Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: What kind of AU owner are you?
I'm blue blooded. Virtually all falcons are awesome, the AU was just the model at the time 32 34.41%
I specifically bought an AU and once the AU's are too old for me I'll buy something different 9 9.68%
I specifically bought an AU, and i've liked it so much i'd consider another Ford when the time comes 23 24.73%
I've had Fords before and i'll have Fords again, but i'm not brand fussy. 9 9.68%
Other 20 21.51%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default What kind of AU owner are you?

So I've got another one of my funny polls to conduct

I'm trying to guage why you've got an AU.

The vast majority of AU owners I know in real life bought an AU falcon because it was an AU not just because it was a Ford.

Of course, then you get the others, who are blue-blooded and bought an AU simply because they'd of course buy a Ford Falcon, and the AU was just the model at the time for the right price.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 27-07-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Poll Included
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reliability and cheapness. Sold it before the prices hit rock bottom.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'm an AU owner cause i own an AU
Old 27-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

For me, i'm tossing up between options 2 and 3. I'd probably have to go with 3 i'd say, given my BA consideration thread.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
rods falcon
Long time lurking

Option 1 for me. Was after a Ford ute (initially a courier) and seen a low k XR6 for same money so the decision was easily made.
Old 27-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blue Blooded, fell in love with the BA originally but couldn't afford one for my first car (can't stand e series) so looked at a few AU's, after taking one for a drive and sitting in a few i fell in love with all things AU, get so much **** about having a so called UGLY car etc but ya know what, its beautiful in my eyes and thats all that matters.

The only car that i will ever upgrade to is an FG, B series don't appeal to me anymore, too bland and generic inside, AU has character and thats what i love!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
SVTVNM
Guzzler

When I wanted to retire the XY as a daily driver the Au's were just released, Went to my local Ford dealer they had a few Demos drove a XR6, told them I wanted an 8, they took me out to a storage shed were sat a freshly detailed XR8 in Silhouette. Honestly IMO believe the Tickford AU's are one the nicest Falcons around and no mistaking them for anything else with the XR fronts.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None, I prefer them to any other falcon I can afford (can't afford an fg ) because of looks handling and that 'au' charm
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Where is the "I owned a holden and was sick of it, then found a ford with a delecious interior and ample power to boot" option?

Edit: And then bought a holden later on to have the best of both worlds :P
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 27-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I've owned them all 40+ AU's

everything from XR8's, Fairlanes to the trusty dual fuel Forte

I still have in the stable an S3 XR8 manual but the twin lights do look abit dated... Time for a Fairmont front soon me thinks

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

You cannot get rid of a S3 XR front for a fairmont front! If it was a S1 maybe, but a fully kitted S1 can still look the goods aswell.

I got my AU because I needed a family car, knew I wanted it on gas, AU's give the best value per $$ and are simple enough to fix when it goes pop. And with the extra cash from not getting a b series I got a good branded SVI LPG system.

That and I prefer the look to a non XR B series aswell. The only thing the B series XT/Fairmont etc have over the AU is the engine, id love a Barra in the AU. Oh and the IRS is a bit nicer but it wasn't a factor.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

You cannot get rid of a S3 XR front for a fairmont front! If it was a S1 maybe, but a fully kitted S1 can still look the goods aswell.
THe XR front says 2000, but I had to have one of the last Windsors going. THe XR front is hard work. THe pods are always smashing on my driveway, worse than the overhang on my GT frontbar. THe Fairmont front will look alittle more modern and not need the constant love that my poor XR bar needs :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Oh and the IRS is a bit nicer but it wasn't a factor.
Nicer it is, but the maintainability on it is worth as much as the cars :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
sleeper393

Thumbs up

picked my serie 3 up at the auctions , was originally going to get an ef/el , as i didnt like the au, series 1's put me off , my wife said look at the newer au's , so i did and im thankful , did a heap of research on them before laying down the folding stuff , and seen they were very reliable , bought in 2005 it was an october build 2002 s/3 128000km $9000 , serviced regularly , ex lease car. :clean
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah well, since Mt H's BA thread I've got to thinking about it as well.

The very few hours I actually drive a car negates forking out for a new one but even though I'm not a fan of BA/Fs there was a guy at work yesterday who recently picked up a BF2 F/Ghia, 42,000kms for $16.5K at an auction.

My son-in-laws dad has a BF2 XR6 and I'm sure we can swap cars for a weekend so I might get a bit more interested and do that.

Most likely, I'll dither about for another twelve months...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I'm a true blue ford man. As is most of my family. I grew up around V8's and when it come time for me to downsize the Cruiser wagon i was driving. The AU3 XR8 just happened to be what was on offer at the time, clean swapped it and to this day i've never looked back. I'm thinkin a T-series might be next =]
Old 27-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

AU's were the last Falcon's with simple bullet proof mechanics. AU's are stone age in their engineering. But that's why I like em. Less crap to go wrong. Ugly as sin though. if it were a dog you'd put it down.
Old 27-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

bought it cheap. has been reliable- very ugly tho.
Old 27-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
sleeper393

s/3's are a damn sight prettier than the series 1's ,from forte to xr's, series 1's look like the love child between a turtle and golum.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

When the time was right for me to buy my 1st V8, the AU II was released, my missus and I went out to our local dealer and there was a AU II XR8 in Galaxy Blue sitting on the showroom floor, and the rest is history.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I bought my AU because it was black and an XR. Prior to buying Lucifa I thought that AUs were butt ugly.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

<--- Need i say more
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Blue blooded!

AU was the newest model I could afford. Loved it so much, I replaced the Laser with another one!

Would love an S2-3 XR8, or S2-3 Ghia V8. Will have to wait a while though, but I suspect I may end up with one.

By then though, BF XR8s will be cheaper. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
DaveTE
Back in black

Definetly I'm "OTHER" reason being that my TE50 is staying for life. I'll grow old with it happily. My XR8 I may consider updating witih another Ford in the future but she's 10 years young ATM.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the time i was looking for a car on the practical side , the au ticked all boxes for me, it was low k`s , like new through out, reliable++, good tow car, comfy, decent handling, went well, plus i worked on henrys as a young buk, i have a clue the way they put them together and come apart, so regardless of brand loyalty i probably would have bought a henry, still glad i bought the Au , not without its little flaws but......... this has been the only car i`ve ever owned that i don`t carry a single tool with me, and its never let me down.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest i did'nt think much of the series I range.
We bought our series II XR8 at 185,000km at 4 years old & had a trouble free run really (harmonic balancer), did a few drag days, but always kept it well maintained. Traded it in on the T3 at 245,000km & got near 10k trade in ( with a little arm twisting)
After owning the T3 & the T2, i am hooked. So much so i have just bought a T1 also.
The AU's would be on par with my former XB GT coupe in being a great drivers car.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #26
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where is the "my wife's car was ready to fall apart so we needed a new car and she wanted a 'family' car and wouldn't let me look at a supercharged commodore" option
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #27
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I guess I'm in the "other" catagory.

Started a family and needed a wagon. As I wanted plenty of space there was only 2 options really, red or blue. As I wanted reliability and longevity I figured half a million cab drivers can't be wrong so went blue, plus I've hated those red things since the day the first VB crappydore hit the streets so it was really no contest. First came 2 ELs' then when I decided to go for LPG I figured a factory fitted system had to be better and would be covered by the extended warranty I wanted. Taking all that into account there really was only one choice, enter the factory dual fuel AUII Futura wagon. It grew on me so much that I went out and found an AUII Fairlane Sportman. We'll drive the wagon into the ground I reacon but I love my 'lane so much I want to keep it schmick as long as possable.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove my sisters AU a handful of times to keep it happy while she was away on holiday for a month then decided I wanted one!

I doubt I'll sell my AU, I'll just "upgrade" to a T3 or a Force8 one day and keep the AU for the weekends.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
diatribal08

Hell of a lot a car for not much $$ compared to dunnydores and the look of an AU grows on ya plus reliable as all f#!k plus cant afford an XC Cobra LOL
diatribal08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'm an AU owner because they make great cheap, reliable bangers!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post