Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
WMD351
Size it up

Default Guy Fawkes day

Why don't we celebrate it anymore? O.K. that's a rhetorical question, we can't have big bonfires or buy fireworks these days.
It was only just before my time but those two things sound like every little boys dreams come true. It also had a special significance to Aussie culture.
But anyway, I've heard some hilarious stories from friends and workmates today about houses nearly burnt down by accident and people scarred for life by firework mishaps, and was wondering if any forum members had some fond recollections or stories they'd be willing to share.

WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
bungarra

Too many nanny state restrictions by government ministers who probably had a few fireworks thrown at them when they were kids!!
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Why don't we celebrate it anymore? O.K. that's a rhetorical question, we can't have big bonfires or buy fireworks these days.
It was only just before my time but those two things sound like every little boys dreams come true. It also had a special significance to Aussie culture.
But anyway, I've heard some hilarious stories from friends and workmates today about houses nearly burnt down by accident and people scarred for life by firework mishaps, and was wondering if any forum members had some fond recollections or stories they'd be willing to share.
Fireworks + Kids = Trouble

More significant to UK culture than Australia though
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
WMD351
Size it up

I always thought it was a U.K. thing but I've been surprised today to find out a lot of people I spoke to used to celebrate it here.
Yes of course fireworks + kids = trouble, but fun loads of trouble I'll bet.
A quick google showed it was celebrated here for almost the opposite reason England had.
I had a couple of mates tell me their whole streets used to get involved, dragging wood over to an empty block for days in preparation.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Had more fun with what i learnt in high school chemistry. Would probably be arrested for urban terrorism these days. Especially the home made hydrogen balloons with a black powder fuse attached.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Great times though, I remember going to the different bon fires around the neighbourhood with all our crackers, also remember nearly going deaf from short wick penny bangers, burnt fingers from pre mentioned items, having sky rocket wars against mates on the other side of the road, lighting 10 shooters after aiming them at neighbours windows and watch as the first hit the window and the neighbour would come to the window only to nearly have a heart attack as the 2nd went of and then the third and so on ahh great times

ohhhhh, I can see why they are banned now.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I miss the days when one could purchase fireworks at the local milkbar. Those were the days.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Remember those days...penny bungers blowing up stuff (or trying to) and having bonfires - all harmless so it seemed at the time. Watched the skyrockets at night from our loungeroom as we were on a hill overlooking them. I remember the last bonfire we had was about 30 years ago now. There was also Empire day some years before that where they did the same thing, but that disappeared while I was still young.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Great times though, I remember going to the different bon fires around the neighbourhood with all our crackers, also remember nearly going deaf from short wick penny bangers, burnt fingers from pre mentioned items, having sky rocket wars against mates on the other side of the road, lighting 10 shooters after aiming them at neighbours windows and watch as the first hit the window and the neighbour would come to the window only to nearly have a heart attack as the 2nd went of and then the third and so on ahh great times
hehe, yeah that's the kind of thing I've been hearing.
I'm thinking of a resurrection of sorts, firecrackers might be out but I'm thinking of dragging out a 44 gallon drum for a hobo fire in the backyard and any excuse for a barbie is a good excuse in my books.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
trippa
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
Too many nanny state restrictions by government ministers who probably had a few fireworks thrown at them when they were kids!!
as a licensed pyro i wish this was the case..... but sadly its not nanny states its idiots, alcohol, and fireworks= a shocking and counter finger poducing combo

But hey one day people might understand fireworks = hurt, Guy Fawkes might be fun again
trippa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because too many kids were being stupid and blowing their fingers off.
We should ban that American carp, halloween too.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee

What American craap? Guy Fawkes is English.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

the official reason? public safety
the unofficial reason? the government is terrified that someone might remember the idea of the public taking action and try to blow thier local pollie into orbit!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Yeah that American Carp, so harmful to all the other fish around!!! And when he's around, the Australian Carp have no chance with the ladies. Damn American Carp, how'd he get a passport anyway, he's a fish!

And Halloween originated from Ireland didn't it, not America.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can remember as a young tacker haveing lots of fun with fireworks.... , one time i set off a rocket out of a milk bottle, exactly as the fuse was about to ignite the rocket the bottle fell over and it speared off down the street on the horizontal angle like superman on a mission, in a million to one shot....... it went straight under the doorway of a jewellers , fortuneatly the place did`nt burn to the ground .
anyone ever play commando with 10 penny bangers fused together (the big buggers) hmmm maybe its a story for another day .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I used to love Bonfire Night in the UK, and fireworks are so easily available. Saying that though they have cracked down with all the kids losing fingers and faces. Im surprised no body has bought up Bush Fires. I would have thought that would be a big concern here.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
What American craap? Guy Fawkes is English.
..... and Halloween is a Celtic festival.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
SVR73
Mr Polish

My parents fondly remember it back in the 50's and 60's in Gawler, SA
I got to experience some pretty good fun whilst in Boise, Idaho USA for three months during June, July and August

my american friends parents own a fireworks company so on Independance Day, we let off a tonne of them in the street. all sorts including light up floating hot air balloons that travel for miles and miles.
Finished it off by blowing up a barbie doll.

over there, at least on July 4th, its go nuts with fireworks all you want.

I'd say that you could still set off fireworks any day but maybe there are some restrictions unlike here.

If we could combine the best things about america and australia and make it a country- what a bloody awesome country it would be
Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Yep, we had a lot of fun when we were kids, but its not the same now.

I'm starting to think that it should also be banned in New Zealand, have a look at this vid, taken from outside our house last night. Not the best quality, but you get the idea.

SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remembering an event where the government was so corrupt, incompetent and out of touch with needs of society that someone actually took action against them.......

I just can't imagine why it was banned.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
WMD351
Size it up

Thanks EASYBOSS, that's exactly the picture I had in mind. hehehe
Yes I know, it's always fun until someone gets hurt. (but so very much fun )
Why aren't we allowed to have fun anymore? Oh well.
And yes flappist, no one willing to to question authority or stand up to the man does seem very un-Australian (to me at least), but I guess that's just the way we've been raised. Poor old Ned Kelly would be turning in his grave (if only we could find it and check).
Thanks for sharing guys.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #23
bungarra

Explosive products, sorts the men from the boys!! You can still by them 1 day of the year in Darwin. Unfortunately they don't ship to WA....bugger! Back to the shed to make black powder and hydrogen.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Who are you calling a Troll?
Old 14-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who are you calling a Troll?
Well in that Halloween is Celtic and Guy Fawkes is English troll is is not an accurate term for an ignorant bigoted politically correct nanny so he should withdraw it.
Old 14-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well in that Halloween is Celtic and Guy Fawkes is English troll is is not an accurate term for an ignorant bigoted politically correct nanny so he should withdraw it.
But its the Americans that go around tricking and treating, and as usual our kids have to follow in their footsteps, the teens see it as n excuse to throw eggs and flour bombs. Why do we allow ourselves to adopt practices from other countries?
Old 15-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #27
KYSBF

Having spent part of my childhood in NZ I have some very fond memories of Guy Fawkes night, crackers, bonfires and as alluded to earlier it was a real community thing. The missus and I were lucky enough to be in NZ for this years, we got some rockets and asst fireworks and let them off at the motel we were staying at. Great time had by all. Funny though, the crackers don't seem as powerful as they did all those years ago.....probably a good thing!!
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But its the Americans that go around tricking and treating, and as usual our kids have to follow in their footsteps, the teens see it as n excuse to throw eggs and flour bombs. Why do we allow ourselves to adopt practices from other countries?
What you mean practices like driving bloody big V8 engined cars like Americans?
Or the practice of having holidays at Christmas with Santa and Easter with chocolate?
Or the concept of the "weekend"?
Or kicking footballs or hitting golf balls?

Are these foreign practices also to be disgarded?