Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Default Central Coast/Sydney/Blue Mountains ideas?

Greetings all!

Next Month I'm heading over to Central Coast by car from Melbourne for the soccer for 4 nights and just wanted to know any touristy things to look out for.
Suprisingly I haven't done Sydney properly as well, only for a day.
So everything will be new to me!

The main base will be Central Coast but plan to do Sydney atleast for a day and also the Blue Mountains for a day.

I have been looking up for things to do but thought I'd ask here

The things I'm looking to do is just the usual city sights and sounds, scenic and nature based stuff, beaches (Central Coast more), driving roads and general nightlife.
Nightlife might just do Gosford Thursday night. Local sounds appealing.

Thanks

JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Central Coast/Sydney/Blue Mountains ideas?

IMO, Terrigal Beach is quite a nice place to visit - I suggest visiting the Skillion while your there too....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

Hey mate, if your're doing the beaches, my favourite is Killcare.It's a surf beach, but the waves aren't massive and angry, just big enough to be roughed around a bit but not dangerous. The water there is the cleanest I've seen at any beach I've been too, and it's not crowded like Terrigal beach etc. It's fairly private, and is also patrolled with a surf club with a take away shop (but it's v/ expensive :/ )

There's not heaps night-life wise on a Thursday in Gosford. There's a club that has 'Gee wiz' at Blush (opposite CCLC) but I'm not sure how old you are and if a night club scene would appeal to you. There's also 'Woodport' on a Wed, Fri and Sat nights in Erina if clubs are your thing.

Def check out Terrigal, it's probably the Bondi equivalent of the Central Coast. Nice beach that's always busy, fancy cafe's, bars, surf shops etc. Check out the Beer Garden at the Crowne Plaza in Terrigal. Just got a huge renovation and is a great relaxing place right across the road from the beach for a few sneaky beers on a Sunday arvo. Also check out Terrigal Pub, Friday nights the one for that.

If you after day fillers, you can do part of the Great North Walk. It's a bush walk that connects to hundreds of Km's of track from Sydney to somewhere way far up. It is full of signs and is well maintained and is definitely recommended. A good spot start that is from Patonga, a small little town right at the back of the peninsula (and has a pretty cool road to get there, fun twisty down hill bits plus two massive straights ;) ) I'd recommend starting the walk faily early, maybe 10ish (take water) then about an hour odd later turn back and walk up patonga beach at about 1 ish when you get back. There's also a very nice pub there with massive beer selection and a great feed, you do pay a slight premium but because the closest pub is 10 odd km away.

Another day filler is Erina Fair. Just a big shopping complex with cinema, ice-skating, etc etc. Basic shopping centre stuff.

That's about all I can think of quickly off the top of my head. If you want anything else or maps whatever just ask, Central Coast local haha

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your heading up the mountains from Gosford & want see some driving roads. I suggest heading up via Wisemans ferry, great drive & nice scenery aswell as a trip on a car ferry (which is free).

http://g.co/maps/ug9ad

While your up in the mountains you could check out the old abandon Catalina Raceway in Katoomba (neer the three sisters) if your into old stuff.

heres a few pics of it

in its heyday

now

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, there's The Entrance, Norah Head lighthouse and Soldier's beach and Westfield Tuggerah is big enough; to add to my excellent friends' above tour guide advice.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Very good replies so far thanks.

Terrigal Beach I'll have to check out, and Killcare looks pretty amazing in photos.
Is MacMasters Beach meant to be alright?
Are there any more decent enough beaches more North in the Central Coast region? The better beaches apart to be south!

Well I'm a bit of a youngin still so the nightclub scene is what I'm after ;)
I've heard of Blush and was going to go there on Thursday night.
The Woodpoint looks like it can cover Friday night.

I'll be sure to look into the other stuff for sure such as the walk.

That drive to Katoomba looks amazing, and will most likely pop into the raceway. Looks interesting thank you

Looked a bit into The Enterance a bit before.
Will have a look around there and the surroundings.

But yeah will probably look into things in the Blue Mountains such as the cable car thing and might head out to Bathurst as well.

Might of not responded to everything but I've taken it all on board.

Also, with the Central Coast maps. Is there a road directory for the area or it's apart of the Sydway or which ever road directory it is?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Um, Re Road directory, generally a GPS will do, but if you haven't got one, a UBD will suit you fine
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

hahaha I've got a sat nav.
I generally hate them but will probably use it here and there if I'm desperate.
I'm old fashioned and love my maps
UBD is it thanks haha
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
creative
I am Batman

Terrigal pub. Nice place for a bite to eat during the day, good night out on the weekend. For the Best fish and chips I have found from the snapper spot on terrigal front.

Beach wise, check out bateau bay. Halfway between terrigal and the entrance. Nice little cove.

Woodies... Hmmm I would hit the plaza or terrigal pub over that place any day! Horrible place but decent music. If you do insist on it tho, start at jacks bar across the road to get warmed up.

There is a very nice restaurant in bluebay, next to the entrance and it sits on the beach front. Tiny little place it is but excellent food and the view is amazing. Ocean restaurant on boodilla rd. A little pricy but worth it.

If the weather is good, check out somersby falls. Cracking spot to have a picnic.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
buggo
[BU66OS]

Yeah woodies is pretty seedy of a place. The only time that is half decent is 'bounce' some Saturday night, have 3 floors open and 5 styles of music going in different rooms. plus, being a club there's an entry fee. I would go tez pub on Friday if I were you, might even sre me there haha. Cost nothing being a pub, plus the atmosphere, people and venue is a lot more relaxed and classier.
If you go to blush on thursday, say 'chad' at the door for cheap entry. Not me but a mate of mine who is host there haha. But I put blush, and pulse around the corner, in the same catagory as woodport.
I don't know what kind of music you're into, but if you don't feel like going to blush, and you're a bit of a rock head, there's a place in Sydney called hot damn. They play blink 182 to parkway drive and everything in between. plus live local bands earlier in the night. cheap entry and $5 spirits all night. It's my favorite place by far, but thats cuz I prefer that type of music over top 40s remix's.

Re:map. Yeah there's a central coast specific map.

Also, you prob won't bring a bike, but of you do, there's many great mountain bike tracks all over the coast, plus an awesome and huge one in blue mountains.

BA XR8 Manual

Last edited by buggo; 08-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Terrigal pub. Nice place for a bite to eat during the day, good night out on the weekend. For the Best fish and chips I have found from the snapper spot on terrigal front.

Beach wise, check out bateau bay. Halfway between terrigal and the entrance. Nice little cove.

Woodies... Hmmm I would hit the plaza or terrigal pub over that place any day! Horrible place but decent music. If you do insist on it tho, start at jacks bar across the road to get warmed up.

There is a very nice restaurant in bluebay, next to the entrance and it sits on the beach front. Tiny little place it is but excellent food and the view is amazing. Ocean restaurant on boodilla rd. A little pricy but worth it.

If the weather is good, check out somersby falls. Cracking spot to have a picnic.

From what I've read from here the Terrigal Pub seems to be a goer haha. Will need to look into it

That beach looks fantastic, putting that on the list

Many great recommendations food wise, we are definitely set if we need to get some food haha.

Those waterfalls were on the list of things to do. Going to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Yeah woodies is pretty seedy of a place. The only time that is half decent is 'bounce' some Saturday night, have 3 floors open and 5 styles of music going in different rooms. plus, being a club there's an entry fee. I would go tez pub on Friday if I were you, might even sre me there haha. Cost nothing being a pub, plus the atmosphere, people and venue is a lot more relaxed and classier.
If you go to blush on thursday, say 'chad' at the door for cheap entry. Not me but a mate of mine who is host there haha. But I put blush, and pulse around the corner, in the same catagory as woodport.
I don't know what kind of music you're into, but if you don't feel like going to blush, and you're a bit of a rock head, there's a place in Sydney called hot damn. They play blink 182 to parkway drive and everything in between. plus live local bands earlier in the night. cheap entry and $5 spirits all night. It's my favorite place by far, but thats cuz I prefer that type of music over top 40s remix's.

Re:map. Yeah there's a central coast specific map.

Also, you prob won't bring a bike, but of you do, there's many great mountain bike tracks all over the coast, plus an awesome and huge one in blue mountains.
Seedy/dirty places can be fun sometimes imo :p
What kind of music do they play at Tez Pub? (slang for Terrigal Pub I gather)
Doesn't sound bad for something more relaxed as we are heading back the day after (Saturday)

Well for going out I do prefer all that top 40s remix stuff and general dance stuff.
Generally I don't enjoy it in my own time but for going out it's a different story.

The guestlist shall be handy thanks.

It feels like I'm going to need more time in the region

Oh and no we won't be bringing any bikes haha

Last edited by JTFG; 09-12-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
Seedy/dirty places can be fun sometimes imo :p
Haha Too true ;)

Tez pub play top 40's remix's. But I've seen some acoustic guitarist's singing earlier in the night too on occasion.
I'm going there tonight so I'll let you know if it's good haha

BA XR8 Manual
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Haha Too true ;)

Tez pub play top 40's remix's. But I've seen some acoustic guitarist's singing earlier in the night too on occasion.
I'm going there tonight so I'll let you know if it's good haha
See you there! Lol

Terrigal pub doesn't get going till 10ish. They do food until 9/9.30. Music is a mixed bag from RnB to dance. Usual stuff really. Mixed bag of people of all ages that go as well.

The guitar dude is usually during the day/afternoon, usually Sunday but occasionally sat.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

sounds okay hahaha

Central Coast seems like a pretty decent area to live in from all the stuff I've read and researched.

Does anyone here go for the Mariners in the A-League?
That's the main reason why I'm going. To see my team play against them!