Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Building a ute and bike trailer

Hello all. In a couple of weeks i will be building a bike trailer from scratch using a good steel frame i have been given. I will also build a trailer out of a brand new Mazda BT-50 ute tub. Both will be single axle. Just wondering what i need to do in regards to creating an ID number and having them inspected for roadworthy, since i am the manufacturer? I am in NSW Sydney.

Old 16-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: Building a ute and bike trailer

These couple of links may be of interest to you.

Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1

Trailer forum

When I got a homemade trailer registered for the first time I just took it down for a blue slip and they organised everything.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
Just wondering what i need to do in regards to creating an ID number and having them inspected for roadworthy, since i am the manufacturer? I am in NSW Sydney.
Last time I did it in ACT, I went to a blue slip guy (which was odd as in the ACT you normally go over the pits) and he handed me a box of stamps, a hammer and a scrap of paper with a number on it.

10 mins later I was in to the Motor Registry with all paperwork in hand.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Naddis - Was the blueslip more expensive for this? Do they give you your own VIN number? I assume that it will need a weighbridge ticket first?
Old 16-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

It was a while ago now so I can't remember how much the blueslip was. From memory it was around $80 but I could be wrong. The rego was expensive for some reason for the first year (around $150 from memory) but was about $50 thereafter. Yes they organised the VIN which they stamped into a plate and riveted that to the drawbar. They had to put on a couple of reflectors down the side of the trailer that I didn't have as well. Yes you will need a weighbridge ticket first.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Cool. Sounds pretty straightforward guys. Thanks very much for that!