Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Young driver education program scrapped in QLD

Well we all beat our chest about how important it is to educate young drivers about the dangers of "bad driving" (ie hooning).... it seems to have fallen on deaf ears in QLD.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...9748_news.html

Quote:
A VITAL driver safety program for high school students has been cut despite the North's road toll soaring.

The Roads, Attitudes and Action Planning program is just one of four community education programs that have been cut by the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service as the agency struggles to implement budget cuts mandated by the State Government.

It comes as the state's road toll continues to rise, with 239 people losing their lives across Queensland already this year, including 17 in North Queensland, five more than the region's total road toll for 2011.

The RAAP program cut has been slammed by victims and emergency service workers who say it will put more young lives at risk.

The program, which involved firefighters visiting high schools and playing footage from road accidents, was introduced in the late 1990s and has been presented to more than 30,000 Year 12 students across the state every year.

The adjoining Fight Fire Fascination program, which aims to deter young children from setting fires, has also been cut, along with two other programs aimed at young offenders: Juvenile Arson Offenders program and the Motor Vehicle Offenders program.

The closure of the programs follows a last-ditch appeal by firefighters to save them.

United Firefighter Union Queensland Townsville representative Peter Marten said workers were disappointed the programs had been axed.

"A lot of our work is prevention," he said.

"The RAAP program is designed and targeted at that high-risk age group of kids who are just getting their licences.

"Firefighters see the consequences (of unsafe road behaviour) and we see the injuries.

"The fatalities make the headlines, but there are so many people who are permanently disabled or carry injuries after a silly decision or accident occurs."

Kennedy mother Julie Russell, whose teenage son James suffered head, lung, rib and ankle injuries in a motorcycle accident near their home the day after Cyclone Yasi, said it was important young drivers were aware what could happen to them on the roads.

"They come out thinking they're bulletproof and that it's not going to happen to them," she said.

"Even now, James says, 'Why didn't I have my helmet and my boots on?'."

Ms Russell said James would always be affected by brain damage sustained in the accident.

"It's a very tragic thing for a young person to go through and it affects everybody in his life; his friends, his family, his employer, everyone," she said.

Hinchinbrook Shire Mayor and former police traffic branch officer of 30 years Rodger Bow said driver safety education could save lives.

"Road safety is a whole of government responsibility and Police, Emergency Services along with the lead agency Queensland Transport will continue to promote it tirelessly."

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: Young driver education program scrapped in QLD

As tempting as it is to turn this thread political, I'll refrain.

Enough said.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

The public gets what the public wants.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO View Post
The public gets what the public wants.
Public gets misled and history always repeats
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I similar program ran in my NSW school during year 11/12 a few years ago prompted me to sell my EA falcon with a safer BA Xt.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My year level did this back in year 12. All students in the year level combined together in the performance space to be given a lecture from members of the fire brigade. After the lecture, a girl in my class said it scared her so much she didn't want to get into a car anymore.

I didn't find it that bad though. A year before, my year level was offered an excursion to the Chandler Sports center where the Rotary club has its own driver education program. One of the rotational activities involved a cop showing a video which was full of crash victims I'm sure were dead, including an infant in a baby capsule that looked dead too. I think that was more disturbing to watch than what the firies showed us.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was at school we were told we would go through a road safety class.
That was the last I heard of it.
I don't know if I was away on the day they had it or what, but I never heard about it again.
It's better then nothing I support programs like that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW still does this as far as i am aware, i could not be stuffed going to one of these when i had my p's and i still would not gonow.

that been said its terrible QLD is cutting everything, thats what you get when you vote for liberal rednecks whos only stragtigy is to tighten their purse strings as much as they can.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Maybe they should start with cutting all the filth in Parliament benefits?

The pollie who suggests this would have a very short career.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I never got any thing like this in school.....

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
I never got any thing like this in school.....
Mate, neither did I.
The day I turned 17 I walked into the local cop shop in the morning and said I want a learner's permit. The copper asked me why and I said it's my birthday, I'm 17. He said but you've been driving for years. He wrote it out and when I went back in after lunch he just wrote out the licence!

But times change; we need to educate our kids today in so many ways because parents don't do the things they used to. We'd step out of line and get a quick clip from the old man. If we stepped out of line in a car, someone would see us and it would get back to the local copper - size 14 coming up and a lecture like you wouldn't believe.

More kids today have no idea, no respect and wouldn't have a clue what responsibility meant which is why these programs need to be addressed in school. They need to be rolled out in ALL high schools Australia wide.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Scaring new drivers with pictures of horrific injuries while not spending a single cent on training drivers to PREVENT these injuries isn't a program I'd want to fund.

They are useless, much like the cigarette adverts that show all the rotten lungs. Do they really think that we don't know the consequences?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool View Post
Scaring new drivers with pictures of horrific injuries while not spending a single cent on training drivers to PREVENT these injuries isn't a program I'd want to fund.

They are useless, much like the cigarette adverts that show all the rotten lungs. Do they really think that we don't know the consequences?
The programs need to run in conjunction - one won't work without the other.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are countless programs aimed at young drivers yet no proof that any of them actually reduce road trauma or change the attitude of young drivers

what we actually need is one program, and one only, that does work not duplication of untested and unproven ones
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

wont be long until cutback cambell runs out of things to cut. there isnt a day goes by when you dont hear of something new that they are closing up.

it has always jokingly been said that qld is 10 years behind the rest of australia. the rate we are going this year we will be 50 years behind by christmas. unbelievable.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Oh well more government cuts, nothing unusual.
For your kids just make sure you teach them to drive safely....I taught my two and they are doing fine.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a private school here in Vic and we only got a lecture about driving after my mate done a massive stand still in the long driveway. But my gf at the time, she went to a public school got some sort of class in driver safety for 100 minutes every second week for a siemister.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
My year level did this back in year 12. All students in the year level combined together in the performance space to be given a lecture from members of the fire brigade. After the lecture, a girl in my class said it scared her so much she didn't want to get into a car anymore.

I didn't find it that bad though. A year before, my year level was offered an excursion to the Chandler Sports center where the Rotary club has its own driver education program. One of the rotational activities involved a cop showing a video which was full of crash victims I'm sure were dead, including an infant in a baby capsule that looked dead too. I think that was more disturbing to watch than what the firies showed us.
i hope your not suggesting that its too harsh, or its fair that its deleted for our youths. Because thats garbage. This is just a cost cutting scam by the powers at be...the funds will no doubt be directed somewhere that generates revenue.
Its not even HUMANE this sort of thing. (making our kids miss out on this sort of education) Young people NEED to be SCARED of cars and what happens when you abuse or FORGET TO RESPECT them.
These latest cost cutting scams by the gov are way to harsh. My wife has just been "let go" from her job in government DISABILITY SERVICES. They changed a legislation 1 week before she recieved her notice...which prevented her from recieving 8weeks plus other bonuses by extending the timelimit for the benifits.(thats cutting a looong story short)
Oh and the person that got to keep her job over my wifes, was friends with a boss two tiers up and despite having 2months on the job as oppossed to 4 years ...was given the job. tell me thats not dodgy
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:

we know....but teens either dont have a clue or dont care. Both myself and my wife both remember this program done with the police and fireies...and both agree it was not only extremely memorable....but enlightening. THOSE PICS YOU SEE ON THE NEWS AND IN MAGAZINES AFRE REAL DEAD PEOPLE...not what these lucky school kids get to see.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Oh well more government cuts, nothing unusual.
For your kids just make sure you teach them to drive safely....I taught my two and they are doing fine.
im sure youd feel better knowing there friends and other young drivers they pass on the road have the same enlightenment as your kids.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
i hope your not suggesting that its too harsh, or its fair that its deleted for our youths. Because thats garbage. This is just a cost cutting scam by the powers at be...the funds will no doubt be directed somewhere that generates revenue.
Its not even HUMANE this sort of thing. (making our kids miss out on this sort of education) Young people NEED to be SCARED of cars and what happens when you abuse or FORGET TO RESPECT them.
These latest cost cutting scams by the gov are way to harsh. My wife has just been "let go" from her job in government DISABILITY SERVICES. They changed a legislation 1 week before she recieved her notice...which prevented her from recieving 8weeks plus other bonuses by extending the timelimit for the benifits.(thats cutting a looong story short)
Oh and the person that got to keep her job over my wifes, was friends with a boss two tiers up and despite having 2months on the job as oppossed to 4 years ...was given the job. tell me thats not dodgy
I never suggested any program was too harsh in any way. Kids do need to be shown what the consequences are when they abuse their privileges of controlling a motor car and I was not satisfied when I found out it was to be scrapped. I thought it was an enjoyable experience and showing disturbing images are only a small part of driver education programs.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
we know....but teens either dont have a clue or dont care. Both myself and my wife both remember this program done with the police and fireies...and both agree it was not only extremely memorable....but enlightening. THOSE PICS YOU SEE ON THE NEWS AND IN MAGAZINES AFRE REAL DEAD PEOPLE...not what these lucky school kids get to see.
But it won't let you become a better driver, no skills are being taught. The purpose is to scare you into accepting unreasonable fines and speed limits.
Old 14-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

In my opinion they don't Give a flying *!%$ about road safety so why would they bother funding it. It doesn't raise revenue, oops I mean save lives like speed cameras do.
Old 14-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it won't let you become a better driver, no skills are being taught. The purpose is to scare you into accepting unreasonable fines and speed limits.
Um why would you be scared into breaking the speed limit?
not following the logic...

This program isnt about better driving, its about showing young drivers the consequences of their actions.

Old 14-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Um why would you be scared into breaking the speed limit?
not following the logic...

This program isnt about better driving, its about showing young drivers the consequences of their actions.
exactly...some people dont think i swear.
And just because WE know they dont care about a set of courses that make them no revenue...doesnt mean they dont work or arent needed.

Doesnt matter anyway...looks like the ones here who dodnt think it matters that they are taught....your kids will learn the hard way....when they are wrapped around a pole covered in there mates blood and screams. THEN..IF they survive theyl learn to respect driving and cars...
Old 15-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
exactly...some people dont think i swear.
And just because WE know they dont care about a set of courses that make them no revenue...doesnt mean they dont work or arent needed.

Doesnt matter anyway...looks like the ones here who dodnt think it matters that they are taught....your kids will learn the hard way....when they are wrapped around a pole covered in there mates blood and screams. THEN..IF they survive theyl learn to respect driving and cars...
Just for the record, my comment was tongue in cheek. It's absolute bullcrap that they scrap programs like this, it really does prove that they dont really care.

Last edited by flappist; 15-11-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: leave the politics out
4.0i_SiX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if they are scrapping a plan that was not working and might replace it with one that more is more practical and less "Brothers Grimm".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I wonder if they are scrapping a plan that was not working and might replace it with one that more is more practical and less "Brothers Grimm".
Considering the continual "we are totally broke, lets sack everyone/ scrap all projects" mentality its highly doubtful.