Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Default Nissan Maxima??

Not sure if this is the right place, but hoping I could get some serious answers.

A friend is selling a Nissan Maxima Touring 1999 for $2500, haven't checked it out yet but it looks clean, what is the value of a car like this, according to sale sites between $4000-$6000.

And if you were to buy one what would you likely pay, serious answer, not $150 because I don't like Maximas or something, the guy has given it two more days before he takes it to the car yard to get something like a $1000.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: Nissan Maxima??

For $2500 id serious consider it.
We had a 96 model (A32) and it was an awesome car.
Massively under rated, most people wouldnt even have a clue they exist or what they are like to drive.
Give it some serious thought - take it for a drive and assess it on its own merits.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had one for several years, and it was a great car. As others have said, a very underrated car in Australia. I used it as an every day driver, and as a Formula Ford tow car.

As a tow car in the rain, front wheel drive wasnt the best. Nonetheless, in four years from new, never had a problem. Well appointed, went well, very reliable, cheap to run, go for it.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll assume it is an A32 model. The facelift occured in 99.
Good motor vehicle for the money, one of the best V6's at the time, bit rough in the trim department over time. It all depends on what it needs for a roadworthy as with any car, and how high the mileage is. Wouldn't pay anymore for one.
If it is the later A33 update, i'd jump on it, dependent on condition. Possible bargain there
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Im not sure about the 99 model but I heard the more newer ones have a detuned 350Z donk.
They are a well equipped car though no doubt.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
For $2500 id serious consider it.
We had a 96 model (A32) and it was an awesome car.
Massively under rated, most people wouldnt even have a clue they exist or what they are like to drive.
Give it some serious thought - take it for a drive and assess it on its own merits.
Parents drove one up in the NT, wasn't too bad, a bit of a luxury car with a little bit of power in it.

But yeah must take a look at it, it's mainly for the girl for her to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
I had one for several years, and it was a great car. As others have said, a very underrated car in Australia. I used it as an every day driver, and as a Formula Ford tow car.

As a tow car in the rain, front wheel drive wasnt the best. Nonetheless, in four years from new, never had a problem. Well appointed, went well, very reliable, cheap to run, go for it.
Yeah Maxima's aren't all the popular, not sure why they were in the same league as quite a few cars, it was owned by an older lady around 50, so hopefully serviced often and well maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
I'll assume it is an A32 model. The facelift occured in 99.
Good motor vehicle for the money, one of the best V6's at the time, bit rough in the trim department over time. It all depends on what it needs for a roadworthy as with any car, and how high the mileage is. Wouldn't pay anymore for one.
If it is the later A33 update, i'd jump on it, dependent on condition. Possible bargain there
It had just run out of roadworthy, so it should be fine, I'll have to ask the guy about mileage.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst car I ever experienced was a Maxima company car I had for a little while in the 90s. Things were constantly breaking on it, window regulators, dash lights, heater core, central locking, trans couldn't or wouldn't go into drive and a ECU blew. It also handled like a boat and did nothing exceptionally well. Total waste of space in the market. Having said that I am very tough on my cars, I only get a decent run out of things like Landcruisers, Falcons and Commodores.

So moral of the story? I would consider one at 2.5 grand, but not much more than that.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Fair enough mate.

This car is for the missus, I'll still be driving the Falcon.

So using your experience, think the missus would give it a hard time to cause all these problems?

Just wondering, at $2500 it could be a decent buy, and puts her ahead of a little Barina or Corolla anything like that.