Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Vinyl wrap.

Hi everyone. I am wanting to vinyl wrap a car. I want to do it my self. My brother who used to work with vinyl is going to help. What I am looking for is a place that can sell the vinyl to the public. Does anyone a place I can get the vinyl from in Melbourne. Needs to be vinyl that shrinks with heat, unlike the vinyl they use for stickers.

Old 22-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: Vinyl wrap.

there is a few selling it here-
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_t...at=0&_from=R40

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Old 23-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr

Thanks for the link. Just trying to stay from eBay.
Old 23-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're going to need a fair bit for a car but these people in the US have some for use on the outside of a car etc.

http://www.rvinyl.com/

I used their dash wrap on my custom 4Runner dash and its great stuff and easy to apply using a proper heat gun. Took 5 days to receive.

Old 23-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try either of these places. They supply to the industry & we buy loads of vinyl from them at work.

http://www.gamart.com.au/

http://www.spandex.com/au/

They have a great range of vinyl to choose from & there are heaps of varieties available for vehicle wraps. When you browse through their pages you will see the different types.

Look for what is called "cast" Vinyl. It is the best quality & also if you can get it with the air release backing it will save you popping a heap of bubbles. Give them a call or email & they can help you with what will be right for you.

Just be aware that vinyl wrapping on a whole car probably wont last more than a couple of years before it starts to fail in certain parts & you may have to re do it.
Old 23-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
distortion

I have done literally hundreds of wraps, and I can tell you that preparation is key. Ensure your car is as clean as possible, DO NOT WAX your car, ensure it is as dry as possible, in every crevice. Also, take off anything from the exterior of the car that you can. Any door trims that are removable etc.

Also, working in a sealed dust free room is good too, but if you're just doing it at home, make sure its not a windy day, and if you want to be pedantic, spray the room in a light mist of water to hold down any dust on the ground.

Buying vinyls is one thing that brand rules in. I only work with 3M (their controltac vinyl comes in pretty much any colour and finish, including matte) Hexis (bit more expensive but I feel it's worth every cent), Avery's paint replacement range is pretty impressive also. The industry standard and benchmark is 3M.

You can also get sticks of a vinyl sealant from 3M that help to lock down the edges of the vinyl (this is the main area of weakness of car wraps).

Ensure where possible, to wrap the returns of the panels (the backs) at least 10mm to stop any possible paint colour showing in the gaps. It will also help to stop lifting at the edges.

I've done a more extensive write up on this site (i'm pretty sure it's still here somewhere, if not, try fordxr6turbo forums, same username)
Old 23-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
distortion

Oh and Conect enterprises sells all the vinyls you'll ever need, but you'll need to do a search for who sells hexis locally
Old 23-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I aslo work with vinyl, the new car wrap products almost wrap themselves lol.

the have small airholes and dont fold ect(good for noobs).

If your good with a heat gun many things can be done.

I usually prepsol the panel to get rid of any wax and prefer putting it on wet(with water).

yeah 3m ftw.
Old 23-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone, got heaps out of this thread. If I need any Vinyl I will give you guys a PM.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
I aslo work with vinyl, the new car wrap products almost wrap themselves lol.

the have small airholes and dont fold ect(good for noobs).

If your good with a heat gun many things can be done.

I usually prepsol the panel to get rid of any wax and prefer putting it on wet(with water).

yeah 3m ftw.

good advice, but alot of new vinyls that are made for vehicle wraps you dont use water on or you could spend hours playing with it trying to get it to stick. Thye usually have an adhesive that doesnt have a high tack until you apply it with the squegee.

Like most people have said vinyl is like paint preparation is the key.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another question, I am thinking about trying the wrap on some rims. Start on something small then work my way to a large project. Could you use the same vinyl on rims?
Old 23-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Falcman0o7
Banned

Vinyl is going to be the new craze with young commodore drivers soon.
95% will be backyard jobs, ripped, full of bubbles and peeling off! I can see it now!
LOL!
Old 23-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
chenksy
Banned

We can supply all Hexis, Avery and 3M vinyls currently available
Most of the good stuff has pressure activated adhesive, will just tack untill you squeegie over it
Yes the vinyl will stick to your wheels but as previously stated the surface has to be immaculate clean and brake dust is a poofter so give them a super clean first
Old 24-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
distortion

nice work - didn't want to do the roof?
Old 24-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
chenksy
Banned

cheers....roof and bonnet are wrapped in 3m carbon fibre
Old 24-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

http://wrapmyride.net.au/
Old 24-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
chenksy
Banned

"This message has been deleted by Professor Farnsworth. Reason: if you want to advertise, become a forum sponsor"

posting a picture of my vinyl wrap is far from advertising buddy....
Old 24-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenksy
"This message has been deleted by Professor Farnsworth. Reason: if you want to advertise, become a forum sponsor"

posting a picture of my vinyl wrap is far from advertising buddy....
the image of your wrap, showing your work, and also containing your business website address? i believe it is my friend. If you have an issue please take it to PM.

Contacting russellw regarding a possible sponsor spot might be an idea.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 24-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 24-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
distortion

From memory all I asked for was the name of the company he worked for? Are we not allowed to mention company names other than sponsors now?
Old 24-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
chenksy
Banned

"whats your company name?"
"sorry cant tell you....i'm not a site sponsor" hahahaha BS
Old 24-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
chenksy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
Didn't see this one in the site sponsors list either...
Old 24-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
chenksy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
the image of your wrap, showing your work, and also containing your business website address? i believe it is my friend. If you have an issue please take it to PM.

Contacting russellw regarding a possible sponsor spot might be an idea.
Considering that the thread was started by a member inquiring about wrapping his car himself, and that I wrapped my car myself, I see that my posts where 100% relevant to the topic and in no way did I post a direct link advertising my business. If my car happens to have stickers on it of my website is irrelevant as I did not mention the website in the posts. As for mentioning my business name after being asked the question "whats my company called?"...thats a laugh...

I have sent a PM to the moderator in question but would also like to post the above for public clarification
Old 24-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
distortion

I agree with Chensky - even if his business name is mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue as none of the sponsors (the ones I have seen anyway) do anything with vinyl? It's not competing with an existing sponsor!
Old 24-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenksy
"whats your company name?"
"sorry cant tell you....i'm not a site sponsor" hahahaha BS
Few different issues going on here, along with some attitudes coming across as B/S.
Have an issue contact admin.

CLOSED

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
This user likes this post:
Closed Thread