Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question QLD – legal placement of Sat Nav

I have heard this story now from a number of different sources. Apparently, a few weeks back, the Police were conducting a blitz on the Bruce Highway just north of Brisbane. The story goes that they were booking people who had the Sat Nav mounted on the windscreen, allergy for obstructing vision. Someone who was booked rang a local radio station to complain (or warn) and the story has since spread.

I have had a read of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 , and the closest that I can come is section 299. My reading of section 299 is that a Sat Nav falls under the category of “navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment” and does not apply. The legislation appears silent on mounting Sat Nav on windscreens.

Can anyone please shed some light on the Queensland rules for mounting Sat Nav?

======================

299 Television receivers and visual display units in motor vehicles

(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen—
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position;
or
(b) is likely to distract another driver.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) This section does not apply to the driver if
(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign; or
(b) the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver’s aid; or
Examples of driver’s aids—
• closed-circuit television security cameras
• dispatch system
navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment
• rearview screens
• ticket-issuing machines
• vehicle monitoring devices

whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I'm aware it has to be mounted so as not to interfere with your line of sight/vision of the road.
Mine sits on the dash face and top edge with a windscreen mount,long goose neck type from Dick Smith.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

STTF, for those born to late for Waffen SS......

I copped a serve from one of these heros for 102 in a 100 zone despite him being over 200m behind me on a motorcycle but I took the advice given to me by a friend who is local traffic.....shut up, look ashamed and don't give them any reason to persecute you....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have mine mounted on the windscreen,just above the clock on my GHIA. I think it would depend if the cop hadn't filled his ticket quota for the day.Whether you got booked or not??? No one would mount one on the windscreen just above the instrument panel????
Old 31-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
nstg8a

i have mine mounted in the bottom right hand corner, fits good there, and dosnt obscure much at all.

having said that, mine is an older navman, and is quite small, but some of the top end models are massive, and it wouldnt really matter where you put it its gonna cause a fair bit of obstruction.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen them mounted nearly in the drivers normal line of sight.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I copped a serve from one of these heros for 102 in a 100 zone despite him being over 200m behind me on a motorcycle but I took the advice given to me by a friend who is local traffic.....shut up, look ashamed and don't give them any reason to persecute you....

Waffen SS??? The Waffen SS was The armed unit of the SS. I think your thinking of the Gestapo the secret police??? But what does that even have to do with police legally enforcing laws in Australia?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fluffy dice from your mirror or those smelly things are also a no-no, but im yet to find the legislation about vision being obscured.... It all depends on what the person was doing at the time, if the person was speeding and being an **** when pulled over, the cop will just start handing out the tickets for any reason, im doubting that story he was simply pulled over because of his GPS, unless it was mounted directly in front of his head!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

102 in a 100 zone......

Sounds like he had a set on you or likely your vehicle, lucky you kept your cool.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Were they really getting people for having a GPS on the front windscreen, jesus christ.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
102 in a 100 zone......

Sounds like he had a set on you or likely your vehicle, lucky you kept your cool.
No they were just visitors but I was driving a "hoon car".

They were up here for an operation working with locals which is how I got the "advice" in the first place.

This is the same mob that charged someone with unlicensed driving in BA because they had an auto license and the BA automatic transmissions have a manual mode.
Same mob that pulled a car apart to find non existent radar detector because their stalcar was tripped by an automatic door sensor.
Same mod that booked dozens of people for speeding (80 in a 60 zone) on the D'Agular highway because the limit was 60 one way but 80 the other.
Same mob that set up radar on the Bruce off the end of the runway at Caboolture and tried to book someone at over 200.
Same mob that sat in traffic jams and booked motorcyclists for overtaking stationary vehicles in the same lane.

They have a history........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:

They were up here for an operation working with locals which is how I got the "advice" in the first place.

This is the same mob that charged someone with unlicensed driving in BA because they had an auto license and the BA automatic transmissions have a manual mode.
Same mob that pulled a car apart to find non existent radar detector because their stalcar was tripped by an automatic door sensor.
Same mod that booked dozens of people for speeding (80 in a 60 zone) on the D'Agular highway because the limit was 60 one way but 80 the other.
Same mob that set up radar on the Bruce off the end of the runway at Caboolture and tried to book someone at over 200.
Same mob that sat in traffic jams and booked motorcyclists for overtaking stationary vehicles in the same lane.

Do they have a future too?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

They are not a pleasant bunch to encounter at all..luckily they don't seem to trek down to the Gold Coast all too often.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh how quick it turned into another cop bashing thread.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I have mine mounted on the windscreen,just above the clock on my GHIA. I think it would depend if the cop hadn't filled his ticket quota for the day.Whether you got booked or not??? No one would mount one on the windscreen just above the instrument panel????
Exactly where I mount mine on the odd occasion I use one. Doesn't obscure any view and only look at it when I need to.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Highway

I have seen load of drivers with there sav nats planted right in the middle of the windscreen (standing up prowder then a honeymoons knob) where it does block vision and even as I drive past I can even see it plain as the other driver.. some I have seen have been right in the middle of the drivers view

If you can't drive down a Highway,motorway,freeway without your sat nav in front of your face or seeing your sat nav then really you shouldnt be on the road. And if it has to block your view in a way that it could become a problem when driving and block your vision of some poor family packed car your about to take out then you should be booked for it!!

Saying that if your sat nav is in a good spot where it does not block your vision then I cant see why they would book you for it.
Old 31-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I guess it comes under the same thing with aftermarket gauges. They may be still thinking of the old rule of "nothing above the top edge of the steering wheel"

It's best to take the attitude of ... "I am sorry officer, I was not aware of this".
If you appear apologetic and are looking a changing your ways. It should be fine.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's best to take the attitude of ... "I am sorry officer, I was not aware of this".
If you appear apologetic and are looking a changing your ways. It should be fine.
So WHERE THE F&^% AM I SUPPOSED TO STICK IT???
probably isn't the best idea then haha.

I have been into 9/10 (or so) of roadside RBT setups and they always have a quick check of the car when doing it (I am not a granny in an Aurion after all)
Never had a problem with my placement. (placed at bottom right hand of glass)
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

one fail about the Mio (Navman) is that now with the BA dash and the Widescreen, It doesn't fit therefore it has to go elsewhere.. Cops have looked at it sitting in the middle of the windscreen down the bottom, bottom right, bottom left (yes, i do use it.. sad, i know) and even just sitting there and they havent had a problem..
Old 31-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hahahhahahahaa.

My last Garmin was above the centre stack in the AU and in the Territory when needed ... and when pulled over for RBT's ... was never picked up.

My current Garmin sits in the corner next to the driver's right side mirror on the dash (mounted to the windscreen) ... and the same thing ... have never had a comment on it's placement there either. Even if the cops look over the ute with the dark tint. Actually there was no mention of it when i got pulled over for speeding a little while back. So I just leave it there.
Old 31-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
My current Garmin sits in the corner next to the driver's right side mirror on the dash (mounted to the windscreen) ... .
Yep, that is where my Garmin is.
Great little unit it is, although with the EL dash you could probably put on of the larger ones in the same spot.
But I am happy with my little Nuvi 265

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Old 31-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
Yep, that is where my Garmin is.
Great little unit it is, although with the EL dash you could probably put on of the larger ones in the same spot.
But I am happy with my little Nuvi 265

My old Streetpilot 2610 was a big unit ... but lasted me about 5-6 years till the touch screen eventually gave up .... so i replaced it was a Nuvi 265WT now ... nice little unit for the price ... miss a few items from the old unit ... but traffic is a nice upgrade and it has worked nicely when i have needed to reroute around appalling Sydney traffic during peak times. backroads FTW
Old 31-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #23
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Ahh the good 'ol street pilot. Took up 1/4 of the screen (well seemed like it haha)
It sat on the dash itself, and with the E-series dash slotted down quite nicely and lent up against the screen - I had double sided tape between them.
Got rid of it as the maps were ancient and the touch screen was rooted and went black in sunlight.

Dad had it for about 5 years and it was just about stuffed, but I managed to get another year out of it. Only way to do anything was to use the remote though.

*Nice work with 16,999 posts too *

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Last edited by Coyote mk3; 31-12-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 31-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

In the end ... I had to use the remote control to set routes ... hee hee hee ... the screen was playing up back then ... but in the end ... the screen just flickered about everywhere ... I couldn't set routes anymore after that.

I think i still have it at home though. Was told that fixing the screen on it would cost more than buying a new unit anyway.
Old 31-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I can't have a bonnet scoop on my ol skool car because it obstructs my vision of the road so why should some half wit have it placed on their windscreen?
I ride a motor bike and the last thing I want is to be hit by another half wit because their sat nav is big enough to block their vision enough not to see me.

There can be some common sense where these things are mounted and it's about time the police crack down on them.

after that, happy new year everybody

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #26
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I can't have a bonnet scoop on my ol skool car because it obstructs my vision of the road so why should some half wit have it placed on their windscreen?
I ride a motor bike and the last thing I want is to be hit by another half wit because their sat nav is big enough to block their vision enough not to see me.

There can be some common sense where these things are mounted and it's about time the police crack down on them.

after that, happy new year everybody
Out of curiosity? Where is it supposed to be mounted?

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Old 31-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #27
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

at least your eyes are on the road but in an DU LTD (AU) optioned with the in-dash GPS, your eyes are off the road when looking at it, therefore making portable units more safe

technically anyway

because a portable unit, you can still see the road but whereas with the DU LTD's setup in the CD/Tape area, its taking your eyes completely or nearly completely off the road
Old 31-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Same as the B-series with GPS.
Need to look down in the middle of the car to see it. Which is why I asked the question?

I have seen a few taxi's getting around with it stuck in front of the odometer but I like to see how many K's I have done as my Fuel gauge likes to tell me that I have done 400k's on half a tank haha.
Then drops away once it is past half and acts normally.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Old 31-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #29
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
Out of curiosity? Where is it supposed to be mounted?
any where that doesn't obscure the vision of the road

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #30
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

I am not saying that it doesn't obscure the vision. Because obviously it does slightly.
But I do not think it is to an unsafe degree (where I have mine)

Just went out then and took this crap pic at eye level I am 6 foot.

I believe people who have there GPS halfway up the windscreen at the side or in the middle should be warned then fined because it does create a large blind spot.

If you have to look away from the road to see the screen then I believe this creates more of a hazard then a having a small corner of the windscreen obscured

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH