Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Default Nissan GT-R Stigma/Attitude?

Hey guys, this isn't to start anything at all, more of a neutral discussion as to why people who are fan boys for GT-R's or actually own a stock GT-R are so arrogant about their car and line of cars, excluding those who are able to see both sides of an argument though.

I often go on youtube a lot, and enjoy watching car races and drags and such, and whenever there is a GT-R racing, there is always 10 upon 10's of GT-R fan boys, and I don't use that term as an insult I just see it fit, that either do one of two things, if the car wins it's "No car beats a GT-R" especially in a drag race this is said, but if the GT-R loses, all hell breaks lose, insults and excuses are thrown all over the place like a food fight, now I love the new GT-R R35... I think it's awesome, but I love most cars, and because of this I generally do a reasonable amount of research into them, and often when I put down valid statements, all these fans can do is throw their one sided opinions at me without being one of two things, knowledgeable about the opposing car to the GT-R, or many other cars for that fact, or without knowing about how the car got to that performance, and the differences in the cars as to why the GT-R won.

Take this one video on Youtube for example of a Bugatti vs'ing a GT-R, its not a drag race but rather a drag time, and the Bugatti end up winning it but because of reaction time the GT-R would have won if it was a drag race, I simply stated the obvious which was, the GT-R has no airbags, no aircon, one seat, no dash and is basically full racing spec and likely not street legal, but not one of them can actually see my point?

I mean I have had mates that are mechanics and own GT-R's and are able to understand the differences which is where I'm coming from with being knowledgeable about more then just the GT-R

Anyway that's my rant, I just can't understand how people can be so extremely one eyed and uneducated about other cars to the point they think they are able to place down good valid points.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nissan GT-R Stigma/Attitude?

Dude this happens everywhere, even on here.
People just get lost in a love affair with their favorite brand.
GT-R was king about 10 years ago, now its claim to fame is bang for your buck performance when you compare it to a 911.
Still an awesome beast and will tromp 99% of cars on the road.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Most "fanbois" are schoolboy keyboard warriors that have played too much Fast And Furious on Playstation and think that they are now Gods gift to all things automotive.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kiddy cars....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Most "fanbois" are schoolboy keyboard warriors that have played too much Fast And Furious on Playstati
Yeah does quite get me frustrated when I'm able to throw out multiple facts and they come up with what they've seen on top gear or else where =\

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Dude this happens everywhere, even on here.
People just get lost in a love affair with their favorite brand.
GT-R was king about 10 years ago, now its claim to fame is bang for your buck performance when you compare it to a 911.
Still an awesome beast and will tromp 99% of cars on the road.
Yeah, I give it that, it's great for it's price in a complete package, it's just annoys me that people really do get lost when they seem to be able to pull the same stuff over and over again and think that it's valid.

It's cool, but those who can't see eye to eye on other things aren't as cool.

Old 21-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

No different with any type of vehicle people are fans of.

Go to any auto fan forum/site and you see many people who cannot see anything beyond the make/model they support. Nothing wrong with that, just need to find sites that allow discussions on all types of different cars and their pro's and con's, or spread yourself across a number of forums with makes and models you’re interested in. Easy enough to sort through the extreme views and get a relatively real picture on any vehicle.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I have seen some GTR's do some impressive things. The RB26 has its flaws, namely oiling. But bang for your buck an R32 is an absolute weapon and for us aussies it has genuine racing heritage.

I always have repsect for GTR's and well the try modding a Porsche, its damn hard and expensive.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

What else can you buy for under $500K that can compete with a GTR that goes for $160K (M3 money). Porsche Turbo maybe, is there any Ferraris under half a million that can match the 0-100/quarter times? The Lexus LFA (for $750K!!) is marginally quicker around the 'Ring but slower in a straight line and costs $600K more! The R35 is arguably the greatest bang for buck car of all time. Of course this breeds contempt and resentment from die hard fans of other brands.... Hence one sided arguements/bashings online depending on which site you're on..
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

And even in Aus, you can go out and buy a half decent R32GTR that can worry a brand new Porsche for under $20K....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
What else can you buy for under $500K that can compete with a GTR that goes for $160K (M3 money). Porsche Turbo maybe, is there any Ferraris under half a million that can match the 0-100/quarter times? The Lexus LFA (for $750K!!) is marginally quicker around the 'Ring but slower in a straight line and costs $600K more! The R35 is arguably the greatest bang for buck car of all time. Of course this breeds contempt and resentment from die hard fans of other brands.... Hence one sided arguements/bashings online depending on which site you're on..
I realize the bang for the buck side, especially talking about stock cars.

My point is though, you can grab a decent car, and modify it to pull the same times and speed as a GT-R R35, for qaurter or half the price of a GT-R, then people argue it's modded vs stock.

But when a modded GT-R goes up against say a Bugatti and comes close to winning, and people argue modded against stock, it's oh so wrong to do so?

I'm not bashing GT-R at all, just wondering how it's possible there are people who can only see it one way, after they are proven wrong?

But I suppose that's people for ya?

Last edited by XR6Naranja; 21-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love the car, its some of the drivers that get on my goat always trying to egg you on for a race because you drive a V8.
The stigma spread to other models and brands too, with them all tacking on their doggy cans at the back (rear bumper is normally coated in black oil/soot) and they all tack on the silly bov which was originally a piece of equipment reserved for rally use, its just so chev badge on the commodore, or all our "bros" here that think this place is the bronx in Harlem and get into tagging, or listening to that doof doof music thats not really music at all in the true sense of the word grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
RANT OVER~
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
Love the car, its some of the drivers that get on my goat always trying to egg you on for a race because you drive a V8.
The stigma spread to other models and brands too, with them all tacking on their doggy cans at the back (rear bumper is normally coated in black oil/soot) and they all tack on the silly bov which was originally a piece of equipment reserved for rally use, its just so chev badge on the commodore, or all our "bros" here that think this place is the bronx in Harlem and get into tagging, or listening to that doof doof music thats not really music at all in the true sense of the word grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
RANT OVER~
Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one who is frustrated at these sort of things, I never saw the idea behind a cannon, big huge muffler that makes the car sound like any civic that also has one.

Old 21-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeSpider
Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one who is frustrated at these sort of things, I never saw the idea behind a cannon, big huge muffler that makes the car sound like any civic that also has one.
But Civics are awesome, they have V-Tec!
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
But Civics are awesome, they have V-Tec!
Haha, yeah, but I'd like to think if I owned a V6 I'd like it to sound like a V6 =P

Old 21-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Most "fanbois" are schoolboy keyboard warriors that have played too much Fast And Furious on Playstation and think that they are now Gods gift to all things automotive.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
superyob
Banned

Being able "tromp 99% of cars on the road" is still no recommendation for the merit of any car. I will still prefer, by a long margin, my old Fairlane to any bells and whistles that Europe or Japan can produce. I suppose it’s like comparing a very slick washing machine or household appliance to the appeal of a rumbling piece of classic metal that really excites the senses.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big picture guys, GTR is ultra high technology and performs accordingly. It is way ahead of everything else except for purpose made supercars in the areas of outright handling and accelleration. It is not much good in sand, mud or for towing a boat or even carrying 4 mates down to maccas on Friday night and it doesn't have stripes.

It is amusing that so many on here show distain for technology in the GTR yet embrace it in the F6 and new GT as FPV "advanced technology" is the ONLY reason why they are quicker than HSV. Of course it is arguable that HSV, especially GTS is quicker on circuits than FPV, again this is due to "advanced technology".

Would I own one, yes.

Would I own one if it was my only car, no, they are far too high maintenance and vertically focused in the same way a GT2/GT3/Ferarri/whatever is fun to play with but there is more to life than playing.
I have been driving a sports car for the last four years and while it is a lot of fun and will blow most cars into the weeds on any windy road it does have its limitations.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Big picture guys, GTR is ultra high technology and performs accordingly. It is way ahead of everything else except for purpose made supercars in the areas of outright handling and accelleration. It is not much good in sand, mud or for towing a boat or even carrying 4 mates down to maccas on Friday night and it doesn't have stripes.

It is amusing that so many on here show distain for technology in the GTR yet embrace it in the F6 and new GT as FPV "advanced technology" is the ONLY reason why they are quicker than HSV. Of course it is arguable that HSV, especially GTS is quicker on circuits than FPV, again this is due to "advanced technology".

Would I own one, yes.

Would I own one if it was my only car, no, they are far too high maintenance and vertically focused in the same way a GT2/GT3/Ferarri/whatever is fun to play with but there is more to life than playing.
I have been driving a sports car for the last four years and while it is a lot of fun and will blow most cars into the weeds on any windy road it does have its limitations.
Decent look on it, without seeming hypocritical, I'm thinking that maybe the GT-R is a little TOO advanced, I mean the Top Gear test shows the car with and without the traction control, and the car just doesn't do anything but accelerate and corner at such a precise level.

I think I'd be slightly bummed if I went to a skid pan just to drive around in circles because it wouldn't break loose.

Old 21-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

From what I hear, the GT-R is not very involving, despite high levels of grip and acceleration (similar to a WRX then). I'm 18 and I'd much rather an MX-5 for outright thrills. The car just does not appeal to me at all.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The GTR (current model) is an awesome machine that is so stupidly easy to drive it's scary. You get in, belt up, turn the key and off you go. You don't know the potential till you put a bit of weight in your right foot and boy does teach you to respect all that has gone into making it what it is....

As for the fan boys... there is a top gear clip on youtube I love watching that puts a GT-R against a McLaren F1....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvg...ain&playnext=0

If you want to stirr them up more, use it ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Swathe

I don't "hate" the GT-R but it basically comes down to personal preference. I'd rather some old rat rod running a 289 side valve or whatever because I simply like that stuff better. I'm a V8 Ford man and that's what I love. Most of the rabid GT-R fans I know still can't even legally drive one let alone afford one.
Old 21-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The GTR (current model) is an awesome machine that is so stupidly easy to drive it's scary. You get in, belt up, turn the key and off you go. You don't know the potential till you put a bit of weight in your right foot and boy does teach you to respect all that has gone into making it what it is....

As for the fan boys... there is a top gear clip on youtube I love watching that puts a GT-R against a McLaren F1....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvg...ain&playnext=0

If you want to stirr them up more, use it ;)
Link ain't what you described....
Old 21-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Link ain't what you described....
Oh drats.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxZVhkVz6M

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
SuspectEB

Something about 2 tons, automatic trans, leather interior, 20zzzz, and over the top electronics.
Gtr is not a performance car. Porshe gt2 rs is.
So I don't get how people can argue those two.
SLS AMG is more of a gtr competitor.

Fan boys will always argue no Matter what.

Gtr does laps well for a luxury barge. I can see and like that. But i can also see what its not what so many people think it is. It's not a BNCR32/3/4.
Mmm body kit
Sunroof
Custom respray
ROH Modena 3 peice wheels

01 AU XR6 VCT
Sunroof
Manual
Coilovers
Big brakes
Carbon bonnet
Pursuit/TS body kit
Lip spoiler
TE interior
18x9.5 18x10.5 with semi slicks
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I use to own a R32 GTR Vspec-II and I have never forgotten that car. Pure enjoyment and just an amazing machine. I can see why people get obsessive with them. I know I was.
Old 21-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I use to own a R32 GTR Vspec-II and I have never forgotten that car. Pure enjoyment and just an amazing machine. I can see why people get obsessive with them. I know I was.

Well said, it was my obsession for a number of years too.

I owned a 350+rwkw R32 and will never forget the joy it gave me. An absolute amazing machine in every sense.

As for the new GTR it's a mind boggling piece of tech. The engineering that has gone into this vehicle will make your head spin.

Eg, different ride height, spring and shock rates from left to right to correct handling on RHD cars. Everything is done for a reason and calculated down the most minute detail.

Long live the God Father, Kazutoshi Mizuno.

Last edited by GT 160; 21-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I'm a fanboy.... Sometime in the near future i'll have a Nismo Blue 34 Nur in my garage... Would love a 400r but that will never happen
Old 21-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
Well said, it was my obsession for a number of years too.

I owned a 350+rwkw R32 and will never forget the joy it gave me. An absolute amazing machine in every sense.

As for the new GTR it's a mind boggling piece of tech. The engineering that has gone into this vehicle will make your head spin.

Eg, different ride height, spring and shock rates from left to right to correct handling on RHD cars. Everything is done for a reason and calculated down the most minute detail.

Long live the God Father, Kazutoshi Mizuno.
But it seems clear that you two are able to see that it's not the only car in the world.

Old 21-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeSpider
But it seems clear that you two are able to see that it's not the only car in the world.
in all honesty, what on earth are you on about?

because you look up youtube vids with GTR's, and see the typical garbage comments underneath, automatically means theres a "stigma" about the car?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
in all honesty, what on earth are you on about?

because you look up youtube vids with GTR's, and see the typical garbage comments underneath, automatically means theres a "stigma" about the car?
It's all over the place, Youtube is just something I can sample to everyone here, there just seems to be a one eye'd view towards the GT-R from most fans.