Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Temporary shed with pallet racking

I was thinking of using some old sheeting and c channel I have on top of dexion frames to build a temporary garage.

Basically 3 sets of dexion frames set 6 meters apart.

I I

I I

I I

Then run the c channel lengthwise across the frames. I can let the sheet go over one side a meter where it will attach to a wall on top of c channel. Gives me 2.8 meters between frames to get the car in which is plenty. Frames are 800 wide so between frames its a clear space approx 4.8x 4.0. Undercover area is 12 x 4.0

I can't see any reaason why not. Details for fixing, getting some slope etc will need to be sorted but no dramas done properly. Will tek screw the dexion beams to the frame as well as put the frame locks in. Bolt the frames down and one C channel will be bolted to a brick wall anyways.

I used to be a roof chippy so I have enough background in contruction to know what needs to be done.

Im kinda stuck going in circles where I need space but I haven't got time to go through council for aproval on something permanent. So something strong and waterproof for a year or two that doesnt waste too much time and money is the goal.

I have most of the material also - need 500 bucks in extra frames and some bolts is about it. I think I even have enough guttering lying around.

If council gets upset I can pull it down without too much cost. I can also argue its scaffolding and protective structure while I repair sections of my house. My neighbours are wangs so a good chance someone will complain.

Anyone else done something similar?

danmc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Temporary shed with pallet racking

have been tempted to do something similar myself , except in a car port arrangement, the only thing that has stopped me is i have been planning to see what's involved in council regs to doit legally, my thoughts are it may not be all that much more to do it in a more permanent(with council approval) way but still on the cheap??? ........well hoping so anyway.

Actually i built a spare room out of second hand materials about 15 years ago(no permit), it is getting a bit sad now and i`m thinking of doing it on a much bigger scale(legally), but the council minefield of rules and regs just sits in the back of my mind, i`ll bite the bullet later this year i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a lot of councils it's the roof that counts.
If you use a solid roof it needs council approval but if you use shade cloth, canvas etc it doesn't.

It would be worth checking as there are some good quality tarps out there now.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually tarps would solve a lot of problems anyway as I can just wrap them right down the walls. I keep going back and fowards between buying tarps and using the sheets I have but if coucil cant touch me on tarps thats the way to go, good point.

I might just put the sheets on then wrap it in tarps - confuse the hell out of the council ranger.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Glad you ain't living next to me.. Pallet racking , tarps?
Get real...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sigh. Theres always one.

It's temporary mate, and yes I'm pretty glad you don't live near me too.

Though averages being what they are, someone like you probably does.
Old 13-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
tony302coupe

I would put roofing on the racking, because you can stack roofing on racking.
tony302coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony302coupe View Post
I would put roofing on the racking, because you can stack roofing on racking.
Haha, tell them I'm just storing the sheets there I guess you mean. Not a bad idea. Some old sheets, some bricks stacked on top - Voilà!
Old 13-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually what if I just put my hoists out the back and left an old car on top?
Old 13-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Mate, I'm no expert (actually, i kinda am as im an architect) and I'm not familiar with the area you live in as to how windy it is, but with this type of thing you need to be more worried with uplift. It all needs to be properly anchored down (eg concrete pad footings) to stop it flying away. Would hate to see your car damaged when the wind picks it up.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread

Last edited by Pepscobra; 13-05-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
GT2

Why not buy a shipping container and use as a temorary garage. You can sell it when no longer required.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I'm worried about uplift as well, I was going to bolt it down and strap the tarp down as well plus bolt one side to the house. My house is very tall and it will be very sheltered behind it but hard to predict wind in a one off event.

On the shipping containers, I already have 2 and they are my other option for storage but the problem I have is that nothing is getting done since I have no space to work. So a container would mean I had to roll them out all the time etc. I do keep considering it though. I also think about cutting a side off a container, putting them together etc.
Old 13-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Mate... you need to be more worried with uplift. It all needs to be properly anchored down (eg concrete pad footings) to stop it flying away. .
Absolutely valid point, in a similar vein the Dexion style racking is designed to hold vertically imposed loads with very minimal horizontal. By adding a sail...I mean cladding the horizontal wind load will be significant and possibly overload the possible anchoring through liteweight base plates and bolts. Im afraid By the time the racking system is modified to actually suit the purpose it might be a lot less cost effective.
But Im not saying don't do it or it wont work, just don't go blindly.
How tall are you thinking of going?

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
Why not buy a shipping container and use as a temorary garage. You can sell it when no longer required.
Or 2 and get one of those iglue between the 2

gives you lock up storage in the containers and out of weather sotrage for your car

http://www.iglooshelters.com.au/

or on a budget something in between as in 2 X 20' boxes (6m long) put them say 4m apart and put a simple room between the 2 painted up it wouldnt be as bigger eyesaw as pallet racking and tarps and as I sad above would give you lock up storage as well

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I would go igloo style but havent got the width.

I did think about the design limitation of the racking and it really worried me. Until I looked at the engineering that goes into a similar structure - eg patios and carports made with thin tubing.

I know the suction effect increases when you fill in the sides so it has to be compared to a demountable building or enclosed patio.

Looking at enclosed patios - plenty I have seen are patio tube into a small concrete footing with slabs around them. I think with the beams tek screwed into the uprights and the structure secured to a brick wall that is taller, plus 200 mill c channel spanning it - strength should be ok. I doubt it will lift the whole thing but yeh still thinking about it.

I think that like most roof structures, the joint between the covering and the structure ends up being the weak point.
Old 13-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point on the horizontal load strength that just occurred to me - it has been designed to carry 2 tonnes per shelf in an environment where a multi tonne forklift might bang into it. So probably there is more side load factor built in than I previously figured.
Old 13-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of years ago I pulled down a patio cover which would be similar in size to what you are thinking about. It had been up for the best part of 30yrs . all aluminium and when I sold it for scrap weighed 150 kg at the most. High wind area (for Brisbane) the main beam 6 mtrs long would have been 20 kg max . As you are a tradie you would already know , dynabolt it and sensible amount of rafters and she won't go nowhere especially attached to a house.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc View Post
Another point on the horizontal load strength that just occurred to me - it has been designed to carry 2 tonnes per shelf in an environment where a multi tonne forklift might bang into it. So probably there is more side load factor built in than I previously figured.
Relatively easy to calculate once knowing height, length and where its being built but Id suggest a decent breeze will add significantly greater horizontal load than a loaded Forklift. But that load is localised vs the distributed load of the wind. Would be interesting to calculate to be sure...any engineers out there?

JP
Old 14-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh well I'm committed now. Bought the canvas already. Actually got two 7meter x 9 meter tarps and two 5 x 20 meter ones for 350 bucks. They have the rope edges so should be able to fix them down hard.

Its going to end up 3.6 high x 4 meters wide by 12 meters long if anyone with access to engineering calcs wants to ballpark it.

Sounds like a circus tent when I read that size back to myself.

Edit - my math isnt that bad - they threw in the extra tarps I'm not planning on using them all on this.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
Some councils need aproval for shipping containers as well
Anything with a fixed roof area of 10 SQM , ie bigger than a 3 m x 3 M garden shed needs to go thru council
If your in the burbs expect everyone to complain about something Jed Clampet build near their nice little palaces
If your in the country or acreage , youll be a lot safer

Go to auctions and by C purlins and go thru the effort to build it right the first time
I bought brand new 200 C purlins for $3 a metre thru an auction house in brissie
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Some councils need aproval for shipping containers as well
I can understand why as well, these things can be bloody eyesaws, done properly they are fine, but a scatty tired old 40' box in a front yard looks like crap

when I brought my place there was one such 40' box parked in front of the shed in full view of the street, the vendor offered it to me for $1,000 I tried to call his bluff and told him if he wants to leave it thats fine but I'm not paying for it,

the bugga sold it, it would have come in handy, but I would have had to move it and I dont know that I would have got $1000 of value out of it as I would have had to put a roof on it as well as reposition it, I have to say as I work with these things every day, I'm quite happy not to look at one when I come home

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc View Post
Its going to end up 3.6 high x 4 meters wide by 12 meters long if anyone with access to engineering calcs wants to ballpark it.
Without knowing where in the country you are and what the elevation is and what neighborhood you live and orientation to the wind of the tysructure a basic calculation suggests approximately 510kg/f per ms at wind of 5000Pa or equivalent of over 22000kg's across the long side.
Worst case based on published wind tables. Bit more than a forklift maybe. Im not an engineer but can read the tables presented to me
JP
Old 14-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I can understand why as well, these things can be bloody eyesaws, done properly they are fine, but a scatty tired old 40' box in a front yard looks like crap
I believe you mean eyesore, no such thing as an eyesaw.

Interesting thread, as storage/workspace is always an issue for me as well.

I would say if you are in suburbia you will have the council and neighbours on your back as soon as this goes up.

If on a property in the bush you might be fine for a while may be even a long while like for ever, but I can not see neighbours taking kindly to this sort of structure in a suburban environment.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or 2 and get one of those iglue between the 2

gives you lock up storage in the containers and out of weather sotrage for your car

http://www.iglooshelters.com.au/

or on a budget something in between as in 2 X 20' boxes (6m long) put them say 4m apart and put a simple room between the 2 painted up it wouldnt be as bigger eyesaw as pallet racking and tarps and as I sad above would give you lock up storage as well
This looks like a great idea if on a property, but I bet it would not be cheap.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive got 2 ,20 footers about 7.5 M apart ,with a fixed roof between them
Fully locked storage sheds, with room to work between
Been there about 9 years now,real handy
But im on acreage,and can only be seen from above
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think in our council you need a permit for even small sheds.

To be clear, I'm also trying to renovate the house. It's a 50's house that is as ugly as sin. About half the houses nearby are the same.

When I bought it I tried to get the council to look at the fact that the previous owner did shoddy and illegal additions. The council took no interest. I took out insurance to cover the situation before I bought it. Can't recall what its called but one of the real estate people suggested it. My impression of the council is that they take a reasonable view if you remain calm and reasonable yourself. But they have their own issues as well. They approved a faulty plan that the neighbours tried to submit that would have allowed the neighbours to build on our land and cut off our driveway with an 1100 mm retaining wall. Classic.

Anyhow, its pretty hidden behind my house and I'm just going to make it as neat and strong and short term as I can.

I would like to build a full on garage and just do it properly but I'm in a bootstrapping situation. The whole house and block need to be planned properly before I add a garage but I haven't got the time. I have to move my shop and I need to get out of the storage I have my cars in. I can't finish my cars off, can't store anything and cant get onto the house reno unless I do something short term. I would get different storage but I found with the last storage that the distance from home was a huge overhead that prevented me catching up on work.

Finally, my neighbours have been assholes for years now, especially when they developed their blocks. So under normal circumstances I would care more about them but in this case its just what they deserve.

Last edited by danmc; 15-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go see a private building certifier ,they'll help push the council with building issues ...
Most councils now void any or all responsibility by using private building certifiers
Its good really as the certifiers are on site for issues you want,not like council where they will hassle you for other issues they don't like
Local council website will have info on building codes,thats better reading than dealing with half the muppets at council who wouldn't know a purlin bolt from a pogo stick