Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default NSW Police numbers to be cut

Heard on the news this morning the cash stapped NSW govt is going to axe many senior police positions and reduce the number of new recruits to save money. Well thats ok if there is less crime but there's no proof that is the case with the number of robberies, shootings and drive bys being done at the moment.
We are able to afford to pay a contractor to operate new speed camera cars with another 40 to be put into service soon but we can not afford to have real police tackling real crime......... If we had these money making cameras operated by police they could perform other roles in policing as should be the case when an emergency arises... but no the cameras cars and operators will only be able to photograph the shooters as they drive bye waving at the car.
I feel sorry for the officers in the force they for the most part do a great job but their bosses the government are constantly stabbing them in the back. When you really need the police response times will have to increase with these cuts giving the offenders the upper hand once again knowing they have more time before help arrives.
Congratulations NSW govt on looking after the public safety after all the only way you will die or be hurt in NSW is speeding.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Bad news. I have a lot of time for the Boys (and Girls) in Blue, and can't help but think this spin about improving frontline services is bullshˇt.

As I said in the NSW speed cameras thread, Bring on March.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
We are able to afford to pay a contractor to operate new speed camera cars with another 40 to be put into service soon but we can not afford to have real police tackling real crime.....
Speed cameras pay for themselves tenfold.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What wonderful news.... makes you wonder how serious a government can be about crime when it starts to cut back on Police.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The NSW government is pathetic we all know it, how many thread need to prove it though.

Stuff the 40 new cameras they are getting, they could hire 40 more cops instead... but sorry police stopping robberies doesn't make the government money, so why should the government care.

Guess the government doesn't know police can issue traffic fines.. speeding fines as well as other ones too. I bet the government doesn't even know that there are fines for other traffic rules apart from speeding.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Apparently they have asked KPMG to look into cutting 10% costs. Not quite what is being claimed, at least not yet.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...minister-daley
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Apparently they have asked KPMG to look into cutting 10% costs. Not quite what is being claimed, at least not yet.
I have an idea... why not cut the pays of those in Government by 10%, and slash the retirement benefits by 30-40%?

Then maybe the Government could afford to add to the force...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
I have an idea... why not cut the pays of those in Government by 10%, and slash the retirement benefits by 30-40%?

Then maybe the Government could afford to add to the force...
Go for it, couldnt happen to an nicer bunch of people. That wasnt the point. It is simply an investigation to see where costs could be cut. The problem is the government will likely follow through with the recommendations, but that is not what is happeneing now. Im not defending cutting the force, merely clarifying the misquote. The article states the NSW force has double the number of senior officers of Victoria. So maybe the NSW force is a bit top heavy, and needs more on the street, less in offices at higher pay. Im not sayig it is, but I welcome reports that can answer the question. And the following debate by officers and experts who will clarify the issues raised. Maybe some comparissons with other forces, maybe Vic has too few.

The point, the title is wrong for the moment. Apparently they are looking to restructure the numbers, not cut them.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Sorry I should have said force on the streets!

Maybe there are too many desk jockeys, but I can't help but worry about them pulling the guys doing the dirty work. No matter what the government says it will or won't do...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Sorry I should have said force on the streets!

Maybe there are too many desk jockeys, but I can't help but worry about them pulling the guys doing the dirty work. No matter what the government says it will or won't do...
Thats the benefit of public debate. Hopefully a few members can come in and filter the mud from the water so to speak. For mine, desk jockeys probably play a vital role in the force, someone has to keep the paper work, follow up whatever it is they do. Im just unsure whether NSW has too many, or if thats going to help anything anyway.

I dont fear reports, they answer questions, raise others, and create debate which can be informative. Problem is, people use this type of news report as the definitive answer, I was hoping to at least keep it honest.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

ID10T Gummint Beancounter 1: "So how do we reduce the police budget?"
ID10T Gummint Beancounter 2: "I know....reduce police numbers...they're responsible for crime anyway arent they? Everyone always blames the police for crimes they commit"
ID10T Gummint Beancounter 1: "So, reducing police numbers....would reduce crime? BRILLIANT!...let's do it"

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Since when ever has the government been out to serve its people? Its the other way around unfortunately, my English teacher once told me, "The answer to all questions is money" and the more you see things in life, the more this is becoming true.

Its all disguised under various banners.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Heard on the news this morning the cash stapped NSW govt is going to axe many senior police positions and reduce the number of new recruits to save money. Well thats ok if there is less crime but there's no proof that is the case with the number of robberies, shootings and drive bys being done at the moment.
We are able to afford to pay a contractor to operate new speed camera cars with another 40 to be put into service soon but we can not afford to have real police tackling real crime......... If we had these money making cameras operated by police they could perform other roles in policing as should be the case when an emergency arises... but no the cameras cars and operators will only be able to photograph the shooters as they drive bye waving at the car.
I feel sorry for the officers in the force they for the most part do a great job but their bosses the government are constantly stabbing them in the back. When you really need the police response times will have to increase with these cuts giving the offenders the upper hand once again knowing they have more time before help arrives.
Congratulations NSW govt on looking after the public safety after all the only way you will die or be hurt in NSW is speeding.

this is horrible news . i hope thier union supports them and public action backs them up . when hard times come and finance hardship happens , as i think we are starting to see , even though the economy is boiling, i dont know where its benifitting the people ,
anyhow when hardship comes , thats when crime increases , and thats when we need more police , i think the superiors have started seeing the force as not making a PROFIT . That seems to be the aussie way of late .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
platinumXR

Probie: “So Sarge, where does all the money go from the fines we give out?”
Sarge: “To our illustrious Gummint, it goes to pay for things like sunshine, politicians private cars, politician allocated fleet cars, politicians 18% biennial pay increases, politicians lifetime superannuation and support funding, housing illegal refugees, overseas trips to important meetings, rail systems they don’t exist and much needed cycle lanes in the CBD that no one uses…y’know…important stuff”
Probie: “So…does any of it filter back to us?”
Sarge: “hahahahahahahahahahaha”

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Amature
Starter Motor

Hi, sorry for interupting this topic but being a newbie. I couldn't find a general chat thread. A bit overwhelmed with the layout at this point still looking through the forums. Hi to all though. I figured the *Pub* would be a good place to start!

:-)
Amature is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
Amature
Starter Motor

But adding to this actual thread. It doesn't seem to be good practise to cull your team of its experienced team members due to a recent shortfall in cashflow. It would seem more prudent to look after existing team members, while the financial crisis has a turnaround into the future. I don't think the figures are accurately reflecting what current issues exist within highrisk roles, such as emergency services, where sick leave is part and parcel of the territory. So, basically, a team of 6 may well be a team of 3 on the floor actually working. The follow on affect is more stress related issues for the team of 3 and a high risk of further work related illnesses.
Amature is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

They are cutting the coppers back as they are outsourcing 80% of their tasks due to the private mobile $peed camera$. What's a copper to do now? You don't need to go to police academy to sit in a car with a bag of donuts and operate a radar.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
bungarra

WA Politicians are looking at similar proposal. They plan to cut traffic officers by 30% and rely on speed cameras. When I spoke to a pollie I know, he said traffic cops have to much discretion when it came to issuing fines, cameras don't ask questions!! I asked if 30% less traffic ops would decrease road safety, his comment was its all about revenue, road safety is the excuse.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its the problem thats plagued this country for years, too many chiefs........not enough indians
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Business is business. Although this comes as a surprise as they haven't chosen to tax us more. Or will they do that anyway?

Less cops means more freedom. Isn't that what people have been wanting?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Although I personally have nothing against speed cameras and them being operated by contractors, that feeling is under the proviso that it does not decrease the number of operational police officers that are able to enforce all other aspects of both criminal and traffic law.

It seems in NSW and some other states, the introduction of speed cameras and the subsequent move to them being operated by contractors is resulting in a reduction in the number of police officers out on our streets.

In all honesty, we could talk about it until we are blue in the face, it will do no good. The only way to have any effect is for each person to write a short but well worded (i.e no abuse) letter to their local member and also their premier. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put forward your opinion as well as stating that you do consider this as an election issue in the next election. When their mail boxes are being bombarded in letters, they will take note.

Its not hard to get large numbers of letters going, every one here spends an hour or two writing it (no form letters, they mean less) and there are 55,000 letters to various politicians. Many of us are members of multiple automotive forums and if we were to spread the word there, 100,000's of letters could easily be the result. Spread the word through facebook and twitter etc and the response could be in the millions. The internet is a powerful thing.

Remember, they may be in control of the state or the nation, but it is the people of that state that they work for.

I know the whole concept sounds like a bit of a pipe dream but if we all spent a 1/4 of the time we spend whining about it, writing a letter a letter instead, we would see a much bigger response.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Although I personally have nothing against speed cameras and them being operated by contractors, that feeling is under the proviso that it does not decrease the number of operational police officers that are able to enforce all other aspects of both criminal and traffic law.

It seems in NSW and some other states, the introduction of speed cameras and the subsequent move to them being operated by contractors is resulting in a reduction in the number of police officers out on our streets.

In all honesty, we could talk about it until we are blue in the face, it will do no good. The only way to have any effect is for each person to write a short but well worded (i.e no abuse) letter to their local member and also their premier. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put forward your opinion as well as stating that you do consider this as an election issue in the next election. When their mail boxes are being bombarded in letters, they will take note.

Its not hard to get large numbers of letters going, every one here spends an hour or two writing it (no form letters, they mean less) and there are 55,000 letters to various politicians. Many of us are members of multiple automotive forums and if we were to spread the word there, 100,000's of letters could easily be the result. Spread the word through facebook and twitter etc and the response could be in the millions. The internet is a powerful thing.

Remember, they may be in control of the state or the nation, but it is the people of that state that they work for.

I know the whole concept sounds like a bit of a pipe dream but if we all spent a 1/4 of the time we spend whining about it, writing a letter a letter instead, we would see a much bigger response.
You can write all the letters you want; but I doubt it would make a difference at all.

Essential Services are always, ALWAYS the last to receive funds. They are resilient and able to work with what they have because they have to otherwise lives get put at risk; and Gummints prey on this to their advantage.

Like it or not; the police are there to help the community and do the right thing and potentially save lives - but they do so at great risk to their own health as well. As do Ambo's, Firies, SES et. al. Gummints prey on this and respective Management's become creative and "work with what they got" too well. But if they don't...the ramifications are too great.

These idiotic speed cameras are nothing more than cash cows and police themselves know this. Officially they will tell you they are an essential tool in the arsenal to reduce the number of fatalities through speed enforcement...blah...blah...blah....black spots....blah...blah...blah...nothing beats high visibility.

Like others I could go on all day but there is no point, this topic has been covered ad nauseum...

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
gtfpv
GT

writing letters does nothing . i agree . only action in numbers gets things done . something we now miss in this country .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
... as well as stating that you do consider this as an election issue in the next election. When their mail boxes are being bombarded in letters, they will take note.
The only thing that would change, is the name of the revenue source. They need the money, simple. They will just hike some other tax, or further cut services. So lets say you suceed, cameras go, you can bet water or some other necessity will be taxed higher to make up the shortfall, or they will cut ambo staff for example.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The police are only there now to protect speed camera's.. Lol...
Oh and issue warrants for non payment, loss of license...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think a few may have missed some of my points. Yes writing letters in small numbers would make no difference, it is numbers that cause the voice to be heard.

Also I am not suggesting they get rid of the cameras, that will never happen. I am suggesting that the people make it heard they will not accept police numbers be cut, while populations grow and the government make profit of cameras.

Personally, I would have thought after all the threads where people have jumped up and down on here complaining about the revenue raising of cameras in any thread where it is even remotely related, a massive number of letters would have been flying. Perhaps the vocal ones are not really that keen on trying to get any change.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #27
fg_nitro

Why do they need to cut police/emergency services?

They should be cutting pay and benefits to the political trolls. Not the guys on the ground.

The illegal speed camera vans and dodgy back room deal with that company need to be investigated. ICAC anyone?

Quote:

NSW Treasurer Eric Roozendaal says the state had a budget surplus of $934 million last financial year.
The result is an almost $2 billion improvement over the official estimate in June last year of a $990 million deficit for the 12 months to June this year.

Mr Roozendaal says the turnaround is the result of stronger-than-expected economic activity in the aftermath of the global financial crisis.

"This is a strong result and again highlights the sustained recovery of the NSW economy out of the global downturn, especially the strong recovery of the NSW housing sector," he said.

"However, it also shows the volatility of the state's revenue base, especially stamp duties and our GST share."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...#ixzz14jSYTym9
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post