Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
EA Bogan

Default Why arent there many old Fords anymore compared to Holdens?

Is it just me or are there hardly any 1979 or older Australian Fords on the roads?? I haven't seen a Cortina, Fairlane or even 70s Falcon for many months and i drive a great deal across alot of locations. In contrast, there appear to be many many old Statesmans Kingswoods and late 70s commodores everywhere. Is it just Adelaide or is there a massive lack of old Fords everywhere?

Car 2: White 1998 Toyota Starlet Life 5speed manual
EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holdens aren't worth anything, so people who can't afford newer cars still drive them. The old Fords are classics and are being taken care of instead of being driven as transport.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Bogan
Is it just me or are there hardly any 1979 or older Australian Fords on the roads?? I haven't seen a Cortina, Fairlane or even 70s Falcon for many months and i drive a great deal across alot of locations. In contrast, there appear to be many many old Statesmans Kingswoods and late 70s commodores everywhere. Is it just Adelaide or is there a massive lack of old Fords everywhere?
I think it's just your area, drive around Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane and the
oldest most common Fords and Holders you now see are from the early 1990s.

Once vehicles reach the 20-25 year mark, their numbers really drop off quickly.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I find that what you see on the roads comes and goes in waves, I dont know what it is...(maybe a glitch in the matrix?) youre probably about due for a glut of old Fords.

I have noticed though that the 70s (HQ?) utes are very popular with tradies, I see a fair amount of nice refurbished ones.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you havent spotted me in pouring rain steering with me knees munching down maccas yet..??..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Cortina lives in a shed. I think most people who own classics don't drive them as daily's.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still a few up here,more valiant daily drivers around here than anything.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Monkey
XM FALCON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The Holdens aren't worth anything, so people who can't afford newer cars still drive them. The old Fords are classics and are being taken care of instead of being driven as transport.

There in the project section.
All the fords are in bits in peoples sheds...
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Ford used parts are worth something, what's left is worth something to scrap metal merchants. With the advent of Marine Parks off the coast and strict rules regarding moorings of vessels, most Holdens aren't needed any longer to anchor boats; so there's more of them on the street.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
iCat
doof doof doof doof

the older cars, holden or ford, really make you stop and look when you see them, there's so few to be seen except out on cruises. i saw a terrific xc sedan in my street last weekend driven by an old bloke, made quite a few of us stop and stare.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Mz Revvv Head

When we have a nice day here in Melb, they are out in forces ...

People collect & treasure them, not daily cars ...
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Very one eyed.

Try to buy a GTS Monaro, EH or HQ.

There are squillions of X series for sale in the $1k-$4k market and they are not uncommon out in the bush.

I believe that the reason for seeing more Holdens in urban environments is purely that there are far more holden bogans than ford bogans particularly in the younger age group so the car would appear more often.

Another contributing factor I suspect is the abundance of "holden specific" and "holden focused" wreckers supplying cheap parts.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i first got a licence i bought a 8 year old car. i thought it was a old piece of junk then.
With cars made back in the 70's and 60's i don't think the majority lasted much past 10 years old until they were scraped, and their value was not mainly worth anyone doing them up.
But now there is a lot of old commodores getting around still VB to VK and they are around 24 to 30 years old.

I think rust is the biggest killer of cars.

But then again i think that people could live or put up with cars from about 1976 because they all mainly had modern features and the older models were out of date with drum brakes no air con ect.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Adelaide is where GMHolden have their factory. They used to have several across Australia just like Ford. But that would explain a higher percentage in your locale.

What needs to be considered is the volume of the models sold by Ford and GMHolden in the 1960s and 1970s. It wasn't until 1980 that Ford overtook GMHolden for market leadership.

Further to this point, if there is less models made to begin with, then there is less spares available to keep the fleet alive. Which could in fact make the gap wider over time.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
kinksta
Luxojet

err, I'm in Adelaide and on Sunday I made note of the amount of old school fords about. Saw a replica gtho, old 78 fairlane (which i want), XB, one of those mainline utes...and to top the day off a orange elfin streamliner!! the week before I drove next to a Panamera!!
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
it's winter most old car hibernate.
wait till summer..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
it's winter most old car hibernate.
wait till summer..

Nailed it - Ford & Holden classics rugged up in a nice warm garage or shed, will slowly thaw and populate the roads with the advent of spring weather.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Winter? Oh yeh that is the time when the temerature can get down to 22 degrees....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Winter? Oh yeh that is the time when the temerature can get down to 22 degrees....
your not a melbourne boy are you
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
My Cortina lives in a shed. I think most people who own classics don't drive them as daily's.
maybe
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In perth i come across a few oldies every now and again , mostly old falcons and a few hq utes.
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the same over in the west. I hate to say it but i think most of the old Fords have rusted to death.
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

A lot of the 'unloved' models like Cortinas and some Fairlanes have long since been scrapped. Many Fairlanes have been cannibalised for parts for project cars.

Then again, I see very few early Commodores on the road these days. Probably for the same reasons.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Ive got a couple of XB sedans I see, as well as an XA GT mockup (at least I hope it's a mockup seeing the condition it's in).

There is also a nice sounding V8 XD wagon I see regularly as well.

But I do also see a few nice statos around as well. They just preserve better.

The weather in each particular area would be a factor too. I'm betting you see more nice old school cars in QLD than in the wet south.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Totally Agrree..and mines only a warm neat cruzer out on the w.e's...the real mint ones dont get out much at all...
Old 25-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior
Then again, I see very few early Commodores on the road these days. Probably for the same reasons.
too right, thats why i'm keeping mine mint
Old 25-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #27
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

I would imagine they are being parked these days and kept for special occassions.
Old 25-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd say a big factor is the regional thing, Adelaide is Holden country (Elizabeth) like Geelong is Ford country and you'll see a disproportionate number of Holden's and Ford's in both areas relative to the rest of Oz. IMHO I see more older Fords in better condition then older Holdens, but then again I see more Euro suv's at school pick-up time than any local brands combined and multiplied...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #29
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
too right, thats why i'm keeping mine mint
Ah yes... mint rust bucket, 82 vintage, pollution plus! a fine choice sir
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #30
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

my xb ute is my daily ride.. i have to agree that i don't see many old cars either.. if i see 10 of them then 8 will be other than ford. i'm guessing because the holdens are cheaper and easier to find? all i know is that finding parts isn't as easy anymore..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post