as it was a car that fell into the sweet spot of the budget.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 21-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Sorry, I don't know much about the Epica, but those diesel Hyundai i30 wagons seem
to have pretty good regard? Considered one of those?

(Just a point of interest... How come there can be an orderly discussion here on
a diesel Holden Epica, but if the OP was considering buying an HSV GTS then the blue
bloods go berzerk?)
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
Sorry, I don't know much about the Epica, but those diesel Hyundai i30 wagons seem
to have pretty good regard? Considered one of those?
i30 diesel wagons are really holding their value. A decent late 09 to 10 model starts at around 14-15k, 2011 models are 16-18k and 2012 models are hard to get under 20k. (auto, diesel)

I was considering buying one, but will hold out for a near new i40 wagon next year, or when the Mrs needs to consider carting a pram around.

Old 21-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havent heard much in the way of negative feedback on the i30 diesel, what I have heard is of fantastic economy though...... Always a desirable attribute for a daily.
Old 21-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
zilo
BANNED

Fuel is the cheapest thing needed for the running of a car.
As others have mentioned you can easily be up for a years' supply of fuel in certain mechanical failures in a turbo diesel platform.

Just get a low km Falcon...maybe even put it on LPG.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised no one has suggested an E Gas Falcon, $10k will get you a low km BF and a lot easier/cheaper car to repair if/when it lets you down. Unless of course LPG is not readily available where you live?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I'm not quite sure on what your price range is, but this is just an example. You can pick these Santa Fe's for under $10k in auctions, they are so nice to drive. My Uncle owns a car yard and he has his wife/my Aunty driving one of these, in diesel as she goes out rural every weekend for country shows and it handles incredibly. Worth a look at some other options anyway before jumping into something you're a bit iffy on

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=1&sdmvc=1
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post