Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Crime DOES pay!

Well there you go... overnight celebrity status, several TV deals and heaps of money to "tell his harrowing" story of how aweful its been in a Bali jail, nevermind he broke the law and deserves a kick up the....

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...105-1n1db.html

Quote:
Bali boy to talk after six-figure deal with Nine and 60 Minutes
Rebecca Richardson
November 6, 2011
Striking a deal with 60 Minutes ... the boy in Bali.

THE family of the 14-year-old boy on drug charges in Bali has sealed a six-figure deal with Nine Entertainment to tell the story of his arrest and trial.

Sources told The Sun-Herald last night that the deal, worth between $200,000 and $300,000, includes coverage across 60 Minutes, Nine News, and Nine Entertainment's ACP magazines. Nine's managing director, Jeffrey Browne, finalised the deal and it was signed off by the chief executive, David Gyngell. A source confirmed a 60 Minutes team may fly to Bali on Wednesday to film some colour for an interview with the boy and his family – in anticipation that he will be released on Friday.

The celebrity publicist Grant Vandenberg managed the deal, that was signed on Thursday.

News Ltd's Sunday newspapers said 60 Minutes intended to "unmask" the boy as wide-eyed and frightened, and would not have survived the ordeal after his "terrible mistake" without the support of his heartbroken parents.

Nine spokesman David Hurley told The Sun-Herald: "We're obviously keen like all other media but we can't confirm anything at this stage."

The deal could backfire if the federal government moves to seize the money under proceeds of crime legislation, which applies to breaches of domestic and overseas laws.

In August, the NSW Supreme Court froze profits from David Hicks's memoir, Guantanamo: My Journey, pending an application by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions to confiscate the money as proceeds of crime.

In 2007, Commonwealth prosecutors similarly launched legal action against Schapelle Corby, who was convicted of smuggling marijuana into Bali, over her book My Story.

The Queensland Supreme Court allowed Corby to keep $280,000 but prosecutors were able to seize more than $100,000 in royalties.

Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland was not available for comment last night.

The Morisset Park teenager told a Denpasar court on Friday that he would redouble his efforts to kick his marijuana habit, and begged to be allowed to go home. The verdict is expected on Friday.

with Mark Forbes
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz1csVLND3K

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crime DOES pay!

What a joke....
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
jrfttf
Getting By!?

^^^^^^^^^^ x 2^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wonder if he brings the money back home if it will be taken under the profiting from recounting crimes act??????????
Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Let's just hope the government intervenes to keep the cash...and even better if the boy has to stay over there for a bit longer...
Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, you just can't buy intelligence can you? In between counting the various the ways they're going to spend the loot, do you reckon the parents have considered that they have probably now significantly increased the chances of their son receiving a prison term? Don't tell me that it wouldn't cross the mind of the Bali judge to think "yep, I'll make them earn their $300k" and slap the boy with 24 months in the clink. It just beggars belief....
Old 06-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Proceeds of crime.......

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Well, you just can't buy intelligence can you? In between counting the various the ways they're going to spend the loot, do you reckon the parents have considered that they have probably now significantly increased the chances of their son receiving a prison term? Don't tell me that it wouldn't cross the mind of the Bali judge to think "yep, I'll make them earn their $300k" and slap the boy with 24 months in the clink. It just beggars belief....
I was thinking much the same thing. Pretty much like all the reports at the start that he was coming home by the end of the week. Non-custodial sentences, or serve it here etc.

Its like poking a hornets nest.

Unless they know something we dont, like he is likely to spend some time there. Money can make life easier in their jails, so maybe they are planning for that. Or pay his way out.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

What is wrong with channel 9. why pay good money to a druggo
Old 06-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares. It's not taxpayers money their using to pay for the story
Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

He's a young kid and I hope he's home soon but I think him getting $$$ for telling his story will not sit well with the Indonesian judiciary. They don't like being told what to do by Australia and I think the boy may now have to wait a while longer to access his money from Australian soil.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Who cares. It's not taxpayers money their using to pay for the story

Er.. that isnt the point... he was caught breaking the law and now he is being rewarded. This message tells other teenagers its ok to buy drugs as the media will jump on the bandwagan and pay you thousands for your bad bad bad experience at the hands of those nasty indonesians

Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Rewarded?

The family is facing massive legal costs in an attempt to get him home, I'm sure what's being offered is much the same as what they're having to spend to try and get him home.

He's a 14yr old kid, he (possibly) made a mistake. He doesn't deserve to sit in a cell with adults for the next 6(?) years for buying a bag of weed.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

I still find it amazing that anyone would be monumentally stupid enough to consider doing drugs in a country like Indonesia, especially when we have such role models over there as Schapelle Corby, and not to forget the Darwin Award nominees, the "Bali Nine". If this kid can't relax on a Family Holiday with his parents, away from the Marijuana, then he doesn't really deserve to be over there.

Stick him in the clink, make an example out of him, and donate the money to charity. Channel Nine will do anything for ratings, and this is just evidence of this. That being said, there will be some other moron who decides that following in his footsteps, to get Stoned on the beach in Bali will be a great idea, and try to buy some from an undercover Policeman.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
351p6replica
Banned

l say lock him upas soon as he gets here for the crap he has done an take the money an use it to build either a hospital or something or even better give it to us lmao that corby chick is doing hard time is she not for smuggleing drugs?, so wtf is the difference in age an amount in the drug sindicute? nothing at all drugs are drugs he broke the law. If he was in turkey he would be in for very like time an having a big dude named bertha making him his new toy or in another country hung or shot on the spot as soon as he was found guilty
Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Rewarded?

The family is facing massive legal costs in an attempt to get him home, I'm sure what's being offered is much the same as what they're having to spend to try and get him home.

He's a 14yr old kid, he (possibly) made a mistake. He doesn't deserve to sit in a cell with adults for the next 6(?) years for buying a bag of weed.

So he should be slapped on the wrist? told hes a norty boy? and made famous on tv?
Do you understand he BROKE the law...?
Learn to deal with the consequences of ones actions instead of making excuses for them.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He is a young kid, but he is also a pot head who thinks he is a gangster, making gagster symbols at the media recently.

I say let him have the full brunt of the law in a country where crime actually gets taken seriously.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
It just beggars belief....
Well if he goes inside he'll be more then bEggered by the time he comes out ( and the last 2 words can also be taken to ways.)
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

How about a $300k fine then.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
So he should be slapped on the wrist? told hes a norty boy? and made famous on tv?
Do you understand he BROKE the law...?
Learn to deal with the consequences of ones actions instead of making excuses for them.
There's a theory going around that there's 'dealers' that are relentless in trying to sell you drugs for the express purpose of having you busted.. if one of those stooges were inflicting their muscle on a 14yr old, perhaps he felt the lesser of two evils.. bought to make them go away?

Would I touch any drug in Bali? No chance.. but I'm not a 14yr old. Put it in perspective. If I was the boy's parents. I'd be selling my story to the highest bidder to offset the cost of trying to get him home. Crime isn't paying here.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hope he invests his $200k well. he'll be flipping burgers for the rest of his life if he's lucky
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #21
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Hope they throw the book at him.

As stated above, proceeds of crime......

Of course, since they've announced it before a verdict has been announced...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how stupid are the parents they took him there to get him away from the drugs ( to the capital of the world for drugs )

Sorry but the proceeds of this should be put into drug rehabs here in aus if he is going to be paid for it

our Gov has allot to answer for on this one. Would anyone of us would we get a call for the woman herself ?????

don't think so

if this is out of t&c please remove

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Spot on Jason...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
how stupid are the parents they took him there to get him away from the drugs ( to the capital of the world for drugs )

Sorry but the proceeds of this should be put into drug rehabs here in aus if he is going to be paid for it

our Gov has allot to answer for on this one. Would anyone of us would we get a call for the woman herself ?????

don't think so

if this is out of t&c please remove

Jason
Whats the Aussie government got to do with the money he is getting? Thats Ch9 who is paying for the story.

And yes if you were locked up OS, youd get a visit from the Aus embassy wherever youve been locked up. And even more so if the sentence was death, and more again if you were a teenager (<18).
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Rewarded?

Surely an Indonesian lawyer could be bartered down to 5 bucks an hour.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
nstg8a

i agree with the ones saying throw the book at him, make an example of him.

if you dumb enough to go to a different country, with a different culture, where drug crimes are treated very harshly then you deserve to rot in a balinese jain for the next few years.
going by the media footage hes treating it as a joke, and a way to gain notoriety. a few years in a bali cell will knock the wind out his sails.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Whats the Aussie government got to do with the money he is getting? Thats Ch9 who is paying for the story.

And yes if you were locked up OS, youd get a visit from the Aus embassy wherever youve been locked up. And even more so if the sentence was death, and more again if you were a teenager (<18).
proceeds of crime is the reason he shouldnt get it for 1

yes you would get a visit from the EMBASSY but would I get a call from Julia I don't think so

now getting back to the money side of things what was that guys name that was held by the US of A David Hicks I think it was could be wrong with the name there

he had a book etc and was on ch9 with his story that he was going to be paid good money for but the Gov stood in and with the law he couldnt get a cent due to being the proceeds of crime

what is the diff with this boy if he is found guilty then he should not be able to see a cent of the 200though that he is getting for his story

If he is found not guilty then he has done no crime and the money is o/k in my books

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
if he is found guilty then he should not be able to see a cent of the 200though that he is getting for his story

If he is found not guilty then he has done no crime and the money is o/k in my books

got it in one.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Australia have many of children locked up (and not in Juvenile detention) yet people go on about this moron as if he is a victim.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #30
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
proceeds of crime is the reason he shouldnt get it for 1

yes you would get a visit from the EMBASSY but would I get a call from Julia I don't think so

now getting back to the money side of things what was that guys name that was held by the US of A David Hicks I think it was could be wrong with the name there

he had a book etc and was on ch9 with his story that he was going to be paid good money for but the Gov stood in and with the law he couldnt get a cent due to being the proceeds of crime

what is the diff with this boy if he is found guilty then he should not be able to see a cent of the 200though that he is getting for his story

Rulings based on proceeds of crime havent had a chance to happen yet. Im assuming it will in the next week or so, however as yet he isnt guilty so they cant touch it, yet. If you were 14, and in jail in Indonesia, you probably would get a call from Julia, just like he did. I mean why not, she called him apparently. I hadnt heard he had though so thats a bit of a surprise.
Closed Thread