Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NSW Greenslips

Is it me or are greenslip prices going insane?

12 months on my Terry is now $532/annum and that looks cheap going by my comparison on the net.

There is now an MCIS Levy of $117 tacked on the premium apparently "to fund ambulance and hospital care for people injured in Motor vehicle accidents" This is what I thought the $378 premium is suppose to cover?

Can't complain (well I can on here ).....just got to keep paying.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Default Re: NSW Greenslips

How much on top of that do you pay for registration?

In Melbourne it's now $700 for registration and CTP for 12 months.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
creative
I am Batman

Totally agree!

My green slip is more expensive than my fully comp insurance!

Personally its an absolute scam. They should make it that if you have fully comp you don't need greenslip... Afterall its to cover those who don't buy insurance so why should I have to pay twice?

I just paid about $900 for greenslip and rego.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Afterall its to cover those who don't buy insurance so why should I have to pay twice?

Umm no its not.
The green slip is only to cover medicals for people injured in an accident. That is it.
Normal third party , comprehensive etc only covers property damage.
People really need to learn the difference!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
MrEL
Sick Puppy

But yes the prices are through the roof.
I own 2 utes , both of them registered and used for private use only. Green slip on each of them is $1100 for 12 months as they are a goods carrying vehicle.
Rego and green slip for me is around $1500 annually for each car and Im 36.....................
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

It's nothing more than a gravy train of social engineering. Taking the dumbest, lowest most inept stooge as a lowest common denominator who deserves a hand out for something of an injury they were born with....

It's a goal of masquerading stupidity and a gross lack of common sense into a blame game of guilt and handouts in a social, communist bid to redistribute funds and lock all those who need it not, into a hand out scheme.

You shouln't pay unless you caused the accident, and if you did cause it, and injured yourself, more fool you.

Can be said for so many aspects of life with taxes, levies.

It's about blaming everyone so none can be blamed.

Given the current levels of stupidity everyone is only going to pay more as the erosion of responsibility and consequences for actions continues.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

MCIS levy has been around for a good few years, longer than the 5+ years I've been paying it.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Umm no its not.
The green slip is only to cover medicals for people injured in an accident. That is it.
Normal third party , comprehensive etc only covers property damage.
People really need to learn the difference!
My fully comp covers me as well as the car in the event of an accident...
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
MCIS levy has been around for a good few years, longer than the 5+ years I've been paying it.
Ha shows you how close I look at the bills, my wife usually pays the bills so it's the first time I've seen it.

I remember when the RTA abolished having the CTP insurance inclusive of the rego fee, I think the promise was that it will create much needed competition and a drop in prices. Not once did I pay less it's just gone up every year

Quote:
How much on top of that do you pay for registration?

In Melbourne it's now $700 for registration and CTP for 12 months.
$470 for rego, so just a tad over $1K.

Absolute joke...
Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to do some reading on insurance. fully comprehensive covers all property damage and your own vehicle but not death or injury to third parties . CTP covers death or disability to injured third parties so you aren't paying twice for the same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Totally agree!

My green slip is more expensive than my fully comp insurance!

Personally its an absolute scam. They should make it that if you have fully comp you don't need greenslip... Afterall its to cover those who don't buy insurance so why should I have to pay twice?

I just paid about $900 for greenslip and rego.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

What car's that for Stefan?

My Cobra rego & green slips just come in.

Green slip $396, thought that was pretty reasonable.
Rego $569: breakdown, $59 rego fee, $411 Motor Vehicle Tax, $99 Annual, personalised coloured number plates fee.

Funny thing, I didn't think state governments were allowed to charge Tax?

Last edited by cobramania; 12-05-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both my 2002 Au and my 1995 Nf Fairlane are $433.76 with GIO
this is with 0 demerit points age 53 no accidents in the last 2 years and maximum no claim on my comprehensive insurance I feel that is reasonable

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
What car's that for Stefan?

My Cobra rego & green slips just come in.

Green slip $396, thought that was pretty reasonable.
Rego $569: breakdown, $59 rego fee, $411 Motor Vehicle Tax, $99 Annual, personalised coloured number plates fee.

Funny thing, I didn't think state governments were allowed to charge Tax?
2007 Territory.

Who is your greenslip with? Mine is GIO and they were the cheapest I found.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

SHOP AROUND!!! Use the online quoting sites.

Re-quote your own renewal, saved a heap doing that last year... same details, same bloody company!

Actually.... things are changing in NSW very soon. They have dropped the payouts people will be getting when injured by a car, and also capped the payments to 5 years (or something along those lines).

Was mentioned on talkback last week. I think changes kick in 1st July this year???

Apparently, savings of between $70-100 are on the cards?? Then again, I have saved that when shopping around already.

CTP is a bloody cash cow, that's for sure, I remember reading that the payouts are dismally low compared to the income the policies generate..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Jeez I just did a quote for a green slip on a Mazda 323 and all came back within $780-$795. Then you've got to add rego - for the Mazda, $250ish, and for the Falcon, $430ish. Big $$$$ to keep a car on the road in NSW. Then add your vehicle insurance of course.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
2007 Territory.

Who is your greenslip with? Mine is GIO and they were the cheapest I found.
Mine's with QBE.

Goto the Motor Accidents Authority web site, fill in the details, & it will give you a quote from every NSW Green Slip insurer.
You don't have to waste time ringing around or filling in multiple web quotes.
http://www.greenslips.nsw.gov.au/
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It also comes down to where you live as well ... even for CTP.

When I was out in the Hawkesbury (semi-rural) ... it was "affordable" ... when paying for 2 cars.

Come back over the river and into Sydney's west ... price goes through the roof.

It's around the $1K mark for each car for me as well ... like Stefan pointed out. Falcon also falls into the same weight-range as Territory so it's the same price as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

The story I am getting from insurance mobs is some extra charge has been added a few months back.

The greenslip for my GT back in January this year was $330, and now if I quote for the same thing its $440.

I have to rego the AU next month, and most greenslip quotes are coming in close to $500.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

My green slips gone up $29 from last year (same company, still the cheapest).
I got a letter saying if you notice an increase in the cost, it's because their investment income, where they source some of their payouts from (along with the premiums), has been negatively impacted due to the weak interest rates & changing economic conditions.
Would be better if it didn't go up at all, but $29 isn't too bad.

Some of the prices you guys are quoting, if circumstances haven't change, I think you're getting ripped. $330 in Jan this year to $440 now.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I paid $783 for my G6ET a few months ago. Add $471 for rego itself and it costs me $1254 for rego. Load of crap if you ask me. Under 25s get screwed.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I think NRMA is going to have re think my green slip.. Nearly $800 I'll take all my insurance elsewhere !! Its nearly doubled in 12 months..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
you need to do some reading on insurance. fully comprehensive covers all property damage and your own vehicle but not death or injury to third parties . CTP covers death or disability to injured third parties so you aren't paying twice for the same thing
According to my pds on my fully comp insurance....

"We will cover you or anyone who has your permission to use your vehicle for legal liability for: •death or bodily injury to other people, or •loss or damage to someone else’s property, during the period of insurance resulting from an accident caused by the use of your vehicle in Australia"

I know exactly what insurances cover what and may be playing devils advocate by saying the ctp is a rort... according to my pds I am covered, so why do I need ctp? It would appear i am paying twice. In terms of ambulance levies etc, Why not just put the levies into fully comp insurance?
Granted, I have never injured anyone to say I have used my insurance in that way but I just think the ctp is to get yet more money out of the motorist, even if I am doing my legal duty to ensure my vehicle is roadworthy and fully insured.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

the MCIS levy is a crock.
I dont see why I need to pay it for 2 vehicles - I can only use one at a time, so average it or something. And last year MCIS for a motorcycle was more than the ute.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats one thing Victorians can be happy about! About half the cost to register a car than NSW!
TAC (I guess thats like your greenslip) is included in our reg. Its a govt scheme so we dont get stooged by private companies making massive profits.

I know, my work pays about $430 for Reg and TAC in Geelong for a Newish Diesel Triton, and in NSW for our Tritons up there the same its well over $1000!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Wait till your injured in an accident!! Then will you complain?
Old 13-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
JoeDaleyN98

I work for nrMa who are the biggest holder of CTP in nsw and let me explain something's for you.

- green slip covers any third party INJURIES, that you cause in an accident, including people in your car.
- the MCIS levy, is for people who suffer injuries that ruin them for the rest of their lives, such as my step father, Sophie delezio... Etc. The initial
Claim and payout comes out of the bulk of the premium you pay, the rest of their rehab comes out of the levy, which in turn stops your green slips from going to high.
- the average green slip claim this year has risen from 90,000 to 150,000 bucks, and because green slips are a self funded scheme, (all money taken in must be enough to pay out expected claims) we as a company have to ensure premiums are high enough to cope with the claims we have.

There are green slip claimants who are up in the tens of millions of dollars for their Injuries and illnesses sustained by another persons actions.

If you have that sort of money laying around, don't bother paying your free slip, could save you $800 bucks
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

These are the changes I was referring to earlier if it of interest to anyone:

http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-tr...508-2j75y.html

Quote:
Green slips to get cheaper by removing blame game

DateMay 8, 2013

Maximum weekly benefits for injured motorists will be halved and all medical benefits cut off after five years under changes to the green slip insurance scheme which the NSW government says will deliver a 15 per cent discount on premiums.

After reviewing the system, Finance and Services Minister Greg Pearce said on Wednesday the government had decided to introduce a no-fault system similar to the one in Victoria.

However, unlike the Victorian scheme, which is underwritten by the government, the NSW system will be underwritten by the private sector.

The changes will be introduced as legislation in parliament this week.

Mr Pearce said the no-fault scheme would give injured workers quicker access to benefits by reducing long and costly legal disputes. He said significant claims take on average four years to determine.

He said maximum weekly benefits would be reduced from around $4000 to $2000, which is comparable to workers' compensation entitlements. People on incomes above $100,000 would be expected to take out income protection insurance.

Only people with more than 10 per cent whole person impairment would continue to have access to lump sum payments through the courts.

The expected 15 per cent discount on annual compulsory third party insurance premiums follow a 10 per cent increase last year. This would shave a net five per cent off the average premium of $550 in NSW.

Mr Pearce said insurance companies would no longer have access to super profits and motorists would start seeing reductions to the cost of the green slip renewals from later this year.

"At the moment the scheme is nothing more than a lawyers' picnic," he said.

"The scheme requires that someone is found at fault. By removing that we will be able to remove a large part of the administration cost and disputation cost that is currently bedevilling this scheme.

"That will not mean that hoons or people acting criminally or uninsured people will be covered by the scheme.

"We won't be removing common law rights for those who are more seriously injured."

Michael Tidball, chief executive officer of the Law Society NSW, said the changes were "bad news" for NSW motorists and their families.

He said the new no-fault scheme would result in a larger number of people claiming on the scheme and substantial cuts in benefits.

Negligent motorists will now be able to apply for claims, which will significantly increase their number.

"The effect of this on injured motorists and their families will mean they end up on the Centrelink queue by virtue of these changes," Mr Tidball said.

"Most people's injuries fail to meet the 10% whole person impairment and will deny them access to substantial lump sum compensation.

"Our concern is that these people will sooner or later be abandoned by the system and will end up relying on welfare or family support."

Opposition leader John Robertson said there were no winners as a result of the government's changes because they would reduce benefits and not deliver a significant reduction in premiums.

"NSW motorists are still going to be paying some of the highest premiums for green slips in the country," he said.

"This is a government who is best friends with the insurance companies. [It] increased premiums last year by 15 per cent and has given them a massive windfall on the back of that.

"Now he [Greg Pearce] says he will bring premiums back to somewhere where they were last year, but in doing so he is also cutting benefits to people and weekly payments will be halved as a result of these changes.

"The first thing the government should be doing is bringing the insurance companies in and holding them to account, getting them to open up the books and see the profits they are making on the back of green slips."

Mr Robertson said based on the Victorian experience using a no-fault scheme, NSW could expect to see a "massive blowout in costs".
People have also referenced that there will be a tie-in with the NDS (National Disability Scheme) so people may not be as worse off as described above. I have not looked into the NDS and its limitations.

Old 13-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaleyN98 View Post
I work for nrMa who are the biggest holder of CTP in nsw and let me explain something's for you.

- green slip covers any third party INJURIES, that you cause in an accident, including people in your car.
- the MCIS levy, is for people who suffer injuries that ruin them for the rest of their lives, such as my step father, Sophie delezio... Etc. The initial
Claim and payout comes out of the bulk of the premium you pay, the rest of their rehab comes out of the levy, which in turn stops your green slips from going to high.
- the average green slip claim this year has risen from 90,000 to 150,000 bucks, and because green slips are a self funded scheme, (all money taken in must be enough to pay out expected claims) we as a company have to ensure premiums are high enough to cope with the claims we have.

There are green slip claimants who are up in the tens of millions of dollars for their Injuries and illnesses sustained by another persons actions.

If you have that sort of money laying around, don't bother paying your free slip, could save you $800 bucks
Just curious, have you got any figures of what is paid out to injured persons compared to what income is generated from CTP premiums, across the entire state?

Old 13-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Is it me or are greenslip prices going insane?

12 months on my Terry is now $532/annum and that looks cheap going by my comparison on the net.

There is now an MCIS Levy of $117 tacked on the premium apparently "to fund ambulance and hospital care for people injured in Motor vehicle accidents" This is what I thought the $378 premium is suppose to cover?

Can't complain (well I can on here ).....just got to keep paying.
My TTG is comp insured through Shannon's, and through them my green slip is only going to be $409, compared to the nrma renewal I just got passed on from the previous owner of $605.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
I think NRMA is going to have re think my green slip.. Nearly $800 I'll take all my insurance elsewhere !! Its nearly doubled in 12 months..
I'm considering the same thing.
I have 2 greenslips, 2 CTP, 2 roadside assist, building and contents with NRMA.
Whenever I get a renewal NRMA is always cheapest when I quote around because of multi policy discounts, but possibly if I take ALL my policies elsewhere I will get a better total price.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post