Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
rickh25345
Starter Motor

Default PowerShift “Transmission Malfunction” error

Near new (company car)2012 Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi Hatch has had a PowerShift transmission failure - vehicle has less than 1600km on the clock, 6 weeks old. Not even through the second tank of diesel yet.

The only warning was a “chime” and the car lost drive, an error message displayed : “Transmission Malfunction”. I turned the vehicle off, waited a few minutes, restarted and managed to get the vehicle another couple of hundred meters up the road and it happened again. Off&On again – another few hundred meters and pulled into a carpark - it appears the vehicle “lost” 3rd gear and reverse (found that out by reverting to “manual” mode) – vehicle would rev out in 2nd and then thud into 4th . Engine light also came on. Managed to get to work and called 800 DeadFord – got taken away on the back of a truck. They’ve now had the car for two weeks and advise they’ve never seen this before... they can recreate the problem once the vehicle gets hot (operating temp). They’re “importing” another transmission from “overseas” – minimum two weeks to arrive (from where?) then time to fit. Been helpful and supplied a loan vehicle however this is not a good look in terms of local spares (or otherwise).

Worst bit is (please don’t flame me) that I’m a Holden fan-boy (and am used to seeing Fords on the back of trucks J) but no choice in Company vehicle. Seriously though - I have to admit that up to the morning of the failure I was really impressed with this car and had been talking it up. It is a seriously good piece of kit and continued to surprise me. Of course I’m now getting so much 5hite back now from those that knew I had been on the dark side .......

Anyone seen this fault on a PowerShift-equipped vehicle (as I understand this is fitted to other models)? And if so, was it actually the transmission? Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

rickh25345 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
nevetsg

Default Re: PowerShift “Transmission Malfunction” error

Hi, it looks like no one else here has had the same issue.

I am no mechanic so all I can say is that your best bet may be to look at the European forums. There are a lot more Mondeo's over there..
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep us up to date mate!
Not a great start there...
Old 21-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't feel bad, I see plenty of red teams cars on the side of the roadway with the bonnet up, I don,t know a lot about powershift except from what I have read,
the ford ones seem a bit less problematic as a rule than some other well known. Car brands, good luck with it anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
rickh25345
Starter Motor

Angry Re: PowerShift “Transmission Malfunction” error

Cheers for the best wishes.... can't find any traffic on this problem on Ford UK/Europe forums either. The real issue is that Ford NZ do not have a Powershift gearbox on the shelf as a spare part, and, as I’m advised they’ve not replaced one of these before (in NZ), they’ve clearly NEVER had a spare. These vehicles/transmissions have been around for over 12 months. There must be thousands out there. Further, the fact that it has to come from UK/Europe would indicate that Ford Australia have none either - if they did why would they not airfreight it overnight to Ford NZ and solve the Customer’s problem. Begs the questions as to what other parts Ford in Australasia are not carrying for their warranty repairs. Current timeframe will have the car off the road for 5 weeks. If I’d paid for this vehicle with my own money we’d be having a very different conversation – my people their people... It shouldn’t make any difference but...
Old 29-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: PowerShift “Transmission Malfunction” error

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh25345 View Post
Near new (company car)2012 Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi Hatch has had a PowerShift transmission failure - vehicle has less than 1600km on the clock, 6 weeks old. Not even through the second tank of diesel yet.

The only warning was a “chime” and the car lost drive, an error message displayed : “Transmission Malfunction”. I turned the vehicle off, waited a few minutes, restarted and managed to get the vehicle another couple of hundred meters up the road and it happened again. Off&On again – another few hundred meters and pulled into a carpark - it appears the vehicle “lost” 3rd gear and reverse (found that out by reverting to “manual” mode) – vehicle would rev out in 2nd and then thud into 4th . Engine light also came on. Managed to get to work and called 800 DeadFord – got taken away on the back of a truck. They’ve now had the car for two weeks and advise they’ve never seen this before... they can recreate the problem once the vehicle gets hot (operating temp). They’re “importing” another transmission from “overseas” – minimum two weeks to arrive (from where?) then time to fit. Been helpful and supplied a loan vehicle however this is not a good look in terms of local spares (or otherwise).

Worst bit is (please don’t flame me) that I’m a Holden fan-boy (and am used to seeing Fords on the back of trucks J) but no choice in Company vehicle. Seriously though - I have to admit that up to the morning of the failure I was really impressed with this car and had been talking it up. It is a seriously good piece of kit and continued to surprise me. Of course I’m now getting so much 5hite back now from those that knew I had been on the dark side .......

Anyone seen this fault on a PowerShift-equipped vehicle (as I understand this is fitted to other models)? And if so, was it actually the transmission? Any feedback appreciated, thanks.
So you have experienced what many VW owners have also. All euro sourced cars are expensive to service and a real worry when out of warranty. That's what puts me off.....result boring reliable Toyota s etc

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
rickh25345
Starter Motor

Wait – there’s more. I’m now advised that Ford only stock spares based on parts usage history – guess what? Since allegedly this transmission has no history of failure here (or in Australia) – there’s no spares held in Australasia. And it gets even better. The agreed timeline (being two weeks so as not to set any unrealistic expectations) is not going to be met. When will the part(s) arrive? Ford NZ clearly have no idea.............
Old 30-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the risk of repeating myself, Ford, BEWARE, Toyota own this space (FWD)!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
stuart

Slightly off topic but interesting - having a spare doesn't mean the price will be reasonable although at least you will be mobile again which is the main point. A mate at work here in Germany had his radio reception deteriorate on his 3 yo Bimma 1 series. Seems there is an antenna amplifier located externally under the rear cowling of the car which had corroded from water + salt on the roads etc.
400.- Euro later his reception is again normal - wow, that is a way to make money!
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
blatchie

Our 2011 did that . We are now waiting for a transmission . Its on a slow boat from somewhere . ETA first week in April.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
caprispecial

I cant understand why dealers would replace the gearbox when its probably the most reliable part of the powershift setup. Its just a box of cogs much like any other manual. Its more than likely that it is the computer thats giving erratic signals. Why? Its been found that the earthing points in the electrics (there are at least four) are not conducting properly causing all sorts of problems. Solution in many cases is as simple as scraping the paint off the body at the earthing point and refitting the earth wires.
caprispecial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post