Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
selbyro
Starter Motor

Default Raising XR8 Suspension

Hello All,

I am looking for a quick easy way to raise my car suspension 35mm on the rear and 17 mm on the front so I can pass inspection for SA registration. Presently the vehicle is registered in Vic and it seems it does not matter. The ute has coils up front and leaf springs at the rear.

Just need it to get through an inspection, and then revert to normal, not sure if I can get away with just changing the shocks or do I need all new suspension gea. Perhaps second hand components will get me through.

Any ideas are welcome

Old 21-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Second hand suspension is about the only way. Oh and the cheapest too

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Couple of bags of cement in the back? No wait, that would lower it.

SVO's on the money - you need to replace springs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
veqlargh

I've got a similer problem. I've been looking into adjustable suspension like koni yellows. Relatively expensive but allows you to go up and down ( if you ever have to go over pits again).
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbyro
Hello All,

I am looking for a quick easy way to raise my car suspension 35mm on the rear and 17 mm on the front so I can pass inspection for SA registration. Presently the vehicle is registered in Vic and it seems it does not matter. The ute has coils up front and leaf springs at the rear.

Just need it to get through an inspection, and then revert to normal, not sure if I can get away with just changing the shocks or do I need all new suspension gea. Perhaps second hand components will get me through.

Any ideas are welcome
Have they used lowering blocks on the ute? If so, then just remove them.
Otherwise, just get the rears reset.

Or, for the price, have a look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...item335d95f9a4

I fitted a set of those to my ute 2 days ago, and it's 38cm from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

I have stock XR springs on the front, and the back now sits slightly higher than the front.
Old 22-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or you could fit some of these under the rear:
http://www.heasmans.com.au/polyair/product/index.html
Old 23-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veqlargh
I've got a similer problem. I've been looking into adjustable suspension like koni yellows. Relatively expensive but allows you to go up and down ( if you ever have to go over pits again).
How do Koni's adjust the height? ..I thought that they only adjusted the rate of damping.
Old 23-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
sleeper393

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
How do Koni's adjust the height? ..I thought that they only adjusted the rate of damping.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
selbyro
Starter Motor

Default Suspension raised

Well thanks all for the advice. quick an easy solution was a set of 2nd hand springs from the wreckers and in they went. The back is a little higher than I would have liked but a set of intermediates down the track will resolve this. Besides I can always put the old ones in.