Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best Route Melb to Lake Eildon (Caravan)

Hi all to those that have driven from Melbourne to Lake Eildon. This Easter im taking the family and the caravan and was wondering what was the best route. Ive heard there is a nasty bit of the road on a particular route to avoid but not sure where it is even with google maps. Any help would be appreciated.

Joolz.

joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best Route Melb to Lake Eildon (Caravan)

The road you are referring to is the Maroondah Hwy, which is narrow with tight & windy curves from Healesville to Narbethong.

The alternative route would be to take the Melba Hwy through Yarra Glen & then via Yea, Alexandra & Thornton.
A much longer route but more driver friendly.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
The alternative route would be to take the Melba Hwy through Yarra Glen & then via Yea, Alexandra & Thornton.
A much longer route but more driver friendly.
Hey Pink thanks mate, i dont care if its longer aslong as its safer and less congested being Easter. Im actually off to Goughs Bay but on the lake. First time there with wife, daughter and 2 dogs. If anyone has any tourist suggestions feel free to pass them on.

Cheers,

Jules.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

If you are heading to Goughs Bay, you need to head through Mansfield. epending on where you are in Melbourne, up the Hume to Seymour and then taking the Goulburn Valley Hwy to Mansfield.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

It also depends on which side of Melbourne you are coming from.

I live in Eildon, my quickest way back from airport is straight up the Hume Hwy, right at Broadford, then through Strath Creek and onto Yea then Eildon. But with a caravan the best way would be up the Hume Hwy to Seymour, turn off at Seymour and head through to Yea then Eildon.

Although if you are going to the other side of the Lake then as others have mentioned, don't head to Eildon, and instead after Yea head to Mansfield then turn right towards Jamieson.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

As for tourist suggestions in the area, if you are on that side, I would say a lunch at the Kevington Pub is a must do out the back on the tables by the river.

The Mansfield Zoo between Mansfield and Jamieson is surprisingly good.

If you want a longer day trip then drive right through to Woods Point from Kevington, can be done in any car but better in a 4WD. This is a nice drive along dirt road that follows a couple of the rivers at different times that empty into the Lake.

A more serious but still hardly challenging 4WD trek is Big River Rd, turn on to it from Eildon-Jamieson Rd and it comes out the other side near the top of the Reefton Spur between Matlock and Marysville, for the second half of the trip from the end of Big River Rd, turn left towards Matlock then head back to the Lake via Woods Point, Gaffney's Creek, Kevington, Jamieson.

Last edited by mcnews; 02-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

The other option which hasn't been mentioned, is Whittlesea - Kinglake West -Yea and on.

It is the way we used to head up with trailers and it is not a problem. It's also the way I generally head up now.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post