Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Interior Fan Removal

OK, so a leaf or something has gotten into my internal (AC/heater) fan, and now it seems to think its "Wheel Of Fortune", making the clicky clacky (yes, that is the scientific term) noise.

Now when this happens in the Colt, it takes about 5-10 minutes to get the fan out, clean it, and put it back in. I'm hoping that the AU shares something in common with the Colt - quickness of fix. However, I'm not sure what I'm meant to be pulling apart so if anyone could help would be much appreciated, I'll get onto it straight away!

Cheers

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same thing and it is soo annoying. Id be interested to see what it takes to get the fan out but I blasted the air compressor in every vent and the intake to try and dislodge it and that didnt work so I sprayed half a can of silicone spray down there to "lube it up" and that didnt work either, just made the car smell weird. I think mine might actually be the motor though, doesnt really sound like a leaf.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine makes a weird noise, dry fan bearing to get to the fan you need to pretty much take the dash out, i took a video a while back and posted it up
heres the link

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11256297
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
to get to the fan you need to pretty much take the dash out
Cheers for that, in that case I'll go by the old "stereo noise can be louder than fan noise" philosophy, and wait for the fan to disintegrate the leaf!

Might have to look at putting some sort of mesh "filter" between the fan and where it draws air at some stage if I do end up pulling the fan out.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

it'll stop eventually.... i had this happen for about 4 months, then just stopped, and then happened a week later, it's been good for a while now.

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

im not sure on au's but on ef el if u remove the glovebox there is a aluminium resistor block to the left which controls the temps thru the sensors, there are 2 screws holding it on and u can access it without pulling the dash. i have fixed a few leaf noises by taking this off reaching in and grabbing out the dry leaves.
may be worth a look

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

you can remove the glovebox to see the fan

but you need to remove the dash to get the fan out
Old 28-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Cakmo
Starter Motor

Default Re: Interior Fan Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta View Post
OK, so a leaf or something has gotten into my internal (AC/heater) fan, and now it seems to think its "Wheel Of Fortune", making the clicky clacky (yes, that is the scientific term) noise.

Now when this happens in the Colt, it takes about 5-10 minutes to get the fan out, clean it, and put it back in. I'm hoping that the AU shares something in common with the Colt - quickness of fix. However, I'm not sure what I'm meant to be pulling apart so if anyone could help would be much appreciated, I'll get onto it straight away!

Cheers

I know its an old thread, but I had this exact problem today with My 2001 AU2 XR6. Once you know what you are looking for its really easy. Get the glovebox out (Squeeze the sides, then tap the bottom of the glovebox from the bottom with the palm of your hand-Gently) Sit in the drivers seat with the ignition on and fiddle with the circulation control. You will quite clearly see the peice lift up that hides the fan. A torch and long tweezers v=can help too.

Good luck and go to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater Fan Before.JPG (116.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Heater Fan after.JPG (98.8 KB, 309 views)
Cakmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
haydenr
Starter Motor

I have rats stuck in my au2 xr6 2000 model. And I need them out as it smells like s*%t. And I don't want to remove my dash to do it.
How did you take that white cover off? Any help would be great 👍
haydenr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Cakmo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenr View Post
I have rats stuck in my au2 xr6 2000 model. And I need them out as it smells like s*%t. And I don't want to remove my dash to do it.
How did you take that white cover off? Any help would be great 👍
I am not sure what you mean by the white cover, but I was told how to expose the fan and couldnt see it!! It wasnt till I played with the circulation dial and the cover lifted!! Bloody magic!! I can`t remember which setting it was sorry, but it lifts itself.
Cakmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
haydenr
Starter Motor

Managed to get it. White lid is spring loaded and just pushes up and you can see the back of the fan. I had some cloth trim stuck in mine. Got tweezers and pulled it out. So no rats now 👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (119.7 KB, 153 views)
haydenr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post