Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default My mate just bought a new ssv??? Didnt even drive the gs

Hi,

A good mate of mine just bought a holden ssv, with absolutely no regard for the gs fpv? Bought it over the weekend, brand spankin new.

Surely brand loyalty doesnt prevent people from being reasonable?

Surely even ford fanatics would at least test drive whats on offer from holden/hsv? No doubt he bought a nice car but he absolutely laughed off my talk of this supercharged 5.0 from fpv

Holden must have the best new car salespeople at the moment to make people still buy their v8.... Maybe they head hunted all the old ford salesmen who were able to move the old 5.4s?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

He chose the SS, like he/anyone is going to buy a car that doesnt make him happy and if the SS makes him happy then so be it. Dont see the issue.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

Surely brand loyalty doesnt prevent people from being reasonable??

Yes it most certainly does, your mate is not the first to cut off his nose... and certainly won't be the last.

Quote:

Surely even ford fanatics would at least test drive whats on offer from holden/hsv? No doubt he bought a nice car but he absolutely laughed off my talk of this supercharged 5.0 from fpv?
Lots and lots of Ford fanboys have brought FPV/ XR8's without driving the equivilant from Holden. Hahahaha, if they had, they may not have handed their money to the blue team...

One eyed attitude is alive and well on both sided of the fence.

Quote:
Holden must have the best new car salespeople at the moment to make people still buy their v8.... Maybe they head hunted all the old ford salesmen who were able to move the old 5.4s?
No, they have very aggressive marketing campaingns, and very aggressive pricing strategy.

The Boss engine had it's good points, as well as it's weaknesses. While it may not have been the 'best' product available throughout the entire life cycle, it was competitive, and remember not everyone that buys a V8 cares if the car next to them might be able to 'win a race to 100 clicks by a single car length

Your mate is by no means going to be alone, happiness / satisfaction is a personal choice afterall, regardless of what anyones else thinks of the decision making process.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I think you will find the SSV at the moment is on perminant clearance sale and the GS will be at full price plus some cream for a while.

SSV besides the motor is still better equipt than a GS, so as Tex said if he doesn't give a toss about getting beaten by a car lengh to 100km/h he will have got the best car for his money i guess.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My neighbour buys HSV's and refuses to even go test drive a Falcon.. He hates them, thats his choice tho, if no one bought Holdens we wouldnt have Falcons!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
xr62nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Without fail he is always replying to members audio queries (often answering the same questions multiple times) and his experience comes from working as an audio installer 

i bought my xr6 and the only thing i test drove was other xr6's. Then I bought my xr8 when i could and the only thing i test drove was other xr8's and 6 turbos.

I was never going to consider a holden so didnt bother wasting peoples time and test driving them.

Holden may be better, out perform the ford equivilent or might not, but either way i like my fords, so was going to stick with the brand i liked best.

your mate simply bought from his prefered manufacturer and what seemed the value/affordable model for him. Nothing wrong with that, i and most ford owners probably all done the same thing.

Some people test drive both some dont, depends on the person.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

When purchasing my FG F6 I was going to test drive the competition and even booked in a test drive of a Club Sport but the salesman took the day off and no one else wanted to assist me. But I must be honest, unless it blew the pants of the equivilant Ford I would not buy a Holden over a Ford.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
DBL15
love being blown

Quote:
Hi,

mate whats a holden car yard never ever been in one or wanted to go into one

yeh they make cars the same as fords maybe better but who cares you either blue blood or not IMO even if holden are better or have been better i have still ended up in a Ford , even when Ford we not doing the V8 back in the 90's i was in a straight 6 even though i wanted and was waiting for the V8 to come out
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
dennyjohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I think you will find the SSV at the moment is on perminant clearance sale and the GS will be at full price plus some cream for a while.

SSV besides the motor is still better equipt than a GS, so as Tex said if he doesn't give a toss about getting beaten by a car lengh to 100km/h he will have got the best car for his money i guess.

I agree with FPV8U, I just brought a 5.4 FG GT for well under $55k because it was value for money, and we are only talking about tenths of seconds between all models holden and Ford. I couldnt justify spending $80k on a new supercharged GT just for the performance alone as both cars are pretty much the same inside and out.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to say im Ford through and through, last Holden i test drove was the VY, and only because i was pressured into it.

When buying my next car ill probably test XR6T, XR8(coyote), GS, GT and maybe a phoon. Partly for enjoyment reasons, but also curious of subtle differences.

Bottom line: Wont go outside Ford, because its not a consideration for me.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Scott

Out of Ford/FPV or Holden/HSV, I have simply never walked into a Holden/HSV yard to buy or test drive a car.

I am blue, red is bad. Any color in between is blue also.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'd never bother test driving a new Holden, I didn't want one when they were faster, I really don't wont one now they are slower.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

i reckon 90% of people are either ford or holden and stick with the one brand,i'll never own a holden
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
prasac
Banned

i know alot of people who have Ford weekend/drag cars but drive a Holden/Toyota etc during the week. it amazes me that some people don't wait, might be more a timing and $'s issue with most. get a good bargain on something u don't really care but ultimately u start kicking urself later, everyone make bad rash decisions, for instance i bought a Toyota Aurion even tho i grew up a Ford man
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

When I bought my old XR6(2nd hand mind you) I test drove holdens, despite being a ford boy through and through. I just had to know why they where so hyped? The dealer kept trying to get me to buy a Holden VY SV6, vs my XR6, I kept telling him that the xr was a far superior car but he was adamant the sv6 was better. I made the right choice but was glad to test both brands before handing over 25k. I'd do the same if I had 80k to buy a GT/GTS or 500k to buy a house or a block, I'd test both first then make an informed decision. If I drove a GTS and decided(somehow) it was superior, it would probably get the nod. That's unlikely however!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
A good mate of mine just bought a holden ssv, with absolutely no regard for the gs fpv? Bought it over the weekend, brand spankin new.
You need to get a new good mate.

I'm on my 6th Falcon and never drive the equivalent Commodore model when time comes to chose a new lease car. Not interested. As long as the new Falcon is better than the old one I am happy.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #17
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Blue blood here too. Never look at the Holdens. I dont care if some models were better or not.
Besides I would have to park a Holden around the corner where my mum does when she visits ;)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi,

Surely even ford fanatics would at least test drive whats on offer from holden/hsv? No doubt he bought a nice car but he absolutely laughed off my talk of this supercharged 5.0 from fpv

I bought a Falcon without even one thought for a Commodore.. At the end of the day, both cars are very very very very similar (yes they really are!!) & it is brand loyalty driving allot of sales these days.. Also, there is more to a car than just the engine, personally I prefer the looks of a HSV over the FPV (& I'm a Ford fan)..

People keep trying to tell me motorsports does not sell cars these days anymore, but I don’t believe that. There are allot of Ford & Holden fans that are brand loyalty because of motorsports
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Lots and lots of Ford fanboys have brought FPV/ XR8's without driving the equivilant from Holden. Hahahaha, if they had, they may not have handed their money to the blue team...

One eyed attitude is alive and well on both sided of the fence.

Yep and I'm one of them. Testdriving the equivalent Holden (which I think at the time was a VZ Clubsport) was so far from the forefront of my mind when I bought my GT
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Seriously?! Though I suspect you added that in to be controversial.

HSV and FPV strike up a deal and swap plants, FPV now pumps out E3's with an FPV badge and HSV pumps out blown 5L FG's with an HSV badge, guarantee there would be a good wad of people on both here and LS1.com that would follow the badge.

I work hard for my money so I'll park my bum in the car that I feel gives me the best value for my money at the time. I have a bias towards Ford, but that's all it is.. a bias. My last car was a E1 Clubby. My current is a BF Ghia while I wait a year or two to see how the blown 5L measures up.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always been more of a Holden than Ford fan growing up when Brockie was at the peak of his powers. I do however love my X series coupes and have done so for over 25 years.

I bought a very low klm VE SV6 as a family hack about 4 years ago for low $30k. It has been a terrific car and was good value for money. With power output of 195kw, good looks and ample room for the family. It has never let me down or given me any problems (although the auto box is a dog noisy, weird shifts etc).

It is now time to replace and the coyote GT/GTE/GTP is the leading contender.

This time around it is not so much a value for money proposition (I'd keep the VE if that was the case) but time to spoil myself. I've probably been brainswashed because I spend so much time on this Forum !
Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Moved to the pub; more to do with an individual's brand loyalty than anything else.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

GS has nothing in it. SSV has somewhat higher standard spec. As someone already pointed out, 0-100 isnt everything.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
glavas

only ever buy commodores i dont ever consider ford because im stuck in my ways i like holden so thats all im going to buy. still can not get over why ford canned there v8 so im still angry about that. plus i love the thought of a 6.2l. i would only buy a falcon if the commodore died.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last time I went to test drive a HSV (a new GTS Coupe) they annoyed me so much that even if I had decided to buy it I would have bought it somewhere else.

Since then the only cars I have test driven were a datto, A4, 335i, TRD, RX8 & MX5.

I have NEVER test driven a FPV before buying one although I have driven a few just for fun and have no interest in test driving any current HSV even if FPV went out of business tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:

NOT a chance, i would not even walk into a GM dealership, let alone consider buying one of those monstrosities from GM... If they bought back the kingswood maybe...but never a commodore, no matter how fast or good they are, i can never ever drive one of these..We used a few commodores for fleet cars to test ( we are a Ford fleet ) and we gave them back , no one liked them compared to the G6 and XR's..I found it horrible to look at and drive..There is not 1 GMH product i would consider buying with my own money...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Why wouldn't you test drive the opposition?, atleast you get to make an informed decision as to the strengths and weaknesses of both vehicles.

Back in 96 my Brother recieved an invite to the VSII HSV model release at the Holden dealer at Liverpool, we test drove a VS Senator and GTS.
The Senator got the nod.
So were sitting in the salesmans office, he's writing up a contract when i turn to my Brother and say...'Shouldnt we see what Ford have on offer before you fork out half the value of your house?'
If looks could kill i'd be dead and with that we were off to the Ford dealer in Campbelltown near where we lived.
Test drove a few XR's but his wife at the time spotted a Concorde and that was it, she had to have one.
Half an hour later after a spirited test drive of the Dealer Principles LTD the deal was done, and they were happy as larry.

Now no ones kidding themselves, both the Senator and the GTS would have wiped the floor with the 5.0 Fairlane, but after weighing up what they felt better in the Fairlane won.
I did mention the VS Grange to them, but they thought its size was too similar to the Commodore.

Last edited by BENT_8; 02-11-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought my xr8 without testing the equivalent holden, though i feel i should have. still the local holden dealer switched to Toyota only, so most people in this town wanting a 4 door sedan have bought falcons (ford town!!).
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Cannot see the problem either ........ I have never test driven a Holden ....... driven a few but would have no intention of buying one so wont bother. In fact I haven't test driven a car for the purpose of buying for ages! Only for fun ..... test drove a G6ET because I could but intended to buy the G6E anyway. Rang the dealer to find a Narooma Blue BAXR6 and I hadn't driven one. Bought cars on Ebay without seeing them.

Buying a Coyote GT and will not be driving a Holden equivalent ..... even if they were 'better'. Will test drive the GT ...... but unless it is a disaster (highly doubtful) will still buy it and will only test drive it because I cannot wait!!!!!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #30
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Oh lawd........
Closed Thread