Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is this an axle out job??

Well I have come very close to getting my wagon ready to go through Vicroads having been changed to a V8.

I have though hit a small hurdle as my mechanic wants me to adjust the handbrake as it is for all intense and purpose useless.

This issue stems back to geelong differentials (NEVER WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM UNLESS I WANTED TO RECOMMEND THE WORSE PLACE POSSIBLE!!!!)

Anyway is this going to require the axles to be pulled out?? If it is I will be getting my mechanic to do it as I want the dam car back on the road before Xmas and I am not ready to learn how to pull axles out at the moment....plus 10 months has already been way way too long with the car off the road!!

So here it is...
The axle.

The lovely result of a leaking bearing...

The lovely result of a leaking bearing...continued

I believe this is the retaining clip for the handbrake pads, but there is noway I can get near it...

And here is the bolt I believe will be holding the axle up against the backing plate?

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Is this an axle out job??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau View Post
Well I have come very close to getting my wagon ready to go through Vicroads having been changed to a V8.

I have though hit a small hurdle as my mechanic wants me to adjust the handbrake as it is for all intense and purpose useless.

This issue stems back to geelong differentials (NEVER WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM UNLESS I WANTED TO RECOMMEND THE WORSE PLACE POSSIBLE!!!!)

Anyway is this going to require the axles to be pulled out?? If it is I will be getting my mechanic to do it as I want the dam car back on the road before Xmas and I am not ready to learn how to pull axles out at the moment....plus 10 months has already been way way too long with the car off the road!!

So here it is...
The axle.
You adjust the linings by turning the adjuster on the right hand side of the hub in that picture.

Turn it out a few full turns until it drags on the disk, then back it off a frag.

You might still need to adjust the handbrake cable.

You don't need to remove the axle.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
You adjust the linings by turning the adjuster on the right hand side of the hub in that picture.

Turn it out a few full turns until it drags on the disk, then back it off a frag.

You might still need to adjust the handbrake cable.

You don't need to remove the axle.
Thanks a ton for that!! I played around with it for ages and just couldn't figure out how to adjust it so figured it must be in under it somewhere.

Heading out to the shed now to go and get this sorted...

Toy Car Build
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
EL.50
Just cruisin'

The handbrake also has adjustment in the car
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All done now. Thanks guys

Yes there is adjustment in the car but that was maxed out already.

Toy Car Build
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I'd recommend backing off the cable adjustments (in car only I believe), adjust it at the wheels, and then tweak the cable to get it just tight enough. That way, you have some adjustment left without needing to remove the brakes. And if your AU is anything like mine, you'll need it within a couple of @$%^# months!
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A bit late now but there is a "How to " in the usefull threads section sticky at the top of the page
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11250257

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
A bit late now but there is a "How to " in the usefull threads section sticky at the top of the page
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11250257
Yep I thought there was one lying around but forgot to look there :/ All good though.

Although, I will say make sure once you have adjusted it yank the handbrake on/off several times as I found it settled back a lot!! I have now adjusted it in the car as far as it will go and it is just ok.

Looks like I will be adjusting it again over the weekend...Pretty glad it is a nice easy job

Toy Car Build