Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Natalie Lucas, 45, cops speeding fine on way to hospital to see dying mother

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...nglinksNatalie Lucas, 45, cops speeding fine on way to hospital to see dying mother

by: Thomas Chamberlin
September 23, 2012 12:00AM

A TOWNSVILLE woman slapped with a speeding fine on the way to be with her dying mum has taken on the Queensland Police - and won.

Townsville cleaner Natalie Lucas, 45, told The Sunday Mail she would rather spend a week behind bars than pay a $133 speeding ticket for travelling 91km/h in an 80km/h zone.

She received the ticket when a mobile speed camera snapped her car on University Rd on July 26 as her partner Gary Ottaviano rushed her to Townsville Hospital about 1.30pm, minutes after she was told her mother Valerie, 73, may have suffered a heart attack.

It was later found to be a stroke and her mother died the next day.

"It wasn't like we were speeding for the hell of it," Ms Lucas told The Sunday Mail.

"I was hysterical, I can't remember that day, my partner was driving and he lost his mother three months beforehand and so he knew what I was going through."

Ms Lucas said she called the 1300 number on the ticket and was told she was "going through enough at the moment" and police would "look after it" if she sent proof including a death certificate.

She explained she was not driving.

She was told in "exceptional circumstances" police could waive the ticket but was upset when she received a letter this month expressing "condolences" for her mother's death but an order to pay the fine or face further "enforcement action".

"Firstly, may I express condolences for the loss of your mother," the letter from police read.

"Consideration has been given to the circumstances which existed at the time of the alleged offence and it has been determined that prosecution action is warranted."

Ms Lucas said she had received speeding fines in the past and estimated she had received about 10 fines in her life, while her partner had also received tickets.

After her mother's death she raised $1000 for the hospital, which she donated this week.

Potts Lawyers director Cameron Browne said police had discretion on whether or not they instituted proceedings in court after background matters had been brought to their attention.

"If a person is raising background issues on a traffic ticket, it is traditionally considered by a senior police officer rather than the individual officer who issued the ticket," he said.

"It appears discretion has not been exercised in her favour."

Police yesterday dropped the fine after questions from The Sunday Mail.

"As a result of The Sunday Mail bringing the matter to our attention, a senior officer has personally looked into the circumstances and has waived the infringement notice, and Ms Lucas will be advised of that decision in due course," State Traffic Support Branch acting Superintendent Ray Rohweder said.

My comment on this article...
Good to see commonsense prevail..but it shouldn't have taken the Sunday Mail to get it...

Old 23-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default Re: Natalie Lucas, 45, cops speeding fine on way to hospital to see dying mother

She's received 10 speeding fines in the past? Geez.

Sorry but the last thing I would be thinking of if my mother died was getting out of a $133 speeding fine. Decision was only overturned due to the need for being politically correct in today's society.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 23-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Natalie Lucas, 45, cops speeding fine on way to hospital to see dying mother

Common sense prevails for once . Back in 2001 when my then 1 year old son picked up a redback and ate it I made it from Lidcombe to Penrith in a tad over 20 minutes . But Harold Scrubbies dicsiples were out in force that day as 2 people doing less than 100 KPH actually pulled into the fast lane and brake tested me with a closing speed of well over 150 kPH . I had high beams on and hazard warning lights , for all they knew I could have been a doctor responding to an emergency . Didn't really give a rats if a copper caught me either , I would have said just get me to the hospital then do whatever you want to me .
Old 23-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**** me. Stories like this make you lose a little bit of faith in humanity. The woman's mother died for gods sake. Just squash the ticket. Geez that's terrible. Really.
Old 23-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

LEMMY said it best.. you win some you lose some. its all the same to me.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very sad. However to me if she was speeding then she was speeding. Her mum was already in the hospital and her speeding does nothing to change that. The post about swallowing the spider..,.. Completely different and justified.
Let the flaming begin.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder if the first review failed because the woman's partner was driving, not her...
Still, a senior officer could have quickly reviewed what happened, call the lady and discuss the matter further...
Old 23-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Very sad. However to me if she was speeding then she was speeding. Her mum was already in the hospital and her speeding does nothing to change that. The post about swallowing the spider..,.. Completely different and justified.
Let the flaming begin.
Agree totally.

Maybe if she had a clean driving record, and she ONLY sped because her mother was dying, then yeah cut some slack. But 10 prior speeding tickets!

With the swallowed spider, I'd do the same if I felt I could reach the hospital before an ambulance could reach me.
Old 23-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87
Let the flaming begin.
It's easy to sit back and judge isn't it?

Couple years ago my great Auntie fell over in her house and hit her head. She was rushed to hospital in Brisbane. We were notified and got there from the Sunshine Coast as quick as we could and managed to say a last few words before she passed away. Maybe if we didn't speed to get there we would never have been able to say goodbye.

I've had 10 speeding tickets in my past, but none since 2007, what does that mean? I'm a hoon who should never be trusted with a car again? Or perhaps I was stupid when I was younger, but grew up and learnt a valuable lesson? It's easy to sit back and be judgmental.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey so speeding in a distressed frame of mind is OK WTF

What a croc of crap

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 23-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Pack of brainwashed numpties! I even sped to hospital when my wife was in labor. Sue me, I took my chances. If anyone pretends to not condone speeding is a liar as every driver has done it before and most probably will again. And for the record if another family member of mine was dying in hospital I would do the same no qualms about it. But on the other hand I would cop the fine on chin.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Pack of brainwashed numpties! I even sped to hospital when my wife was in labor. Sue me, I took my chances. If anyone pretends to not condone speeding is a liar as every driver has done it before and most probably will again. And for the record if another family member of mine was dying in hospital I would do the same no qualms about it. But on the other hand I would cop the fine on chin.

I dont think people are having a go at her for speeding because her mum was in hospital.....

It was a speed camera which caught her, so no officer pulled her over to speak to her. Police are allowed to use descretionary powers to quash tickets etc.
The speeding was "low"(11kmh over) and not like they were doin 20Kmh over the limit. University drive is a 4 lane road and forms partof the Bruce Highway.

Strangely enough her partners name is very familiar.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 23-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am

Why risk more family members in there?

What was the hurry she died the next day, and I'll wager the baby of the above poster wasn't born enroute or in the hospital foyer

So aside from risk what was gained?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 23-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Hey so speeding in a distressed frame of mind is OK WTF

What a croc of crap
agree - in a distressed state of mind, the driver is not concentrating on their job and may take out innocent people, but that seems to be alright . . . . to the distressed driver, not the innocent one anyway

of course having not been there, i cannot know the exact situation on the road etc., but within reason, i can accept speeding in times like this. i guess, am just suggested that being in distress isn't an open invitation to speed

i see both sides - it was a horrible situation for her, but i do agree with eb2monty, in that the fine should have been the least of her worries. it seems even in a devastation she just wanted to stick it to the man, simply because she could
Old 23-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think that there is an excuse for speeding. What if the driver had an accident because of it & hit you. Would you let it slide & say fair enough.

In all fairness though in this situation, 11kph is bugger all over so I can understand the police giving her a break on it, considering the reason.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I am

Why risk more family members in there?

What was the hurry she died the next day, and I'll wager the baby of the above poster wasn't born enroute or in the hospital foyer

So aside from risk what was gained?
I will admit nothing much was gained, as my daughter was born in the hospital, and i will agree that speeding in a distressed state is wrong. My point really is that - do the crime do the time. I was prepared to take responsibility for my actions, and so should of the driver of that vehicle.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you actually read it, she was pinged by a speed camera. Not like a cop stopped and handed her a fine. Its been overturned anyway, so I dont see how this can even make news.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, call me a brain washed numpties … but I disagree.

A little bit of emergency maths indicates that travelling at 91 kph instead of 80 kph saves that driver 54 seconds of time per 10 kilometres travelled. At the end of the day this is not a lot of time saved. Even if one is rushing to the bedside to hear someone dying words or rushing a pregnant wife to hospital; one needs to keep some perspective and play the percentages. As one’s speed increases, so too does braking distances (about 20 metres from 80 to 90 kph) and the chances one will have an accident. And very few people are able to fully concentrate on driving while emotionally upset. How would it look in the legal courts (and the court of public opinion) if this driver killed or injured an innocent bystander?

And why go to the media about all of this (and let yourself be photographed with the number plate of the vehicle) if you have won an appeal???? From a psychological perspective, all of this screams of “look at me, I am important”.

My advice is that if one finds oneself in similar circumstances is to take a deep breath and not overreact. Keep a presence of mind and work through the problem in a calm and rational manner. In 99.999% of emergency circumstances, that means not speeding.

It would be interesting to hear from the ambos and police who lurk here as to what their views are …
Old 23-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I can understand why she was speeding.....She needed to provide proof her reason for speeding and being in a court, if you provide false documentation, the speeding fine would have been the least of her problems, hence why the coppers probably let it go to court.

I can't understand why it made it to the papers....Slow news day?????She wanted to make a name for herself????Who knows.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 23-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If it was in Victoria she would have been snapped 15 times along the highway doing 3km/h over the limit and had to pay all of them.
Old 23-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

People are accusing her of DRIVING

it was her PARTNER that was driving the womens car & her to the HOSPITAL to see her dying mother hurrr durrr

any, 10 over is really nothing

next...
Old 23-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
OK, call me a brain washed numpties … but I disagree.

A little bit of emergency maths indicates that travelling at 91 kph instead of 80 kph saves that driver 54 seconds of time per 10 kilometres travelled. At the end of the day this is not a lot of time saved. Even if one is rushing to the bedside to hear someone dying words or rushing a pregnant wife to hospital; one needs to keep some perspective and play the percentages. As one’s speed increases, so too does braking distances (about 20 metres from 80 to 90 kph) and the chances one will have an accident. And very few people are able to fully concentrate on driving while emotionally upset. How would it look in the legal courts (and the court of public opinion) if this driver killed or injured an innocent bystander?

And why go to the media about all of this (and let yourself be photographed with the number plate of the vehicle) if you have won an appeal???? From a psychological perspective, all of this screams of “look at me, I am important”.

My advice is that if one finds oneself in similar circumstances is to take a deep breath and not overreact. Keep a presence of mind and work through the problem in a calm and rational manner. In 99.999% of emergency circumstances, that means not speeding.

It would be interesting to hear from the ambos and police who lurk here as to what their views are …
My wife died on 29th August 2003. I was woken by the phone at 6am in my hotel room in Melbourne by the doctor in Hervey Bay (QLD) hospital telling me that she had a bad turn and would probably not last the day.

I jumped on the first plane I could and landed in Brisbane ran to my GT-P which was in the car park and drove the 300km to the hospital. I do not remember much of the trip but I got there in just over 2 hours and my wife died in my arms about 15 minutes after I arrived.

No I was not thinking clearly. Yes I was in shock. But if I was a brainwashed numpty like you I would not have been there to say goodbye.

The world is not black and white and if the saving of 5 minutes is not important in some cases then WHY CAN AMBULANCES EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT?
Old 23-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like I said, it's easy to sit back and judge isn't it. Until it actually happens to you.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

Hence why have exculpations of law in certain circumstances.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Sometimes I feel ashamed to even log onto this place to come in here and read how people can so easily criticize other's on something so meaningfull and heart wrenching, if only those that feel the need to criticize would find themselves in other's shoes one day, then they might actually have a long hard look at themselves.

But then again they would be the 1'st ones on here complaining about their heartwrenching delima and how harsh they have been done by!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
anolade
trigger happy

law is the law no reason or excuse should be usable to get out of a fine
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
Old 23-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #27
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolade
So a man with a knife attempts to stab you, you shouldnt be allowed to fight back? Just run, and if he's a faster runner, let him stab you?
Ok, you go for that option, Ill go for an option that is defendable by law.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolade
Assume you are trolling.

I was in a situation a few years ago where a guy flew past me dangerously on a stretch of road, so I (foolishly I now realise) flashed my high beams at him as he went past. He then slammed his brakes on and blocked both lanes of traffic in his little ******* Excel. I tried to get past him but he blocked my path and tried to smash into my car. I managed to goose him and get past, then just went for it to escape the maniac. I sped through an intersection (it was late at night and I was coming home from work, and I had my missus in the car) and went up a couple back roads that I knew and got away. Went to the Police station and reported it etc.

By your reckoning I should have just let him crash into me, then possibly shoot me or god knows what else. Good call.
Old 23-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

No I was not thinking clearly. Yes I was in shock. But if I was a brainwashed numpty like you I would not have been there to say goodbye.

The world is not black and white and if the saving of 5 minutes is not important in some cases then WHY CAN AMBULANCES EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT?
I am sorry to hear of your loss. But, some food for thought.

Ask any doctor or nurse, often a person who is terminally ill will often hold on until their loved ones arrive before passing away. Even if they are completely unconscious. This leads people to jump to the next conclusion that if they had been “just five minutes later”, they would not been able to say goodbye.

Travelling 300km in two hours implies an average speed of over 150 kph. Knowing the road and the traffic, it also implies top speeds in excess of over 200 kph. Ambulance drives and police drives doing such speeds (once case I can recall had a speed of 185 kph) – under lights and sirens – have been fined and, in one case, dismissed in Queensland.

I agree this is a highly charged and emotive topic. The bit I don’t get is … why plaster yourself over the front page of the Courier Mail?
Old 23-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh man, give it a rest. You're completely dismissing someone's personal loss of a loved one on the basis that you think a dying person will hang on till their parter/brother/mother gets there to see them? You're not an afterlife expert, nor are you an expert on vehicle speeds and safety.

You are showing true ignorance.
Closed Thread