Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Default Banks, ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I was looking to buy a car on sunday (still buying it), so I thought I'd go down the bank on Friday and get a check cut for the agreed amount (it's not the first time I've viewed the car). Well that turned into a farce as their systems were down. Fair enough I thought, I'll just put a deposit down and pick the car up on Monday.

It's now Monday and their systems are still down, they were running on the weekend, but you can't get a bank check from a ATM. Now they are saying tomorrow will be the best they can do.

I'm not going to say the bank I'm with but I can safely say I won't be with them much longer.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Banks, ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Stuff happens. Was it NAB? I went to 2 separate restaurants of the same chain Fri night and both had no EFTPOS facilities.

How much are we talking? Couldn't you just pull cash out?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I remember when if you were going for a holiday to say Merimbula, you had to go to your bank and arrange to withdraw an agreed amount each week from the Merimbula branch. No ATMs, no money on the weekend unless you withdrew it on a Friday afternoon.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the cash in your account. Get your ATM limit increased and take out the cash. Then pay the guy cash or if you really need a cheque goto another bank pay the $15 odd bucks and get a bank cheque.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
z80
Banned

cash works when buying a car.

We paid 40k in cash for a van recently cause bank wouldnt give a free bank cheque.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bearing in mind, if you are buying from a dealer & you are paying $10k or more in cash, you may have to fill out some sort of decleration form indicating where all that cash came from. The government sticking it's nose in other people's business, again. Another forum user may have more info on this matter.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

It was under 10k, but the point was for 2 work days I had no access to my savings. They would only give $100 cash and that was it on both days.

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any reason why you didn't just D/D it into their account ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I sold my last car the buyer did a direct deposit on a Saturday around lunchtime. The funds did not clear and show up in my account until Tuesday. The sale price was $4500 and he could only withdraw $1k a day at the ATM, so he could have only got $2k out over the weekend.
Old 16-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

What part of their system was down, can't people understand? Their entire network. That means there was no way I could get anymore money other than $100. No net banking, no over the counter. I even went home and gott my latest statement to show them the balance, but still no go. Was all sorted on tuesday.

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Old 16-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Just bearing in mind, if you are buying from a dealer & you are paying $10k or more in cash, you may have to fill out some sort of decleration form indicating where all that cash came from. The government sticking it's nose in other people's business, again. Another forum user may have more info on this matter.
I can assure you that there are well known ways to deposit the money so that it isn't 10k. Cough.. cough.. $9,999.... ah hum... 9,999 transactions are the most common way ;) from what I hear....

I paid for the wifes TDCI Focus cash... and friends of friends who do similar tell me they didn't fill out any forms and there may have been a discussion that something similar to the above could have been done.

Nor have they heard anything since the transaction....

Not tooo sure but, I was drunk at the time of the story and I may be totally wrong of course.

I don't deal with cheques unless it's for real estate.... I like to buy something, hand over the money and take my item away.. There is always that gray area when your waiting for the cheque to clear. Who owns the car for those 3 days? Who keeps the keys and where is it kept.

Sold and bought a dozen cars over the years. Cash (preferred) or direct deposit then and there in front of the buyer using my computer.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post