Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default QLD: Covert cameras for easter

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/f...-1225847175642
Quote:
ANYTIME, anywhere. And you won't even know you've been caught until it's too late.

Covert speed cameras will be deployed on Queensland roads for the first time from Thursday, coinciding with the traditional Easter holiday break.

Descriptions of the three unmarked vehicles containing the hidden cameras are such closely guarded secrets that not even the Police Minister knows what they look like.

The only clue authorities are releasing today is that they could be any make or model, rather than from the well-known fleet of 40 speed-camera vans and 4WDs.

Two unmarked police motorcycles will also join the war on speed, with officers dressed as normal riders to catch unsuspecting motorists.

Police Minister Neil Roberts last night told The Courier-Mail that chances of being unwittingly caught would be a "powerful motivator" for motorists to slow down.

"There is clear evidence which shows that increasing the chance and uncertainty of detection is a powerful motivator in changing people's driving habits," he said. "With covert speed cameras now on the roads, motorists will need to consider whether a vehicle parked on the side of the road is fitted with a speed camera."

Mr Roberts said even he hadn't been briefed on what the vehicles looked liked.

"I haven't even seen them and I don't want to, to be honest with you," he said.

The roll-out of covert speed cameras is a significant shift in policy direction for the State Government as it desperately tries to reduce the road toll.

While police have long deployed hand-held speed guns, motorists are warned about fixed speed cameras while the vans and 4WD fleet are clearly identifiable.

There have been 36 fewer deaths on Queensland roads compared with this time last year, however, the two-week Easter period usually heralds an increase in fatalities.

The three covert cameras will be placed around the southeast, with more units to come for the rest of the state.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said the covert units account for up to 30 per cent of mobile speed cameras.

"The use of covert cameras is about saving lives and we make no apology for using whatever tool is available to prevent trauma on our roads."
we're pretty much screwed now, seems to be going the way of VIC

I have just found this..the cars revealed

http://www.roadsmart.com.au/articles/latest.html

3X white BA utes
3X white VZ utes
1X VW Golf

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Yeah, saw this on the news a while ago... fantastic news : ... Especially sneaky with the unmarked bikes too. They won't actually pull you over so as to keep the identity of the bikes a secret, but will follow speeders and radio to nearby marked police cars to intercept.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
LightingBA

Pfft. More like the covert cameras are about filling up the States depleted coffers. I Can't fathom how they think that the use of covert cameras is going to "prevent trauma on our roads".
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingBA
Pfft. More like the covert cameras are about filling up the States depleted coffers. I Can't fathom how they think that the use of covert cameras is going to "prevent trauma on our roads".
They're not interested in preventing trauma on our roads, it's all about the $$$.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once they start that`s it they will multiply like rabbits.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingBA
It wont!!!

The idiot doing 100 in a 60 zone that passes a covert camera is unaware that he/she has been flashed and continues doing 100 right up until they run out of talent and hit a tree, or worse somebody else. Lose lose situation for the muppets running the state. No fine as the speedster is quite dead and they also have another fatality to chalk up.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

If speed cameras reduce the road toll? as cops keep saying, Why does it keep going up !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Flaming Mo

“Two unmarked police motorcycles will also join the war on speed, with officers dressed as normal riders to catch unsuspecting motorists.”

Surely the Police Commissioner is not suggesting that in this day and age, the motoring public pull over for a normal looking dude riding a normal looking motorbike riding beside you flashing what may or may not be a badge. Who here would be wanting their wife or girlfriend pulling over for some random dude on a motorbike?
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Total waste of time these things are...

Its impersonal and its just another "bill" in the mail.
Nothing more embarressing then actually being pulled over (specially with family in the car).

It would be great if it was possible to find out if anyone was photographed by a speed camera and then has a crash withing a few mintues.

I can understand red light cameras as they provide valuable evidence during a crash, but the use of red light cameras is a waste of time. What is needed is more of a Police presenece on the road. Something which i rarely see here.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

the cops dont support speed cameras, the politicans and moron media support them
Old 31-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really do wish ppl would read before opening mouth.....these covert units WILL NOT pull you over nor will you get a ticket in the mail. They will radio ahead to the marked units who will pull you over and give you the ticket.

Seems the dumbing down is taking affect!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Flaming Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I really do wish ppl would read before opening mouth.....these covert units WILL NOT pull you over nor will you get a ticket in the mail. They will radio ahead to the marked units who will pull you over and give you the ticket.

My bad….. didn’t see 1970’s post, only read the news article. Having said that, to be effective, the unmarked bikes will literally need a crew or vehicle to follow them round for the shift, as there will unlikely be units sitting idly nearby to assist all day with vehicle intercepts as they require them. 2 vehicles and 3 men for each infringement, hardly the best use of resources which are already stretched IMO.

However, If they were to operate by having a cluster of police waiting just down the road, this would be a welcome return to the fairy radar (tripod radar) days, an operation I personally haven’t seen for about 10 years. This is a good way to not only enforce speed, but to turn over occupants, check cars, etc in mass. If this was the case though, I don’t really see the need to spend tens of thousands on bikes. The crews could just drop the operator down the road behind a tree like they did for decades. He hardly needs to be sitting atop a motorcycle. Sounds like a new way to do an old job.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to Mexico we have had all these for years now and this Easter will be no different with even more unmarked and marked cars and bikes on the road. Trouble is that some people believe the roads are solely for their use and we just have to learn to slow down a little and share. Better late than dead on time. I have to admit they ( covert vehicles and cameras ) have changed mine and a lot of other peoples driving habits because we just dont know where and when they will be. It still seems the younger generation , on the whole, dont get it and think they can do anything they want and unfortunately it usually ends in someone else ends up paying the price for their stupidity. Have a safe Easter and i hope you all are able to return to this forum next week happy and healthy.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

what?

I think you will find that the camera cars which there are only 3 of, will be unmarked VZ/BA utes and 1 golf... having said that I doubt they could set a camera setup in a golf as the only ones I have seen in use wouldnt fit in the space provided but on that I could be wrong, they will however send you a fine in the mail as they are fully operable.

unmarked bikes are due to increasing numbers of 'bikes' on the road, and will mainly be used to patrol emergancy stoplane use/lane splitting on bikes.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Covert speed cameras will be deployed on Queensland roads for the first time from Thursday, coinciding with the traditional Easter holiday break.

Descriptions of the three unmarked vehicles containing the hidden cameras are such closely guarded secrets that not even the Police Minister knows what they look like.

The only clue authorities are releasing today is that they could be any make or model, rather than from the well-known fleet of 40 speed-camera vans and 4WDs.
I think this is what people are not agreeing too....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Welcome to Mexico we have had all these for years now and this Easter will be no different with even more unmarked and marked cars and bikes on the road. Trouble is that some people believe the roads are solely for their use and we just have to learn to slow down a little and share. Better late than dead on time. I have to admit they ( covert vehicles and cameras ) have changed mine and a lot of other peoples driving habits because we just dont know where and when they will be. It still seems the younger generation , on the whole, dont get it and think they can do anything they want and unfortunately it usually ends in someone else ends up paying the price for their stupidity. Have a safe Easter and i hope you all are able to return to this forum next week happy and healthy.
Cheers
GT450
But GT450, surely with this change of driving habit you must be constantly running into trees and having head on collisions with inattentive old men, what with having to constantly monitor your speedo to make sure the money grubbing pollies don't whisk you away to be subjected to some sort of conspiricy based inquest. This businss about changing peoples driving habits is surely barrow pushing propoganda???
Old 31-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

The unmarked bikes are well know in the bikers circles, They seem to be using Triumph Speed Triples and Gixxers, but basically steer clear of anything with a fender eliminator haha
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If you don't speed you won't get caught

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
ahh that old chestnut....

yes everything in life is black and white

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
plumby
Huston we have lift off

yeah i would like to find out wat bikes they will be using though
plumby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
They seem to be using Triumph Speed Triples and Gixxers
just above mate, i've also heard of a few R1's
Old 31-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I've only seen the gixxers

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #23
Cam
Stroking it...

I drive on the speed limit, 99% of the time, if i get done speeding by an unmarked car, then so be it! I did the crime...I drive to Hervey bay from brissy a bit, and there is a section of 90 where the speed is too low for the roads, and because of that I am more inclined to do say 95, whilst there are signs that say "decreased speed, increased police presence"...
I recall the old pacific motorway was 100km, with 1 lane each way, now its 3 lanes each way, with a traffic island in between, with better surfaces, and straighter roads, and its still 100k, yet they put speed cameras on these sections to make the roads safer????

What I do have a problem with is cameras placed in areas where for instance you come over a hill and the speed goes from 100 to 60, that does not do anything to reduce the road toll, that's just revenue raising! If I hit one of those 60km/h limits with a truck up my clacker, and hit the brakes and slowed to 60 I'd have more chance of being killed then if i was doing 100 through the small town with a 60km/h limit..
If it was a "black spot" that was a safety issue then the speed would be lowered before the black spot to ensure that when the "black spot" is reached people would already doing a safe speed..

Covert Cameras wont lower the road toll, out of all the people killed on the roads the people speeding are a low %, the government knows this... But the real cause is an entirely different thread..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

somebody sent me this photo taken this morning near daisy hill service rd logan city, the guy inside was in plain clothes, camera lens is behind canopy rear window and flash light is down next to the number plate

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Volkswagen Golf TDi Speed Camera
April 2, 2010, 7:14pm by pX
Volkswagen Golf TDi Speed Camera Spotted

As the Easter long weekend begins, so does the new fleet of unmarked speed camera vehicles across Queensland Roads. One of those vehicles, a Volkswagen Golf TDi was seen late this afternoon on Narangba Road, Nargaba on Brisbane's northside, flashing furiously as unsuspecting speeding motorists passed the new unmarked speed camera vehicle.

It is the toughest measure yet taken by the Queensland Police to crack down on speeding drivers and they hope that these covert vehicles will reinforce the message that if you speed, you will be caught.
http://www.roadsmart.com.au/articles/latest.html
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I dont pay enough tax anyway. What a crock
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #27
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
For exceeding the speed limit. There is more to safe driving than that imo
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and another up on Bonogin road in Mudgeeraba
Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Current model Blue/Grey Corolla on Centenary Freeway @ Figtree Pocket.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #30
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that commo ute was used on stafford road on saturday I think maybe friday.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post