Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
stevz
Banned

Default High safety ratings for small cars mean little in real world accidents.

http://www.news.com.au/national/ligh...-1226446197372

Quote:

Light city cars' high ANCAP ratings do not protect in real world crashes
August 09, 2012

LIGHT city cars with high official safety ratings are under-achievers in real-world crashes, according to the latest survey.

While most new light cars score four or a maximum five stars in the Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP), they are disadvantaged by their weight when crashing into bigger and heavier vehicles, RACQ safety spokesman Steve Spalding said yesterday.

He was commenting on the 20th annual Used Car Safety Ratings of 313 cars in 5.8 million crashes in Australia and New Zealand. It is compiled by Monash University's Accident Research Centre with support from state auto clubs and transport departments.

"Drivers can be about 10 times more likely to die or be seriously injured in a crash driving a used car with a poor safety record compared with a top performer,'' Mr Spalding said.

The survey found the safest vehicle for occupants and other road users was the BMW X5 SUV (2001-2008), while the most dangerous was the early 1980s Daihatsu HiJet which was 11.5 times worse than the X5.

NRMA vehicle safety expert Jack Haley said 29 vehicles scored their Safe Pick rating of which 19 were small, medium or large cars, most manufactured since 2001, demonstrating the advances in affordable safe vehicles. There were only 19 safe picks last year and none in the first survey.

However, Mr Spalding pointed out that light cars were the worst performers in the survey, despite many having good ANCAP scores.

"Often light cars' scores don't correlate with how they perform in ANCAP,'' he said.

"The Hyundai Getz is a good example. It's a four-star ANCAP performer, but gets one star in the real world. Also, the Yaris gets five stars, but we only give it three.

"The problem is the ANCAP crash test doesn't take into account weight. The heavier car will always come off better in a crash.

"In the real world, crashes happen at different angles with different circumstances. ANCAP only does offset front and side impact tests.''

The research rated cars not only on the protection they provide the driver but also the level of risk they present to other road users in a collision. Those that scored highly on both counts were labelled Safe Picks.

Mr Spalding suggested buyers should not just look at ANCAP, but also the Used Car Safety Ratings.

"While the top Safe Pick is a prestige vehicle, motorists can be assured there are Safe Picks in almost every class of vehicle covering a broad price range,'' he said.

"Alarmingly, the research shows that while novice drivers have the highest crash risk they often drive the least safe vehicles.

"By choosing safer vehicles, novice drivers could reduce their road trauma statistics by 60 to 80 per cent.''

NSW Centre for Road Safety general manager Margaret Prendergast said newer models provide drivers with better protection from injury in a crash than older ones.

"Motorists will see from the list that some of the most affordable used cars are the safest,'' she said.

Mercedes-Benz and Volvo barely rated in the top choices, despite being acknowledged as global vehicle safety leaders.

The spokesmen for the companies attribute that to the fact the active and passive safety systems in these vehicles means they don't crash as often.

Even BMW, whose 2001-08 X5 large SUV earned a mention as the safest vehicle overall, is bemused by the fact the newer - and safer - model introduced in 2009 didn't earn a mention.

BMW spokesman Piers Scott said the result vindicated BMW's safety-led research and development but questioned the applicability of the MUARC findings in terms of determining the best car to buy based on safety.

"The absence from the list of the newer model X5, which by all accounts is considerably safer, raises questions over how crash-worthiness has been assessed in this study".

Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce executive director David Purchase also noted the report didn't take into account the roadworthiness of the vehicles involved in the crashes.

"Even modern vehicles with five-star (ANCAP) safety ratings, including ABS and ESC, need ongoing maintenance and regular servicing to operate at their best," he said.

"Something as simple as a worn tyre makes a vehicle unsafe whatever its age."
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: High safety ratings for small cars mean little in real world accidents.

From the same survey...

Quote:
SAFE PICKS

Small cars

Honda Civic 2006-10

Peugeot 307. 2001-09

Volkswagen Golf/Bora 1999-2004

Volkswagen Golf/Jetta 2004-10

Volvo S40/V40 1997-2004

Medium cars

Audi A4 2001-08

BMW 3 series E90/E91/E92/E93 2005-10

BMW 5 series E39 1996-2003

Honda Accord 2003-07

Mazda 6 2002-07

Mercedes Benz C-Class W203 2000-07

Saab 9000 1986-97
Saab 900/9-3 1994-2002

Subaru Liberty/Legacy/Outback 2003-09

Volkswagen Passat 1998-2006

Large cars

Ford Falcon FG 2008-10

Mercedes Benz E-Class W210 1996-2002

Mitsubishi 380. 2005-08

Toyota Aurion 2006-10

Light cars

Mazda 2 2007-10

Commercial vehicles (utes)

Mitsubishi Triton ML/MN 2006-10

Commercial vehicles (vans)

Ford Transit 2001-07

Compact four-wheel-drives Honda CR-V 2002-06

Subaru Forester 2002-08

Medium four-wheel-drives

Ford Territory SX/SY 2004-10

Holden Captiva CG 2006-10

Mitsubishi Pajero NM/NP/NS 2000-06

Large four-wheel-drives

BMW X5 2001-08

Ford Explorer 2001-05
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: High safety ratings for small cars mean little in real world accidents.

Seemed to work pretty good for me:

Doesn't matter how big your car is or how many stars she gets on the ol' safety rating when you hit an immovable object like a tree, you're going to come off second best.

I reckon thats why me and the other guy come out of this alright, even if our cars where completely rooted, the way I hit him his car just got pushed out of the way, wasn't much resistance there.

On a completely different point, why is the passenger airbag so big?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the passenger air bag has to travel further.
i would always rather a big car than small car, don`t care how many stars a small car has !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The volumetric area the passenger airbag has to occupy is much greater because the passenger doesnt have a steering wheel or dashboard in front of them. Consequently, the passenger airbag has to be that size to prevent the passenger's head contacting the crash pad in a frontal collision.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I raised this very issue about 3-4 wks ago when I visited the ANCAP website. One of their tests includes the simulated crash of the vehicle into one of a similar size/weight. What a joke!

With the huge increase in SUVs and pickups on our roads the Corolla and Focus cant claim a 5star rating just like a Falcon.

AND a Falcon is far less likely to roll than a Kluger!

Falcons, Aurions are safest one would think.

AND a little Smart car or Yaris can be flung into other lanes of traffic, or off bridges/down embankments.

Last edited by turbodewd; 09-08-2012 at 01:48 PM.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
zilo
BANNED

The longer the bonnet the safer the car.

You can decellerate in 1 metre or half a metre.

Forces on the body crudely double if you stop in half the time.

Real world example...

At 60km/h into a brick wall a Yaris=17g's (1 metre bonnet length)
At 60km/h into a brick wall a Falcon=10g's (1.5 metre bonnet length)

Roughly speaking of course.....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Werd.
nou

I can't even find crash ratings for my DD.
but I can say the AU falcon was very smooth when I crashed it, hardly felt a thing even though the noise drew a crowd.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darwinism at its best, as someone who does many highway kays on bike, truck and car I can't really recall the last econo car I've seen driven with an ounce of common sense. This obviously filters through to their car purchase decision, especially when kids are involved. But if it gives people the warm and fuzzies driving a 5 star car then good on them, I'd take an old $5000 E38 7 series or W140 S Class everytime.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Benny D

this is why i cringe every time i see one of them smart "fortwo" cars.. theres no crumble zone...
Benny D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy crap...that photo in the article! The Falcon looks like a "open the door, get out and walk away" proposition, but the little driving school car looks like a "have the door cut off, and get carried away (quickly) on a stretcher" accident...

Airbags, crumple zones, seat belt pretensioners..none of it means squat when the little equation of "difference in size and mass" comes into play...the big car will always beat the smaller one in just about any accident...

There was a study some years back that said a solid impact with a "solid immoveable object" (bridge pilon, big tree, etc) at 80kph or greater was "basically unsurviveable". Oh sure...sometimes you get the odd case of some miraculous escape from a 100kph crash into trees or a truck...but air bags or not, the human body wasn't made to take such a sudden decelleration and high G load in such a crash.
Nearly always you'll end up nicely brown bread.
There's also the study into, of all things, pushbike helmets that had some interesting results. It seemed to show that people in general, but young people and kids in particular, seemed to be taking more risks in traffic since helmet laws came in. It was a psychological thing that people thought they were now "completely safe" because they were wearing a few ounces of foam on their head...all the adverts told them so. There was even one place overseas (can't recall the country) that repealed helmet laws and the rate of bicycle accidents actually went down.

If you read the comments by people who are actively for manditory wearing of pushbike helmets, they always, always only talk about "head injuries"...if I am toddling along on my pushbike and get hit by a car, I think head injuries will be the least of my worries, or at least just one of the myriad injuries I would end up with.
Same in cars...people assume airbags and a 5 star rating make a car "automatically 100% safe". Sure they do...

Same with cars I would suspect...how often have you seen someone carving up traffic in some tinny little ecomobile like they were a semi trailer, thinking they were invincible because it's got 5 stars, and just look at all the airbags I have!
In their mind, it takes all the responsibility off them...if they have a crash, they simply [i]have[/i[ to come out OK....don't they...?

Last edited by 2011G6E; 09-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
stang65
FPRJET

i found the article and have posted the link in the other thread.
i will post it here as well as it seems to be more viewed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226446110866

Aussie cars score well in safety ratings

August 08, 2012 4:32PM

FOUR Australian-built cars have been listed as safe picks in the latest used-car safety ratings released by the nation's motoring clubs.
Herald Sun Digital Pass

The local cars getting the top gong are the Ford Territory, the FG Falcon, the Toyota Aurion and the Mitsubishi 380.

The ratings indicate how well each vehicle protects drivers from death or serious injury in a crash, with five stars awarded for the best performers.

Five-star vehicles are also named as safe picks if they cause less serious injury to other road users in an accident, including pedestrians and cyclists.

The ratings cover 197 vehicles from light cars to commercial vehicles manufactured between 1996 and 2011.

Royal Automobile Association (RAA) spokesman Mark Borlace said the ratings were helpful for motorists looking to buy a safe car, because the analysis was based on real crashes.

"The safe-pick rating identifies the best vehicles which not only protect the driver in crashes, but also minimise injury to other road users including pedestrians and cyclists," Mr Borlace said.

But while 90 cars were rated as excellent or good, 22 were considered poor and 48 very poor.

Among the worst in the family car category were the Hyundai Sonata built between 1989 and 1997 and the Mitsubishi Magna built from 1989 to 2003.

In the popular small-car category the safe picks included the Honda Civic, the Peugeot 307, the Volkswagen Golf and the Volvo S40.

Among the lowest rated small cars were the Daewoo Lanos, the Hyundai Accent, the Proton Wira and the Toyota Paseo.

The ratings were calculated by the Monash University Accident Research Centre which analysed the injury outcomes of more than 5.8 million vehicle crashes and 1.3 million injured road users between 1987 and 2010.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
stang65
FPRJET

I think we should be proud of our Falcon and Terry.
Very under rated cars.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
purnong

Here's a link to the actual data for real world crashes and how they compare to the ANCAP ratings
The actual vehicle ratings are towards the bottom of the document, A couple of things I picked was that the FG falcon was one of the safest cars on the road and the WB Statesman was amongst the worst as was the Ford Bronco

http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/resear...s/muarc313.pdf
purnong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see only 1 Holden v 4 Fords but in this weeks Drivel, Carsguide or Smithys **** column the heading will be Holden Captiva scores as one of the safest used cars around.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Holy crap...that photo in the article! The Falcon looks like a "open the door, get out and walk away" proposition, but the little driving school car looks like a "have the door cut off, and get carried away (quickly) on a stretcher" accident...
Pic proves nothing...

One car T-boned another...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

ancap ratings are only to be compared against cars of similar mass and similar category. it says so somewhere on their own website. i know i've read it there before. this has always been the case.

the confusion comes from the manufacturers, with all of them claiming '5 star safety' without telling the full story.

it would be almost impossible for ancap to test in any other way. it would require testing that was extremely extensive and would take forever to cover all variables. the way they do it now, all cars are tested the same and the ratings are comparable across each segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny D
this is why i cringe every time i see one of them smart "fortwo" cars.. theres no crumble zone...
some viewing pleasure for you. they perform much better than you'd think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCecd...eature=related

Small recent car vs old big car
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Holy crap...that photo in the article! The Falcon looks like a "open the door, get out and walk away" proposition
This is what sold me on owning a falcon. We had an AUII cab crashed pretty much just like the picture, same scenario (other driver ran a red light) and it literally was a walk-away proposition for the driver and his passengers. I couldn't believe that it would bend the k-frame/crossmember, move the wheels in their arches and just generally munt everything forward of the firewall - but - you could open the doors and walk away. No movement of the dash or anything inside!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Now they should do that test again with a 5 star small car vs a 5 star large car
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
There is only 300kg between those cars. Obviously the advances in safety have overcome that weight difference. I wonder what would happen between a large and small car from the same era. I don't think it would be the same result.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Grain of salt. I feel quite safe in my XR5.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Grain of salt. I feel quite safe in my XR5.
Comes back to the old saying of how much wood you have around you.....

Id rather have a truck run up my **** in the Falcon then a Focus Hatch or Fiesta Hatch... More room for impact.... The closer the impact is to you, the less chance you have. I have friends running around in new small hatches with babies in the back and i just scratch my head.... Someone runs up their **** the baby is going to have no chance... They would have been better off buying a 3 year old FG Falcon if safety was their main concern, but since little cars have the same safety rating then its automatically okay to assume they are just as safe.

These crash ratings mean jack **** neways... a $11,000 Cherry could have a 5 star safety rating providing it had side and curtain airbags, abs, dsc and a seatbelt reminder..... Doesnt mean the car is going to fair better then a 1998 AU Falcon in a head on.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah some valid points there Brent. Guess having some distance between you and the impact is good for the mind, but i think putting a little faith in the technology in smaller cars is needed aswell.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah some valid points there Brent. Guess having some distance between you and the impact is good for the mind, but i think putting a little faith in the technology in smaller cars is needed aswell.
I guess the big thing is crash avoidance.... The better the technology and the newer the car the better chance of avoiding a crash.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

561317_297023757043608_49164418_n.jpgTake a look at what an AU did to this SS ute
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I've seen a 02' camry write-off a VY commmodore...Camry got repaired...and the this was in 05, back when the Vy was still fairly new.

That aside, there are greater factors that effect a car in a crash.

-Speed
-Road surface
-Car maintainance
-The nugget behind the wheel.
-Weather
-Impact angle etc...

ANCAP can only do so much, they provide a standerdised rating to compare cars and give buyers a guide on whats better for safety. They can't test every plausable situation.

And anyone who thinks that the "length of the bonnet" or space around the car is an idicator of saftey, that is mis-informed...the overall design plays are far greater part...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

yeah...Front wheel drive car versus rear wheel drive car and a very selective offset collision to pass by the side of the volvo engine.

Also that video is known to be a lie, that model Volvo is a 740 with 940 badges, a fake.

(940 had airbags and Side impact protection system and was significantly safer than a 740.)

We bought one for our 18 year old and it has already saved injury.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Now they should do that test again with a 5 star small car vs a 5 star large car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pVF1Wr7GLQ

Looks like most of us have already forgotten this test. The little Fiat 500 has a 5-star rating, but look how well it holds up against an Audi SUV.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
yeah...Front wheel drive car versus rear wheel drive car and a very selective offset collision to pass by the side of the volvo engine.

Also that video is known to be a lie, that model Volvo is a 740 with 940 badges, a fake.

(940 had airbags and Side impact protection system and was significantly safer than a 740.)

We bought one for our 18 year old and it has already saved injury.

And the badges effect safety now?

The video clearly shows that the smaller car is just as safe (if not safer) then the larger car. Obviously, its not a video comparing airbags, but the damaged sustained on impact.

And quite frankly, the way the dash and steering wheel gets propelled gets rocketed into the Volvo drivers face is alarming, Airbag or no airbag, he would be quite sore.....

\≡≡T≡≡/