Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Life for a Life ?

http://www.news.com.au/national/guil...-1226374757223
I agree. I think if you take a life and it is proven, you should be given a life sentence with no parole. You need something to deter people from doing these crimes........

Old 30-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Life for a Life ?

I don't believe in the death penalty but locking them up forever is probably a good option.

It's not a deterrent, people that do that sort of thing don't think about consequences anyway.
Old 30-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to see a referendum on capital punishment.
80%+ for IMO
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I don't believe in the death penalty but locking them up forever is probably a good option.

It's not a deterrent, people that do that sort of thing don't think about consequences anyway.
You do realise how much it costs to lock up someone for over 25yrs? The death penility would be a far greater solution than life. Saves the taxpayer and rids the world of some of the scum of the earth!

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah but the death penalty is not enough punishment for taking anothers life imo so lock em up for life.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

look i think there would be many variables . you cant just say , yeh or neh .

i belive in the worst cases though , take their danger away from them , evil rapist loses genitals. murderur 1st degree , both hands and maybe legs . then let them live in society without benifits selling pens and crying to people to forgive them . only in worst cases i believe this . some people wont have remorse in jail or anywhere else , but not being able to wipe your backside or cook a meal or earn money would force them to face what they did to another life and thier own , every single day .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But then there has been cases of those convicted and given the death penalty, only to find out years later that they were innocent. Does that mean the persons who convicted them should get the death penalty??? As in a life for a life???
Old 30-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
But then there has been cases of those convicted and given the death penalty, only to find out years later that they were innocent. Does that mean the persons who convicted them should get the death penalty??? As in a life for a life???
YES .
Old 30-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am of the thinking...An eye for an Eye...leaves the whole world blind.

I am Interested to read everyone's thoughts on this, so please...everyone, let's keep it civil so it doesn't get locked by a mod

Cheers
Col
Old 30-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For heinous (spelling?) crimes the mfr's would become instant organ donours if I had my way. What evers left mince up for fertilizer. No headstone either.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I agree with death penalty in cases where the killer(s) admit straight up that it was them, even gloated and showed off that it was their doing.

Jail costs a fortune, and many get out well before their time to go back to an almost normal life...

I think it will be a deterrant as well. I'm more interested in saving money and not allowing these people to possibly breed down the track.

Wonder what the motive was behind the attack?? Falling out with the older sister? What scum....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think it will be a deterrant as well.
Seems to work well as a deterrent in the USA.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I agree with death penalty in cases where the killer(s) admit straight up that it was them, even gloated and showed off that it was their doing.

Jail costs a fortune, and many get out well before their time to go back to an almost normal life...

I think it will be a deterrant as well. I'm more interested in saving money and not allowing these people to possibly breed down the track.

Wonder what the motive was behind the attack?? Falling out with the older sister? What scum....

ok so someone driven insane by a horribel circumstance that triggers a revenge attack , then goes and turns themselves in confessing they killed somebody , gets the death penalty , while a psycopathic murderer who doesnt confess ?
Old 30-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I am of the thinking...An eye for an Eye...leaves the whole world blind.

I am Interested to read everyone's thoughts on this, so please...everyone, let's keep it civil so it doesn't get locked by a mod

Cheers
Col
I would agree - each case needs to be treated individually.
Does anyone remember the news story a few months ago about a guy in Yagoona, Sydney who stabbed one of two robbers breaking into his house? He offered assistance, but the robbers took off, but the one with the injury died a short while later.
Where would this law leave him?
You also read alot of stories of some women in extremely abusive relationships who end up killing their partners in some pre-meditated attack. I don't think it is right but neither is taking another life.
Something does need to be changed though - too many loopholes in the legal system and it does not represent what us voters want from society.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
ok so someone driven insane by a horribel circumstance that triggers a revenge attack , then goes and turns themselves in confessing they killed somebody , gets the death penalty , while a psycopathic murderer who doesnt confess ?
Hey... NO system is fool proof.... there are always variables.

This tool killed a girl, cops knocked on his door the next day and just admited to it and took them to the body...

I don't care how you mince words... his actions, for whatever reason, ended the life of another....

Wonder how many people wanted the death penalty when a bunch of bearded men all took pride in planting bombs in public places in the name of whoever???

Remember those big smiles?? How proud they were?? You think they should have been paraded on the TV for years rubbing their raised fists into the faces of the families they destroyed forever????

If that was my daughter... I know what I would want to happen to the 'man'....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Hey... NO system is fool proof.... there are always variables.

This tool killed a girl, cops knocked on his door the next day and just admited to it and took them to the body...

I don't care how you mince words... his actions, for whatever reason, ended the life of another....

Wonder how many people wanted the death penalty when a bunch of bearded men all took pride in planting bombs in public places in the name of whoever???

Remember those big smiles?? How proud they were?? You think they should have been paraded on the TV for years rubbing their raised fists into the faces of the families they destroyed forever????

If that was my daughter... I know what I would want to happen to the 'man'....

i have not read the link or the story that this relates too . i'm just going off the thread topic mate , i dont want to read that story, if its all the same i hate that stuff . it saddens me , so i'm giving my opinion on the topic , not the news article .
Old 30-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

instead of protecting the kiddy fiddlers throw them in general population and let the law of the jungle sort them out...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Prison doesn't have to cost a fortune to keep someone in there for life. Bring back the days of the chain gang and make those parasites earn their keep and be miserable till they die of natural causes.
I too do not believe in the death sentence. Innocent people can be wrongly convicted. I do think things are way too soft at the moment too.
Old 31-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #19
BHDOGS
Banned

i am for capital punishment with abit of torture and beating before hand just to make sure they feel abit of pain however this would never happen so my second opinion is to make prison harder as above no tv no radio forced classes for whateva some skill dont go to class no food you choose not to eat you die ect. ect.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

I am all for capital punishment, but the legal system would need a complete makeover (kind of like that Queer Eye for a Straight Guy show, but for the legal system). Putting an innocent man in jail happens. Its terrible, but it happens. Imagine putting an innocent man to death. There's no going back.

Maybe if the death penalty was introduced for murder and other serious indictable offenses then maybe people would think twice.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I believe people can be rehabilitated.

A person might murder someone, but, if you then kill them, there is then no way of knowing if he can really change.

I'd rather see people change, then just people dieing.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
MarkAW

For all those who advocate some horrible end to the perpatraitor, ask yourself if you asking for revenge rather than justice. Now ask if you are entitled to any form this revenge, for that matter is anybody entitled to revenge? Every now and then we see people within the community who have the attitude of "whats done is done and can't be changed" and they are looked upon as virtual saints.

Justice is not about revenge, its about protecting society by imposing a penalty on those convicted which will convince them not to repeat their crimes. Yes it doesn't work in some cases but that the system we have. I also believe that there is a place for capital crimes which can be proven without doubt that releasing the convicted poses a risk to life within the community. But justice must be swift and final and get it right without possibility of error. There would be very few of these cases.

But what has been written in some of the above as an alternative is descent into barbarism or the "police" state where something as minor as a speeding ticket would result in jail time. That would be worse that what we have now.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not about revenge, it's not even about deterrent. It's about ridding society of low life scum bags that don't deserve to be on this planet. I am not talking about self defence murder or two blokes having a fight and one hits his head and dies. I am talking crimes against the defenceless, children the elderly etc. People that commit these heinous crimes should have their organs harvested (except the brain) and the rest I don't care. And as for a mental condition rendering someone not guilty..well don't get me started on that.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Seems to work well as a deterrent in the USA.
Not all states have the death penalty. Criminals know that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I know, that just irks me. Plead insanity and with an experienced defense team someone can actually avoid jail time and capital punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I believe people can be rehabilitated.

A person might murder someone, but, if you then kill them, there is then no way of knowing if he can really change.

I'd rather see people change, then just people dieing.
I'd like to believe that people can be rehabilitated and lead productive lives. But the reality is that there is an almost 40% recidivism rate and prison is a revolving door to some. That's 4 out of 10 offenders who do their time and get released who end up back in prison within 3 years. I know the numbers change depending on if it's a child molester, murderer or a drug offender.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
Hell Cat

In USA slot of states are actually starting to stop the death penalty & bringing in life sentences.

It actually cost MORE to put someone to death. 10+ years of court etc.
They're doing this to save money.

I will try to find the article.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
Hell Cat

*lots of states*
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I think its a hard one.

A life for a life, be that life imprisonment or capital punishment.

I recall a convesation I had with a person who used to be a court baliff.

He was telling me that once he had the opportunity to ask a judge in his chambers why it was that a crime like armed robbery would get a greater sentence than a murder or manslaughter.

The answer was in most cases murder/manslaghter is very rarely a planned thing. They may be what is a crime of passion. and the person may never have had a character of a killer before and would not likely do it again.

Where as on the other hand an Armed robber usually gets more and more brazen each time he/she does it, hence they need a bigger detternt.

And what about the druken teenager that gets into a fight and although may get in a fight with someone, accidentally kills them.

Thats why its a very hard to call make.

My two cents worth.
Old 31-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed. Beyond a reasonable doubt puts the burden on the prosecution.

And whether a murder is 1st degree, 2nd degree or 3rd, intent to kill has to be proven.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #29
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

The world is getting full, time to weed a few out I think.....

Those that have been proven beyond all doubt - see ya.
Those that haven't, start fixing the place.

Ed
Old 31-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree with the mother. Life (and that means jail until they die) for a life. Or death for life, but apparently that's not PC these days......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 31-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post