Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Stormman
aiting for that Lotto win

Default Mondeo and Eco Boost Who's ordered one?

Our work has ordered a Titanium Mondeo withe new (yummy) 2lt Ecoboost option. Sadly we have been told that this won't be available until some time in November. This is so dissapointing as we were originally told September.

Anyone else ordered the Ecoboost?

Old 27-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mondeo and Eco Boost Who's ordered one?

We ordered on in August and were told not untill Nov-Dec. Two weeks later we got a call to say our car was in Australia. We ordered a Titanium hatch in Midnight Sky with roof rails, alloy pedals, boot mat and ipod cable.
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

err roof rails on a hatch!!
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
We ordered on in August and were told not untill Nov-Dec. Two weeks later we got a call to say our car was in Australia. We ordered a Titanium hatch in Midnight Sky with roof rails, alloy pedals, boot mat and ipod cable.
Please let us know what it's like.
Old 29-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Yes roof rails on a hatch is a bit err, but needs must. We will be picking it up nexrt week all going well. Being a multiple Falcon owner, it will be interesting to see how she gos
Old 29-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes roof rails on a hatch is a bit err, but needs must. We will be picking it up nexrt week all going well. Being a multiple Falcon owner, it will be interesting to see how she gos
Wasn't having a go at you I was not aware you can have roof rails on a hatch,thought it was only available on the wagon

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Wasn't having a go at you I was not aware you can have roof rails on a hatch,thought it was only available on the wagon

apstar
No worries. Yeh Roof "rails" are only on the Wagon, there are optional dealer fit "cross" bars, which will be used to carry bikes for us. Cant wait to try out all the gadgets that Ford dont seem to have the money for to fit to the Falcon range.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well we picked up our Titanium EcoBoost Hatch on Wednesday. Its a june 2011 build in midnight sky. First impressions are of a solid feeling, well made car. This car is a replacement for a 2003 BA Futura sedan and joins a FG XR6, a LS Focus Zetec & a BF II XL ute. A few points of note for me include -

Ride/Driving - firm & well tied down, but not harsh. Compared to the Futura, it dosnt have that lush, loping highway comfort, but the Mondeo dosnt have that wallow over undulations of the BA. Compared to my FG XR6, the difference between these two for me is that the Mondeo seems to contain body movments over larger bumps better, but both ride in a simialr way. Brakes a little grabby but better than the BA's mushy pedal.

Gearbox - The powershift 6 speeder shifts quickly without too much of the low speed lurching that these gearboxs are known for. That said, I do prefer the all-round smoothness that a proper torque-converter auto has. The Powershift is most certainly tuned for economy, allways shifting to and holding higher gears. In sport, its there way around with lower gears held too long and lending to a lurchy feel. Sequential shifting isnt as smooth a the ZF either. The ZF in my XR is certainly a better gearbox. Better low speed smoothness as well as quicker and more intelegent kickdowns.

Ecoboost 2.0 engine - This is very refined, smooth and quite engine. Not much in the way of induction or or exhaust note untill quite high in the rev range. There is plenty of turbo woosh & wine. It dosnt have that roar of the BA however or the purr of the FG. Once the box has dropped a cog or two and it comes on boost, it powers along quite well. Not as much as I had hoped, but certainly not underdone like the older 2.3 engine or most of its competiors. Economy sitting at about 8.7 lt/100km at the momment. That is mostly highway, but not much better that my FG after highway work. It will get better after she free's up and am certainly not disappointed with the ecomomy.

Interior/Exterior -Well made, nice presentation and great step-up from the BA it replaces. HEAPS of things to play with. The Adaptive cruise is great and the lane assist is a bit of a giggle. Love the DLO's as well. Seat heaters are powerful!! Leg room is great. Seats firm and supportive, great comfort over distance. Amazing the things the Mondeo gets over the same price or dearer Falcon range. That said, I would say the smattering of buttons on the steering wheel is confusing and not as easy to use as the FG. The Falcon gets poo pooed about a lack of kit, but it makes it easier to use. Sound system more premium than the FG's.

None of these are complaints, just points of comparison between the older BA and the two current Ford offerings (MC Mondeo / FG Falcon). At the end of the day, the MC & FG have two differant characters. The Mondeo is more refined, better built with more tech but not as relaxed, effortless or charcterful in the way it acelerates. The Falcon is faster and more easy going (very australian in character then), just as spacious but throw together in five minutes in comparison.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks very much for your comments. I bought a MB diesel wagon during the run out period earlier this year, then was disappointed when Ford changed their mind about selling the Ecoboost here. But the drivetrain is good and I get about 6 l/100km on trips.

I haven't driven a Ford with the Powershift yet but had an interesting time driving a rental Passat diesel with the DSG box in the UK last year. It was exactly the same, changed up too early in standard mode and revved too high in sport. It was almost impossible to parallel park on a slope and it was jerky in stop-start traffic. But it went very well and was fun in sequential mode on back roads.

The Mondeo on standard suspension with 16" wheels rides very well, better than the FG. It's a great setup for NZ where the main roads are built cheaply and get wrecked by heavy trucks faster than they get repaired.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well we picked up our Titanium EcoBoost Hatch on Wednesday. Its a june 2011 build in midnight sky. First impressions are of a solid feeling, well made car. This car is a replacement for a 2003 BA Futura sedan and joins a FG XR6, a LS Focus Zetec & a BF II XL ute. A few points of note for me include -

Ride/Driving - firm & well tied down, but not harsh. Compared to the Futura, it dosnt have that lush, loping highway comfort, but the Mondeo dosnt have that wallow over undulations of the BA. Compared to my FG XR6, the difference between these two for me is that the Mondeo seems to contain body movments over larger bumps better, but both ride in a simialr way. Brakes a little grabby but better than the BA's mushy pedal.

Gearbox - The powershift 6 speeder shifts quickly without too much of the low speed lurching that these gearboxs are known for. That said, I do prefer the all-round smoothness that a proper torque-converter auto has. The Powershift is most certainly tuned for economy, allways shifting to and holding higher gears. In sport, its there way around with lower gears held too long and lending to a lurchy feel. Sequential shifting isnt as smooth a the ZF either. The ZF in my XR is certainly a better gearbox. Better low speed smoothness as well as quicker and more intelegent kickdowns.

Ecoboost 2.0 engine - This is very refined, smooth and quite engine. Not much in the way of induction or or exhaust note untill quite high in the rev range. There is plenty of turbo woosh & wine. It dosnt have that roar of the BA however or the purr of the FG. Once the box has dropped a cog or two and it comes on boost, it powers along quite well. Not as much as I had hoped, but certainly not underdone like the older 2.3 engine or most of its competiors. Economy sitting at about 8.7 lt/100km at the momment. That is mostly highway, but not much better that my FG after highway work. It will get better after she free's up and am certainly not disappointed with the ecomomy.

Interior/Exterior -Well made, nice presentation and great step-up from the BA it replaces. HEAPS of things to play with. The Adaptive cruise is great and the lane assist is a bit of a giggle. Love the DLO's as well. Seat heaters are powerful!! Leg room is great. Seats firm and supportive, great comfort over distance. Amazing the things the Mondeo gets over the same price or dearer Falcon range. That said, I would say the smattering of buttons on the steering wheel is confusing and not as easy to use as the FG. The Falcon gets poo pooed about a lack of kit, but it makes it easier to use. Sound system more premium than the FG's.

None of these are complaints, just points of comparison between the older BA and the two current Ford offerings (MC Mondeo / FG Falcon). At the end of the day, the MC & FG have two differant characters. The Mondeo is more refined, better built with more tech but not as relaxed, effortless or charcterful in the way it acelerates. The Falcon is faster and more easy going (very australian in character then), just as spacious but throw together in five minutes in comparison.
good comments and driving impression there mate, and good to hear comparison of the falc models and mondeo, i had a sit in a mondeo not too long ago, apart from a few extra`s it does have a bit more eye candy on the interior for sure, it looks a nice place to be, looking forward to how it goes with a few k`s up, enjoy your new limo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I am thinking of getting an Eco Boost in the FG but would like to know what is the longevity of this motor. What is the life of a Turbo and is it cost effective to fix. Does anyone know or could give me some idea on this?
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
beenee98
Starter Motor

Just got back from a long drive (800k's) with my stepdad who has owned a lot of straight 6 fords in his time. He couldn't believe how quick the ecoboost is and to use his words 'it really pushes you back in the seat, doesn't it'
beenee98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post