Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default When is the last time ford made a falcon lacking grunt?

With ford about to introduce an ecoboost falcon, i stopped and ask whether it will have the sort of grunt falcon buyers are accustomed with?

Every time ford has come to the table with a fuelmiser falcon its been hit for a home run by falcon buyers? Falcon buyers punish attempts to introduce a low grunt falcon (what about what happened to taurus when they tested the falcon equivalent)

The 3.2 Ea falcon? The 3.3 xf range? Since then ford has not delivered a falcon lacking grunt. Even the au turned up with strong performance from forte to ghia and t series.

Is this ecoboost falcon gonna be another 3.2 ea? What other falcon can you think of that lacked grunt?

Old 14-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only time will tell. But with the oil prices going the way they are and people becoming more environmentall conscious, I see this as a positive step towards maintaining the falcon nameplate.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
Old 14-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I dont think it will be a problem, the ecoboost is not being introduced in the Falcon range to provide masses of power. The I6 is still available for those wanting a grunty Falcon

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 14-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG I remember driving am S pack XF auto back when they were new & it was so damm gutless even with the basic fuel injection lol

Mind you I was used to a 351 Cleveland or a worked HQ GTS back then lol
Old 14-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
I dont think it will be a problem, the ecoboost is not being introduced in the Falcon range to provide masses of power. The I6 is still available for those wanting a grunty Falcon
Agreed.
Old 14-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Short answer, no - this is a world class engine, with loads of torque, but with fuel economy that Falcon has not seen in a long time.

Long answer - no. Ford got burned badly by the 3.2 EA. If they wanted to make that one fly, it needed MPFI, not CFI, and the 4 Speed Auto, which was delayed, and out of Ford's control. The EcoBoost engine carries the latest Ford Technology, with Direct Injection, Fast Scroll Turbos, Overboost, and a very powerful computer backing it all up, mated to the ZF box, which worked wonders for the I6 and V8 Falcons.

Ford Australia have worked very hard on this engine, and there will always be those that compare it to the Starfire engine that Holden used for the VC Commodore. Holden stuffed up pretty badly there. The EcoBoost Engine will not only offer I6 class torque, but across a wider rev range, thanks to the Turbo. It won't need to be flogged to perform the best, much like a Low Pressure Turbo that the Europeans use.

I've known about this project since about the same time that the Engine plant was saved. There were some worries that the i4T wouldn't perform adequately in the early days, however those fears have been negated, because the i4T, can keep up with the I6, yet use less fuel in the process. It won't be the failure that the Hybrid Camry is; because, unlike the Camry, it will actually be a desirable car - it is a Falcon after all, just with a smaller motor, which, with the help of technology, makes power where you can actually use it.

I don't remember people being worried that the new V8 is smaller than the old one...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 14-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Time will tell as real world fuel consumption will be the deciding factor, not grunt as such.

The problem with the 3.2 EA was that it used as much fuel as the 3.9cfi but without the extra performance, so the handful of people who ordered one found no gains at all.

Apart from that, im beginning to think your a closet AU lover as your posts always seem to include a mention of them.

The only other low performance falcons i can think of are the b-series onwards XR6's as they lacked any extra punch over the standard XT.
Every other XR6 had some form of gain.
Old 14-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Short answer, No. Paxton Explained it pretty well above. Ford have at least learnt ONE lesson over the years...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
The only other low performance falcons i can think of are the b-series onwards XR6's as they lacked any extra punch over the standard XT.
Every other XR6 had some form of gain.
Thats all an XR6 is these days, a sporty looking XT. No gains anywhere. Thats why they are so popular....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Apart from that, im beginning to think your a closet AU lover as your posts always seem to include a mention of them.
Yes, Name change to Hulk_AU?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
NickosBF2XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Short answer, no - this is a world class engine, with loads of torque, but with fuel economy that Falcon has not seen in a long time.

Long answer - no. Ford got burned badly by the 3.2 EA. If they wanted to make that one fly, it needed MPFI, not CFI, and the 4 Speed Auto, which was delayed, and out of Ford's control. The EcoBoost engine carries the latest Ford Technology, with Direct Injection, Fast Scroll Turbos, Overboost, and a very powerful computer backing it all up, mated to the ZF box, which worked wonders for the I6 and V8 Falcons.

Ford Australia have worked very hard on this engine, and there will always be those that compare it to the Starfire engine that Holden used for the VC Commodore. Holden stuffed up pretty badly there. The EcoBoost Engine will not only offer I6 class torque, but across a wider rev range, thanks to the Turbo. It won't need to be flogged to perform the best, much like a Low Pressure Turbo that the Europeans use.

I've known about this project since about the same time that the Engine plant was saved. There were some worries that the i4T wouldn't perform adequately in the early days, however those fears have been negated, because the i4T, can keep up with the I6, yet use less fuel in the process. It won't be the failure that the Hybrid Camry is; because, unlike the Camry, it will actually be a desirable car - it is a Falcon after all, just with a smaller motor, which, with the help of technology, makes power where you can actually use it.

I don't remember people being worried that the new V8 is smaller than the old one...
^^^^^ agree with this 100%
Old 14-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 3.3 litre (200 ci) in the XC would have to rate down there with the worst IMO.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 14-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Oriory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
OMG I remember driving am S pack XF auto back when they were new & it was so damm gutless even with the basic fuel injection lol

Mind you I was used to a 351 Cleveland or a worked HQ GTS back then lol
Interesting, I had a XF & recall it having plenty of grunt, all I did to the engine was extractors & 2.5 inch exhaust, it wasn't an auto though, sooo many memories attached to that car, mabey that is why.....
Old 14-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
sanchoXB

I had a 2004 XR8 Ute that had no grunt. Don't know if they are all like that or if I bought a lemon. It only had 55k on the clock when I bought it.
Old 14-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
MexicanBatman
Banned

The Eco boost will be aimed at getting the millions in lost fleet sales back, my uncle who works for woolworths has always had commodore company cars, now a VW diesel, why? He tells me economy is the main reason

Fleet government and rentals will be the main aim here and the hippies who reckon they will save a dollar or two over the brilliant 6
Old 14-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Is this ecoboost falcon gonna be another 3.2 ea? What other falcon can you think of that lacked grunt?
The 2.0 Ecoboost puts out 350 nm from 2000 all the way to 5000 rpm and in case you're wondering,
Holden's 3.0 SIDI is about 80 nm astern of the I-4 at 2000 and still 50nm behind at 4000 rpm.
The only advantage team red sees is when the SIDI is screaming its lungs out above 5,000 rpm...

All that good low end torque reminds me of an old friend we know but with far more efficiency...
Old 14-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
fairBA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriory
Interesting, I had a XF & recall it having plenty of grunt, all I did to the engine was extractors & 2.5 inch exhaust, it wasn't an auto though, sooo many memories attached to that car, mabey that is why.....
Issue I had with the XF was only thing that happened when you put your foot down was the radiator seem spin harder and made a lot more noise
Old 14-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have to say the poor old XF series

BUT

i had a black xf fitted with a worked black 351 auto on lpg. Number plate LPG 351
no power problems there
came up against a lot of s paks
3 inches lower plus 1.7 litres
bye bye

look 5 litres of posts
Old 14-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
The Eco boost will be aimed at getting the millions in lost fleet sales back, my uncle who works for woolworths has always had commodore company cars, now a VW diesel, why? He tells me economy is the main reason

Fleet government and rentals will be the main aim here and the hippies who reckon they will save a dollar or two over the brilliant 6
They all got told they had to get diesel's a couple of years ago. They were given a list of choices. My dad got a Mondeo.

Just went and found the list here from google.
Old 14-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think the ECOboost will be underpowered anyway.

What mum needs 200kw to ferry the kids around?
Old 14-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
With ford about to introduce an ecoboost falcon, i stopped and ask whether it will have the sort of grunt falcon buyers are accustomed with?

Every time ford has come to the table with a fuelmiser falcon its been hit for a home run by falcon buyers? Falcon buyers punish attempts to introduce a low grunt falcon (what about what happened to taurus when they tested the falcon equivalent)

The 3.2 Ea falcon? The 3.3 xf range? Since then ford has not delivered a falcon lacking grunt. Even the au turned up with strong performance from forte to ghia and t series.

Last time Ford made anything without grunt?

Well based on your average post the day they made any car you have ever owned but they always got back ito the swing immediately afterward.......
Old 14-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Are we talking about engine as a whole or a rev range...hehe.

You certainly cant say that anything over the past decade has been lacking. All this hysteria over the I4T is unfounded and based on bad experiences from the 1980's...not the automotive industries highest point thats for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

To true.

The Ecoboost V6 has been delivering some V8 equalling results and we have had many years of our own I6T delivering a true performance rival to the V8. Why is it so hard for some to fathom that 4T might be a worthy alternative to a NA6?

Watch in the future,every manufacturer will switch to smaller capacity motors with some form of FI, it is much more efficient in fuel consumption and maintains stricter pollution standards without loss of power.
Old 14-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II

Thats all an XR6 is these days, a sporty looking XT. No gains anywhere. Thats why they are so popular....

Yes, Name change to Hulk_AU?
Doesnt the ba xr6 have the diff gears over the xt?

Hulk_au has a good ring to it, i better go get me a au series 1 forte. I cant attack the au for its motors, thats one area they didnt look black n blue

I just dont think there is room enough for tje i6 and the i4t and some of us wanna see a coyote as well.

Are ford trying to do the camry/aurion thing? Same body but i4t and i6/v8
Old 14-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Oriory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Issue I had with the XF was only thing that happened when you put your foot down was the radiator seem spin harder and made a lot more noise
Nice
Old 14-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #24
Oriory

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
i would have to say the poor old XF series

BUT

i had a black xf fitted with a worked black 351 auto on lpg. Number plate LPG 351
no power problems there
came up against a lot of s paks
3 inches lower plus 1.7 litres
bye bye

look 5 litres of posts
Awesome, would loved tom have done that to mine back in the day, oh well.....
Old 14-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Actually I do remember the usual moaning about an engine that no one had sampled.

Same goes with the diesel terri and the I4T.
Old 14-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #26
Hally

Maybe taking the topic off track a little but here goes....

In terms of private buyers, I just can't see where the i4T will fit in? My understanding is that private buyers rarely purchase an XT (based on the fact that the XR6 is always discounted and great value for a private buyer). With this in mind I can't see private buyers stepping down to a i4T in a basic trim level (presuming Ford won't have an XR version with this motor). the i4T cannot be a significantly cheaper powerplant based on the technology it packs.

Will it then become a fleet special with 'green' credentials? Will the fact that the car will be turbocharge have negative impact because of P-Plate restrictions on certain cars, or will it be an exempted vehicle based on over power/weight ratio?

Am interested in everyones thoughts
Old 14-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Maybe taking the topic off track a little but here goes....

In terms of private buyers, I just can't see where the i4T will fit in? My understanding is that private buyers rarely purchase an XT (based on the fact that the XR6 is always discounted and great value for a private buyer). With this in mind I can't see private buyers stepping down to a i4T in a basic trim level (presuming Ford won't have an XR version with this motor). the i4T cannot be a significantly cheaper powerplant based on the technology it packs.

Will it then become a fleet special with 'green' credentials? Will the fact that the car will be turbocharge have negative impact because of P-Plate restrictions on certain cars, or will it be an exempted vehicle based on over power/weight ratio?

Am interested in everyones thoughts
95% of car buyers are aware that there is a thing called an engine in the car somewhere.

Why buy an I4T instead of a I6?

1) cheaper rego
2) better fuel economy
3) "green" touchy feelyness
4) perception of better resale due to above

Why did the XR6T outsell the XR8 by a huge margin when they hboth had about the same performance and up front cost (bearing in mind the majority of new car owners do not mod at all)?

The ecoboost is possibly the smartest thing Ford have done in the falcon since the I6T........
Old 14-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The ecoboost is possibly the smartest thing Ford have done in the falcon since the I6T........
The best way to instill a change in buyer perception is to throw out the rule book
and do something your competitor finds either too hard or too ridiculous to copy...
If fuel prices soars again, I know that an I-4 Turbo will survive much longer than a V8....
Old 14-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #29
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if fuel prices soar i will get a second job
Old 14-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ecoboost I4 Falcon will out accelerate any previous model I6 Falcon that had the 4speed auto, and get better economy at the same time.
Ill happily put money on it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Closed Thread