Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New feature Falcons should have

On the weekend, I had the chance to witness a feature I think all Falcons should have. Pulling up to horse-riding meet I ran into an old mate of mine who has a VW Jetta, He parked his VW in very muddy clay as there were no more parking spaces on the gravel.

Anyway after the meet, we all went back to the cars and a guy in a Landcruiser said to my mate he will need a tow to get out of the mud, my mate said 'na it will be fine'. He jumped in the VW, turned off traction control, and after a split second as the wheels thought about it the VW hauled out of there like it was on bitumen. All of us were quite stunned. My VW mate explained that all VWs have a EDL or Electronic Diff Lock.

The EDL uses the ABS wheel sensors to constantly direct power to both wheels by using the brakes to split torque 50:50 to each wheel. Unlike traction control, the EDL does not reduce or cut engine power when the wheels slip. So you can rev the guts out of the VW and just power through anything. The VW actually acted like it had a mechanically locked diff (like a RTV) as both drive wheels had power when it went through the mud.

Looking at my big, powerful, rear wheel drive Ford with its 2.3 tonne towing capacity I am just shocked Ford could not see an opportunity to add this simple electronic feature to Falcons, as all of the ABS, traction control wheel sensors are already there. I can never use traction control in mud as cars just bog down when it senses both wheels slipping, but with the EDL the car would continue to power through.

With Falcon utes used on construction sites, other Falcons used to tow horses, caravans and boats an EDL would be brilliant addition. And with the staggering amount of compact, midsize and large SUVs being bought for towing and light off-road uses a EDL would be a great marketing angle to get some of these buyers to reconsider a Falcon.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

all of this cost coin to develop etc,the more and more features we start putting in cars the more and more the prices will climb.could be made as an optional extra but i guess.
Old 22-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Wally
XP Coupe

Isn't EDL just part of the stability control system (ESP/DSC)= add friction via the brake pads to the slip wheel and by default transferring power to the other wheel?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Isn't EDL just part of the stability control system (ESP/DSC)= add friction via the brake pads to the slip wheel and by default transferring power to the other wheel?
EDL came out on a certain earlier BA-BF Falcon ute but it only locked the two rear wheels. As stated above.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTV?

seems like a good idea to add to the range
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
iliov
Banned

Heated seats
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

espresso machine in dash
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

EDL seems like a pretty good idea, even just for feature bragging rights. And if they beat holden to the punch that would be even better.
A few other things I wouldn't mind seeing:
- No cost option ZF auto on all models
- Heated seats for G series (optional at least)
- Technology & Safety packs standard on XR & G series
- A no cost option for towbars may entice people into a large sedan?
- A neat idea ive seen on the latest fiesta was unlocking the car turned on the parkers

Im sure a couple may have been done already, and im equally sure theres plenty more ideas out there. On a side note, I watched a FG XR drive past today and I got an interesting thought. If they separated the headlights into quads for the FG2, i think it would be a return to the chiseled look of an EL (not EF) XR. And quite frankly would look awesome on the frontend of the FG, it would really add to the differentiation too.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scotty, don't think the ZF will ever be a NCO on lesser models. I would LOVE to be proven wrong though. That gearbox is freaking awesome. I will only rent G6E's now when I travel interstate (given up the full size luxo's as they are only 5 speed Statesmans now all the Fairlane's have been retired). Or an A6 from Europcar!

Thing is is if they make all the good stuff standard, then prices climb. Hard. Make it an option and some people might still be able to get behind the wheel, give or take some good stuff.

For mine though I can't believe more of the newer Fords, especially the higher series' don't get LSD standard.

I got caught on a low tide boat ramp with a 600kg ski boat with my traction only BA XR6 once. Same ramp, low tide, 1500kg boat behind the LSD'd NC and nary a slip - straight out. And that was 15's instead of 17's.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Xenons
Old 22-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
EDL seems like a pretty good idea, even just for feature bragging rights. And if they beat holden to the punch that would be even better.
A few other things I wouldn't mind seeing:
- No cost option ZF auto on all models
- Heated seats for G series (optional at least)
- Technology & Safety packs standard on XR & G series
- A no cost option for towbars may entice people into a large sedan?
- A neat idea ive seen on the latest fiesta was unlocking the car turned on the parkers

Just a thought, why would you want heated seats in Brisbane
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a 2wd Territory down real muddy road, and unbenounced to me it was a no through road. I was amazed how well it maintained traction, despite not having a LSD and road biased tyres. You could feel the individual wheels being braked, while the car got slower and slower, I thought I was done for, but it still maintained momentum. It was crawling along at about 10-15kmh (with my foot flat to the floor, but little or no wheelspin), but still kept going. And then I had to turn around and do it all again
I was quite impressed.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Mick K.

I had a 99 middle-of-the-range Golf that had EDL too, so it has been around for awhile as a fairly standard feature. I think it was designed for icy / snowy take offs as it deactivates at abut 30-40 kmh, so it isn't really a substitute for an LSD, but quite a nice feature nonetheless.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Waste of R&D resources for anything but the Territory.

I'd like to see LED's, Xenons and the SYNC and buttonless console on the Falcon first.

EDIT: vvvv probably not.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm just wondering if all the people asking for heated seats have ever sat in a Falcon after it's been parked on a 35+ deg day?
Old 22-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I'm just wondering if all the people asking for heated seats have ever sat in a Falcon after it's been parked on a 35+ deg day?
For that I have also added to your reputation.

Heated seats. Are you having a laugh? We live in Australia... not Antartica.

I have a black G6E Turbo with black leather and on a hot day... it takes about 10 minutes with the A/C on to get it to a point where I can sit in it. Stuff heated seats. Give me better A/C.

And for those that want heated seats... wear pants on a cold morning to work or just harden up. The choice is yours... and I would even prefer to have this EDL... I won't use it, don't have the need. But at least I might use it. Heated seats I would never use. EVER.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Particularly with the leather, you'll walk away with 3rd degree burns. I'd like cooled seats!

And Re: the original post, that's a pretty cool idea - I imagine it could be useful in a ute on a worksite.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Just a thought, why would you want heated seats in Brisbane
Well it is rather cold here in winter at 5 in the morning. Naturally not as cold as the southern states, but enough to warrant it being a useful addition. Personally it doesnt bother me, I was just thinking of it as an idea in general. Some will like it, some wont. Whilst it may not make a good business case for Ford either, still just an idea thats all.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"A neat idea ive seen on the latest fiesta was unlocking the car turned on the parkers" The previous Fiesta Zetec does it.
Old 23-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about..digital radio, electric seat passenger side, drivers seat massager (BMW,Benz)
puddle lamps, auto dim rear vision mirrors.
Why bother ? just rebadge Mondeo Titanium as a G6E !!!!!!!!!!!!
V8 would be nice !!!!
Old 23-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The electric diff lock sounds like a good idea. at least as an option.

things I'd like to see.

Full iPhone (or insert you brand of phone) integration
Internet acess via in dash screen, available now in US F series
I like heated seats (but Im in melb) Ive had them in other cars realy nice.
Cooled seats, more useful than heated seats.
options lots of options BMW doest it, its not a volume issue as they tell you, its more a logistics exercise than anything else. choose wheels, suspension, trim colours, diff ratios etc
programmable features light on/off etc
lane guard
engine bays actually painted
solar panels that run a/c when car is parked.

im sure there is more..
Old 23-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The electric diff lock sounds like a good idea. at least as an option.

things I'd like to see.

Full iPhone (or insert you brand of phone) integration
Internet acess via in dash screen, available now in US F series
I like heated seats (but Im in melb) Ive had them in other cars realy nice.
Cooled seats, more useful than heated seats.
options lots of options BMW doest it, its not a volume issue as they tell you, its more a logistics exercise than anything else. choose wheels, suspension, trim colours, diff ratios etc
programmable features light on/off etclane guard
engine bays actually painted
solar panels that run a/c when car is parked.

im sure there is more..
In bold. I want my iPhone recognised! I have an iPod but it may as well be a very light paper weight now... and my car already has programmable lights etc with the ICC

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #23
XR8putts

Xenon headlights and well designed LED taillights.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #24
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
EDL came out on a certain earlier BA-BF Falcon ute but it only locked the two rear wheels. As stated above.

wasnt the rtv an eaton elocker very different to the system being discussed by the OP
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Simple options such as:
Sunroof;
Auto up and down windows;
Powered front passenger seat.
Old 23-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can do a claytons diff lock by pulling the handbrake on , it will put enough friction on the spinning wheel to make the other wheel turn, good for short distance`s.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #27
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Xenon headlights and well designed LED taillights.
+1

also led daytime running lights would be nice
Old 23-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #28
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
On the weekend, I had the chance to witness a feature I think all Falcons should have. Pulling up to horse-riding meet I ran into an old mate of mine who has a VW Jetta, He parked his VW in very muddy clay as there were no more parking spaces on the gravel.

Anyway after the meet, we all went back to the cars and a guy in a Landcruiser said to my mate he will need a tow to get out of the mud, my mate said 'na it will be fine'. He jumped in the VW, turned off traction control, and after a split second as the wheels thought about it the VW hauled out of there like it was on bitumen. All of us were quite stunned. My VW mate explained that all VWs have a EDL or Electronic Diff Lock.

The EDL uses the ABS wheel sensors to constantly direct power to both wheels by using the brakes to split torque 50:50 to each wheel. Unlike traction control, the EDL does not reduce or cut engine power when the wheels slip. So you can rev the guts out of the VW and just power through anything. The VW actually acted like it had a mechanically locked diff (like a RTV) as both drive wheels had power when it went through the mud.

Looking at my big, powerful, rear wheel drive Ford with its 2.3 tonne towing capacity I am just shocked Ford could not see an opportunity to add this simple electronic feature to Falcons, as all of the ABS, traction control wheel sensors are already there. I can never use traction control in mud as cars just bog down when it senses both wheels slipping, but with the EDL the car would continue to power through.

With Falcon utes used on construction sites, other Falcons used to tow horses, caravans and boats an EDL would be brilliant addition. And with the staggering amount of compact, midsize and large SUVs being bought for towing and light off-road uses a EDL would be a great marketing angle to get some of these buyers to reconsider a Falcon.
It's not so special - my AU III Fairmont wagon does the same thing in effect but not quite as sophisticated. Below 40km/h the T/C will first power down the engine, and, if one wheel persists in slipping it applies the brake to that wheel and therefore transfers power to the wheel with more grip. It is disconcerting at first when on a steep incline because you lose power but the thing just keeps going. Not as good as a AWD but definitely as good as (if not better than) any LSD.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #29
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm no engineering expert, but what would EDL do that a normal LSD doesnt?

For a FWD it sounds great, where you can activate it to work when you need it and operate an open diff for normal driving conditions where an LSD might be an issue for novice drivers, but for a RWD i dont really see the benefit unless you tuned it to work like Ferrari's electronic diff.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #30
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a good handbrake system and a 6cyl engine that idles smooth..
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post