Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Matty4
Banana

Default Selling car interstate

It looks like I may have sold my car to someone in QLD (I'm in Vic).
The car currently has 8 months rego left on it. I have some questions (if anyone knows the answer).
1. Do I need a RWC if I'm selling interstate?
2. Is a Vic RWC recognised in QLD for re-registration purposes?
3. Do QLD Dept of Transport issue unregistered vehicle permits for vehicles being driven interstate, or would a Vic one get up to QLD?
4. I'm assuming the 8 months rego can't be cashed in up in QLD?

Sorry for all these, I need some answers before the prospective buyer rings me back tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers all,
Matty

Old 17-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Selling car interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
It looks like I may have sold my car to someone in QLD (I'm in Vic).
The car currently has 8 months rego left on it. I have some questions (if anyone knows the answer).
1. Do I need a RWC if I'm selling interstate?
2. Is a Vic RWC recognised in QLD for re-registration purposes?
3. Do QLD Dept of Transport issue unregistered vehicle permits for vehicles being driven interstate, or would a Vic one get up to QLD?
4. I'm assuming the 8 months rego can't be cashed in up in QLD?

Sorry for all these, I need some answers before the prospective buyer rings me back tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers all,
Matty
Matty,
In my opinion and dealings with this type of thing I would say that you would sell the car unregistered with a VIC permit which covers the drive back to QLD. VIC RWC would not be recognised in QLD and rego can't be cashed in to buyers name as the car will never have been in his name in Vic. Best to cash it in yourself once deal is done and drop the money off the price. Hope this helps, Regards, Jono.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) No up to you if you want to sell the car with a roadworthy or not. However you say you MAY have just sold it, ummm what was the terms of the sale?
As the buyer may be a little bit peeved if he thinks the car is registered and you then tell him its not.... etc etc... but then obviously its buyer beware and a person buying an interstate car should know this.

2)No its not as far as im aware, though some interstate mechanic may be registered with Qld Transport, but i doubt it?

3) The new owner will need to sort out driving permits and he will probably need one for each state he transits. Let him sort it out.

4) No cant transfer remaining rego or money to QLD, so cash it in.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

RWC not recognised state to state.

No rego can't be cashed by new owner. The rego must be transferred into the new owners name with in 30 or 90 days (Can't remember exact time frame)

Best bet. Sell the car less rego and explain to prospective buyer. Or 2ndly. See if the new owner will send back the rego plates/sticker once he has it transferred. Yes that is a trust thing, but so is you selling the car as being regoed and then canning the rego upon pick up.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
05_ENFORCER

Not trying to hijack, just digressing.

If I was to purchase a Qld GT which is currently rego'd in Qld and drive it back to W.A can I drive around on the Qld plates in W.A until rego runs out?

I also have access to a Qld residential address if required

Old 17-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
STROPP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for both of you you can drive interstate with the rego, wa 1 week to get it changed over and the plates in both states must be handed in and returned to vic, the new owner can get a refund if the transfer paperwork is sighted by the original state mvr, I have bought a few interstate ones and bought over here to wa. hope this helps.
Old 17-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i sold my supra to a guy in QLD with a few months NSW rego left on it
and just told him to hand the plates in up there when he changes it over to QLD rego....but we dont need an RWC when selling with rego in nsw
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Matty4
Banana

Spoke to the prospective buyer again today, he's still keen.
I told him I would cash in the remaining rego and knock that off the purchase price and he'll organise whatever permits are needed to drive it back to QLD without plates on it. I won't RWC it as it wouldn't be recognised up there anyway. It's already been checked a couple of months ago and passed a RWC check anyway, so he shouldn't have any dramas..

Fingers crossed..
Old 19-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

He will have to get a roadworthy done in qld and re register it with new plates. I would let him drive it up on the vic plates and rego and then let him get it registered. Just make sure that you sign the back of the rego papers and dispose of the vehicle so you don't incur any fines.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
Not trying to hijack, just digressing.

If I was to purchase a Qld GT which is currently rego'd in Qld and drive it back to W.A can I drive around on the Qld plates in W.A until rego runs out?

I also have access to a Qld residential address if required

When i bought my car from QLD it had a few months rego left on it so i decided to keep it on QLD rego until it ran out and just payed the late fee for not changing over in time.
a small late fee in exchange for 4 months rego was well worth it.
And i also had to make an insurance claim whilst it was still in QLD rego, so no issues their either.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

if i buy a car with 8 months rego remaining, that rego then becomes mine! i have bought numerous cars interstate. i fly over, drive them home and then take them to the inspection centre to get the rego transfered to SA rego. i then take the old plates to the rego office. they cancel them and give me a reciept which i then send interstate to claim whatever is remaining on the registration. have bought from vic, qld and nsw.

if the car is registered, you are free to drive it in whichever state you want. you have up to 2 weeks to get it transferred to your name.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
AU Mont
Banned

as mentioned, the rego is useless to the buyer and he would have to cancel it, go through a process of claiming a partial refund through vic roads, then have to organise his own RWC and rego through QLD transport anyway

im in QLD, and having bought a car recently from a dealer in VIC the deal was done over the phone. I deposited money into his account, and paid CEVA car transport $800.

All the seller had to do was drop the car off at the VIC depot, remove plates/cancel rego, and put the agreement in the glovebox car sold "as is" and when it arrived in QLD cost me $60 for a day permit to drive it home. As for getting the car on the road, i was allowed to drive the car without a permit as long as the trips were directly to the RWC place & QLD transport for inspection for rego purposes
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Rambunctious

im in QLD,

As for getting the car on the road, i was allowed to drive the car without a permit as long as the trips were directly to the RWC place & QLD transport for inspection for rego purposes[/QUOTE]

Not quite correct.

In Qld you are only allowed to drive the vehicle to Transport for Inspection of engine number and Rego provided you have

(A) Safety Certificate.
(B) Third Party Insurance.
(C) Rego papers filled out, signed and dated.

Be very careful who you get your info from at QT because most don't know and the rest don't care.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My concern with driving a technically unregistered car (permit or not) a decent distance is the insurance issues. I assume getting your new pride and joy insured before the long trip is impossible if unregistered. I would have thought it possible however if there was still some sort of interstate rego on it.
falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious

Not quite correct.

In Qld you are only allowed to drive the vehicle to Transport for Inspection of engine number and Rego provided you have

(A) Safety Certificate.
(B) Third Party Insurance.
(C) Rego papers filled out, signed and dated.
yes thats what i did, but didnt go into that much detail in my post. I assume anyone about to go through the motions would read the info on the transport website for specifics
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
drive it back to QLD without plates on it.
i found some petrol stations wouldn't sell me fuel because the car had no plates (even though i had a permit).
Old 20-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i found some petrol stations wouldn't sell me fuel because the car had no plates (even though i had a permit).
Surely if you went in and gave them your credit card or similar it would be oK?