Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

Are older but higher spec cars classy and cool to own or just embarrassing.

I'm talking about 10+ year old cars and assuming they are in good condition. Cars like mercedes or bmw or audi, porsche even.

Are these sorts of cars classy and cool or hasbeens and embarrassing to own and drive. People that are wannabes but can't afford the real thing (todays model and as such todays fashion).

The real deal people offload these cars as warranty has run out and they consider them no good anymore and need to get the new model to remain relevant.

I've seen a few people boast about owning a bmw or mercedes and when you go and have a look its about 10 years old or more

Instead of being a pretender paying upwards of $30k for such cars isn't it more suitable to wear a shoe that fits your foot and buy a brand new ford/holden/toyota or slightly used etc?

Or am I wrong and these people are cooler and more upmarket?

Old 25-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

Depends. Some older cars still look the part as well as being very safe. I was toying with buying a Jag XK8 coupe once, $180K car now around 40-50K.

Didn't in the end because I had to pay for a wedding as well as go from a house to a unit and it wouldn't fit in the garage with the other car. Bought a Fiat Coupe instead for 10K.

Anyway. Buying the car as you suggested is for people who perhaps wanted it, dreamed of owning it but could never afford one new. The only worry is repairs and running costs. As for the coolness factor?? Not too sure to be honest. Cool to the owner for sure, but to others?? Well a person who knows cars will know it's X years old, to the rest it's a nice looking prestige car.

Who knows... in 10 years I may very well have a Bently Continental in the garage.. I love the look of a big powerful prestige coupe but won't be buying one any time soon!
Old 25-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

I would love a BMW 635CSI but lack the room to park it.

Some old cars will always be cool (some never were!).
Old 25-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they are pretty cool, As long as you don't go around acting like you are rich because your car was worth 200K new. Even though you paid 30k for it.

I'd love an old BMW 840ci. It was over 200K new, but can be pick up for 20k these days.
Not sure about reliability. Apparently they cost massive amounts to repair.
Old 25-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I would love a BMW 635CSI but lack the room to park it.

Some old cars will always be cool (some never were!).
either that or the 850iL very nice
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 25-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

I don't think it matters, wgaf what other people think about your choice in cars.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 25-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Ibrox90
Banned

Really hulk.........really???

ok I'll bite, It's the same as anything else, it's a matter of opinion, I grew up in the UK, So I find Audi's, Merc, BMW's, porsche and even Aston Martins boring and some what common. Yet here in Australia they cost and arm and a leg and are notoriously expensive to own and fix.

and as EFFalcon said, Its your choice, For example I have a BA XR8 and some guy in his EL XR8 might want my car thinking his is crap. Without realising ID LOVE AN EL XR8.

Different people consider different things desirable, when everyone finds it desirable then you have Value.

For example everyone would love a coupe, I'd Like one but I i had to choose between an XC Coupe and a Triumph Dolomite Sprint I'd take the sprint because I think its cool.

Triumph dolly: $4000

Coupe: 20k +

all a matter of your preferance as to whats cool

When I had my Chrysler Sigma I thought it was a crap run around, only to get thumbs up from the Jap import crews

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Old 25-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
The real deal people offload these cars as warranty has run out and they consider them no good anymore and need to get the new model to remain relevant
And some people buy them new and keep them for 10 years because they like the car and there is nothing wrong with it.

As for your question, I'd say it depends on the car. Old Merc's just look dated, old 911's look 'classic'.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a guy tell me his BMW **** on my old 'stang, sight unseen. Well when we got out to the carpark he had this clapped out 80's 3 series. Needless to say it was good for a laugh.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Had a guy tell me his BMW **** on my old 'stang, sight unseen. Well when we got out to the carpark he had this clapped out 80's 3 series. Needless to say it was good for a laugh.
But until you saw it, it could have been an original model M3. Possibly even with a bit of "work" done on it.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
either that or the 850iL very nice
Damn right, looked awesome then, still look awesome now.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 25-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

friend of mine has a V12 Toyota Century. when you see it, you think Yakuza
Old 25-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
But until you saw it, it could have been an original model M3. Possibly even with a bit of "work" done on it.

He meant it attracted more attention as it was a luxury car. Even if he did mean performance, a modded 80's M3 would be hard pressed.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Completely personal choice. New is not always better.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Autolite

Hey HULK BA, I did exactly what you are saying.I purchased a 2000 CLK 320 because I have always loved this coupe and they still look good compared to todays cars. I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks. I could have purchased a number of newer cars but this is what I wanted. Does that make me pretentious or a laughing stock? Maybe the un-educated may think so.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I love the older shaped Audi A4's and A6's. (about 2004-2005 models) They still look dam nice to me even though they are older. I remember when I first saw them, I thought I could never afford one. Now that they are older, and hence getting cheaper, I am considering one hopefully next year.

In the end, I am tired of buying cars that my mates thought were cool. We all tend to fall towards peer pressure of the 'what other people think are cool cars' category, and end up buying something that others like rather than yourself.

It's only that I am older now, that I want to by something that I like and enjoy rather than what other's consider 'worthy' etc.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't mind a mid-late 90s 7 series BMW, 740/750IL.
Old 25-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm talking about 10+ year old cars and assuming they are in good condition. Cars like mercedes or bmw or audi, porsche even.

Are these sorts of cars classy and cool or hasbeens and embarrassing to own and drive. People that are wannabes but can't afford the real thing (todays model and as such todays fashion).

The real deal people offload these cars as warranty has run out and they consider them no good anymore and need to get the new model to remain relevant.

I've seen a few people boast about owning a bmw or mercedes and when you go and have a look its about 10 years old or more

Instead of being a pretender paying upwards of $30k for such cars isn't it more suitable to wear a shoe that fits your foot and buy a brand new ford/holden/toyota or slightly used etc?

Old Euros are cool , I own several of them in various stages of drivability and thats the rub , being very expensive when new doesn't mean they last any longer without maintenance , although the M3 when it's back on the road wll be a sleeper extreme
Old 25-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I wouldn't mind a mid-late 90s 7 series BMW, 740/750IL.

I love them. I was seriously considering buying one couple of months ago.

But it seams nearly all e38's have over 200,000kms on them which is a bit of a turn off for me.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Damn right, looked awesome then, still look awesome now.

Just checked the web...1990 odd 850iL can be had for around 25-30k these days...but boy expensive to fix when something goes wrong.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 25-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I love them. I was seriously considering buying one couple of months ago.

But it seams nearly all e38's have over 200,000kms on them which is a bit of a turn off for me.
The thing that turns me off big time is all the electrics, I'm an apprentice auto electrician, but damn, imagine something going wrong on that.

Circuits would be extremely complex, a metric assload of wires everywhere, eleventy billion sensors, 20 year old electrics etc.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
KPCresta
Starter Motor

HULK you cant judge a car just by its age. I recently purchased a 2000 model Lexus LS400. I got it for 22K and yes they retail for 150K.

Though I purchased it of the second owner who was a wealthy self-employed man and he had it since it was 4 years old. It is in exceptional condition both inside and out for its age.

It is also the smoothest and most luxurious car I have ever driven. At work we have a few upmarket company cars (VE Caprice / Statesman / FG G6E) and the ride quality and NVH levels are around the same.

For my price range of around 25K max I believe I made the right decision. As it is just essentially a re-badged Toyota reliability is second to none.

I would think twice about purchasing a 10 year old Audi / BMW / Mercedes though as parts are notoriously expensive and you wouldnt have much of a choice when it comes to choosing someone to service and repair them.

In around 3 years time I will decide to purchase either an FG F6 of FG GT. I love both cars. I predominantly am a fan of jap imports though I do have a soft spot for the 'Blue Oval'. The new 'coyote' GT is an absolute animal. Amazing how just a tune and cat back exhaust achieves easy 11 second 1/4's.

Old 25-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPCresta
Posts 1
Welcome to the forum KPCresta. Or should we call you KPcart?
Old 25-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #24
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

After seeing a BMW 8 series (in white! when walking home today, it looked as impressive as it did in the days when I was drooling over them as a seven year old. Despite being approximately 15 years old now, it certainly appeared much more impressive than your standard base 3 series.

To use an example related to Fords, take a look at the AU Fairlane, and compare that with the FG XR6. You may think differently, I know which vehicle I'd be more proud to own, and it'd be the one with the luxurious interior and hectare of rear seat room.

In my opinion, most older high end cars appear classier than their newer lower-end counterparts.

I realise that there are many that will disagree with me, usually those that aren't particularly into cars.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #25
RAPID_BA
Banned

I went to a party and there was a doctor who was chatting away sitting at a table. One guy noticed his mercedes keyring on the table and asked about his car. The guy said he also owned a mercedes and they would chat about their cars for a good hour. He thought he was on the same level as the doctor and above others at the party.

At the end of the night I saw the doctor get into a brand new mercedes and left, fantastic car. Then the other guy jumps into his big square mid 80s mercedes.

I seriously burst into laughter when I saw himm get in it. Talking like a big timer with the doctor. Maybe in 15 years time when the doctors car is 3-4 owners down the track he might pick it up. He thought he was king with his old mercedes.

Another time, my mate is a dealer principal and a guy was trying to trade in an early 90s mercedes. My mate wouldn't commit to a price and advised him politely to sell it privately. That guy was thinking around the 15-20k mark. My mate later told me he wouldn't pay $1000 for it.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id have a series 1,2 or 3 jag with a 350 chev, anyday of the week
Wouldnt cost a 1/3 of a new car
Dont care IF to some they look out dated
Old 25-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Just checked the web...1990 odd 850iL can be had for around 25-30k these days...but boy expensive to fix when something goes wrong.
In BMW's the L stands for long wheel base. The 850 is just an i.
The more you know.

I have seriously considered buying an 840ci/850i.
But as damo said the electrics are a big problem when they go wrong, and they will.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What can one say?
Seriously?
So your saying someone with an "upmarket" car older then 10yrs is lame?
Gee wizz im sorry we all cant afford to keep throwing our old mercedes away once the warranty runs out and get the latest model...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #29
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

At the end of the night I saw the doctor get into a brand new mercedes and left, fantastic car. Then the other guy jumps into his big square mid 80s mercedes.

I seriously burst into laughter when I saw himm get in it. Talking like a big timer with the doctor.
Same situation but the doctor gets into a new FG GT. The other guy jumps into a older XA GT. What your going to laugh at him too?

Seriously.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #30
fordnuttz

It can be quite clever as what you are doing is letting someone else pay for the depreciation (which is ridiculous) and then get to enjoy a $150 000 car for a third or less of the price. Seems smart to me unless they are notoriously unreliable