Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
krzysiek

Default Carbon Tax - No Debate - Just Proof That It Is Worthless - Take A Read

Here is some food for thought I received today...................

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better! If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.
Australians showed sense in resisting the govt pressure to agree to a carbon tax before the Copenhagen Conference - which seems years ago now.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.
Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of Bali, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your $1 light bulbs with $10 light bulbs ...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus “human-caused” climate change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention “Global Warming” any more, but just “Climate Change” - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

But hey, relax, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?

EDIT: Probably chose the wrong words in the title when I said "proof" as clearly it is NOT proof, but just a VIEW.

Last edited by krzysiek; 25-08-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 25-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Carbon Tax - No Debate - Just Proof That It Is Worthless - Take A Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better!
I stopped reading about here.

There is a valid debate to be had about pollution and carbon tax but that guy ....
Old 25-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
krzysiek

Default Re: Carbon Tax - No Debate - Just Proof That It Is Worthless - Take A Read

PS: Just an interesting read I found. Did not verify the figures.
Old 25-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I stopped reading about here.

There is a valid debate to be had about pollution and carbon tax but that guy ....
Not sure who the guy is, but I respect everyones opinion so I won't question it. This is more of an informative read (hopefully) but I guess it will probably end up getting locked because people love to debate!
Old 25-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

old as, thoroughly discredited load of twaddle, move along, nothing to see here
Old 25-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I don't like the carbon tax, in practise or in principle. However that "factoid" about volcanoes is completely baseless.

All I'd like for people to do is to stop reading blogs, watching shows and listening to politicians debating this stuff. Buy a subscription to a bunch of peer reviewed journals, read the data and then make up your mind.
Old 25-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Heard something like this before. And yeh its true a volcano can stuff all human effort to control something they cannot control.

In conclusion. Humans are stupid.
The govornments who think this **** up to get rich (or something beyond me), and the morons (for want of a better word) that beleive the **** they think up.

I can see definatly see humans advancing as a species. /sarcasm.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 25-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

closed in 3... 2... 1...
Old 25-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Heard something like this before. And yeh its true a volcano can stuff all human effort to control something they cannot control.

In conclusion. Humans are stupid.
The govornments who think this **** up to get rich (or something beyond me), and the morons (for want of a better word) that beleive the **** they think up.

I can see definatly see humans advancing as a species. /sarcasm.
/Agree

Not just on the part of the Carbon tax (I don't support it and I don't support the liar that imposed it) but just in general. It really is too bad that the Government's aren't really doing what they are meant to do.
Old 26-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was a uni student taking a couple of Ian Plimer's subjects a few years ago and loved his lectures on ancient hominid species, but he's not a climate scientist. He currently works as a mining geologist.

This regurgitated chain spam keeps being wheeled out with glee like it's exposing some global conspiracy, and no matter how often it's methodically debunked it still manages to come crawling back with all the finesse and aptitude of a mangy stray dog with both its hind legs shot off.
Old 26-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the US Geological Survey website:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011).
The published estimates of the global CO2 emission rate for all degassing subaerial (on land) and submarine volcanoes lie in a range from 0.13 gigaton to 0.44 gigaton per year (Gerlach, 1991; Varekamp et al., 1992; Allard, 1992; Sano and Williams, 1996; Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998). The preferred global estimates of the authors of these studies range from about 0.15 to 0.26 gigaton per year. The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates. It is 135 times larger than the highest preferred global volcanic CO2 estimate of 0.26 gigaton per year (Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998).

Of course, if you're into the whole government science global warming hoax conspiracy tax profiteering thing, then the USGS is complicit too and you can dismiss all of the above...
Old 26-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This would be the third time this e-mail has been put on here (the OP one)?
Old 26-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The world needs carbon to live...Humans dont emit enough to do any apparent damage and we wont be for a long time yet, if we get to that stage.

Govornments should be looking for a replacement for OIL since thats not going to be around forever, and when it goes, it'll be game over unless you grow your own food and have a supply of water. Am i not right?

But now i digress.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 26-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #14
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
The world needs carbon to live...Humans dont emit enough to do any apparent damage and we wont be for a long time yet, if we get to that stage.

Govornments should be looking for a replacement for OIL since thats not going to be around forever, and when it goes, it'll be game over unless you grow your own food and have a supply of water. Am i not right?

But now i digress.
Agree. Dependence on oil, if anything, will see the end of us - not some 'global warming' (which is BS BTW, the world is actually cooling slightly - it is just a normal part of heating-cooling cycle).

I think we should be trying to spend more funding on being free from oil dependence - but personally, I believe the technology either has existed (and has been patented and shelved) or could have existed if it was not for supression. There is a lot of money in oil, for some people, and they want to keep it that way. The way things are going now, we'll likely be dependent on oil till it literally runs out.

If anyone is interested, I can link you guys to another forum where a user turns waste plastic (throws it all into a big oil drum with a heating element inside) and turns it into usable diesel fuel. I think, if I am not mistaken, he says after the cost of plastic + electricity to get it to diesel, he is paying something crazy like a couple of cents per litre.

Slight inconvenience as the process isn't instantaneous... but hey... if you want to save some money, you can give it a try Not too sure if it can make petrol, though.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Closed.

We have had plenty of goes at this.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&highlight=tax

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread