Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face A controversial year, but Jeremy Clarkson pockets $3 million from Top Gear

A controversial year, but Jeremy Clarkson pockets $3 million from Top Gear
Harry Wallop in London
January 10, 2012 - 11:48AM

Affair accusations ... Jeremy Clarkson, pictured with his wife Frances in September last year. Photo: Getty Images
He has been accused of racism, attracted widespread criticism for saying strikers should be shot and been forced to abandon an injunction about allegations he had an affair with his first wife while still married to his second.

But after an annus horribilis, company accounts show that Jeremy Clarkson, made more than £2 million ($3 million) from Top Gear last year thanks to a lucrative deal with the BBC. The figures, more than twice what he received in 2010, underline how he has become one of the corporation's most successful performers in spite, or because, of his ability to generate controversy.

The TV presenter's annual windfall is thanks to a complex deal he struck with BBC Worldwide to ensure he benefits from the motoring programme being shown in 198 territories as well as the spin-off DVDs, merchandise and live shows.

Accounts filed at Companies House for Bedder 6, a company he set up a few years ago to take advantage of the Top Gear brand, show that his own cut amounted to £1.79 million in the year to March 2011. On top of this, he is paid £350,000 as a performance fee by the BBC, taking his total annual pay from Top Gear up to £2.14 million, an increase of £854,000 on last year.

This payment tops a colourful year for Clarkson, which ended with the Top Gear Christmas special pulling in five million viewers, his ex-wife accusing him of being a "bully and a hypocrite" and criticism for his joke that striking public sector workers should be shot.

The BBC allowed Clarkson to set up his company in 2006 after fears that the presenter would leave, seriously damaging the global success of Top Gear. BBC Worldwide has a 50 per cent stake in the company but, in return, Clarkson and his old friend Andy Wilman, a co-producer on the show, receive the remainder of the money made.

Pre-tax profits at Bedder 6 jumped from £9.06 million to £14.8 million, while the dividend paid to the three shareholders - Clarkson, Mr Wilman and BBC Worldwide - increased from £1.68 million to £5.95 million. The success last year came about mostly because of the increasingly popularity of Top Gear in America, where it was remade for the local audience, and Australia.

Clarkson's performance fee ensures he is technically not one of the highest paid BBC stars but the deal with Bedder 6 calls into question how other corporation stars have structured their finances. Presenter Graham Norton is understood to have a similar deal, his production company sharing some of the royalties.

The Daily Telegraph, London

Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: A controversial year, but Jeremy Clarkson pockets $3 million from Top Gear

Clarkson is dead to me after he reviewed the Falcon GT.

But the BBC won't can him no matter what he says because he is their biggest export. He makes the show basically.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A controversial year, but Jeremy Clarkson pockets $3 million from Top Gear

Lucky him, i really dont mind as a person though, even though he is a rich ignorant snob i cant help but respect him but above all find him hilarious.

I wonder what Richard Hammond and James May earned... haha
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
LIKE A - G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Clarkson is dead to me after he reviewed the Falcon GT.

But the BBC won't can him no matter what he says because he is their biggest export. He makes the show basically.
Got a youtube link?
LIKE A - G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKE A - G6
Got a youtube link?
No. It's only a written article.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKE A - G6
Got a youtube link?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11330628

No YouTube, it was a written review.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much the other tg guys get. I like them more.

Clarksons a pretty good presenter when he is being serious. But he is over the top and trying to hard too often.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the global success of Top Gear, with all of its foreign franchises, magazine, merchandise, and spin-off DVDs; $3m seems quite minimal in comparison to other television talent, especially as Clarkson is one of the main driving forces behind Top Gear. He has a lot of experience, he is an entrepreneur, and he sells a lot of shows to many markets. The question I have is why isn't he making more? I think having it on BBC is holding him back.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Rodge
Banned

^^ What he said. Really, like him or not, he's larger than life and besides, looking at what some other media personalities get...

On another note, there's a gross inconsistency with his review of the F6 and SC GT. One he rated the best car under $100K or words to that effect and the other he was far less complimetary...but they both drive, perform and handle in a very, very similar manner. He's very entertaining and about as reliable and consistent as a 3 bob watch, but I forgive him, he's very, very entertaining and that covers a multitude of sins.

Yeah, I'd love to know how much the other two make, they probably deserve more as without either of them the show would be unduly unbalanced.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

eh good on him, he really built the show to what it is today.
He is controversial and I don't always agree with what he says but I get a bit of a laugh watching the show. Sure it isn't what it used to be and sadly will never go back to those early episodes but i'll still watch it. James is the only other TG presenter i like to watch he has a dry sense of humor and his reviews have a lot more insight.

As for pay, as I believe JC gets more than the other two as TG is the only show he does where the other two have other shows they present.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Not to mention they all do side jobs and sponsorships, not just Top Gear/BBC.

They would all be raking it in quite well I'd say.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be more interested to see the figures on what the BBC makes out of the show each year...distribution rights, marketing, merchandise, advertising...I reckon three million to Clarkson would be a drop in the bucket.

I just went and re-read his short review of the GT...and sorry, but I did just have a look at a GT the other day while waiting for our G6E to be serviced, and the interior is a bit tame and plasticky here and there...certainly none of the prestige materials and a plush and rich-looking interior that you kind of expect in a flagship model...apart from a few small touches like the start button and GT labels, it could have been any old Falcon, which surprised me.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 11-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think he deserves that. at least.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post