Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Improving engine bay appearance

After receiving a bad comment about my engine bay from someone while at the drags I've decided to improve it a bit.

I have a few ideas and just want to see if anyone knows prices or has any advice.

1st up the coolant reservoir. I know there are polished metal ones but they're expensive. Or is there a cheap alternative? Anyone had any success painting it?

2nd the intake pipe. Ive seen a few people with a polished pipe in place of the plastic. Is there a ready made one of these to buy?

3rd. Polishing the intake manifold. Prices of doing this? Places in Perth?

4th Some after market rocker covers. Wouldnt mind some Ford Racing ones. Will need to see who distributes them in WA.

Thanks for any comments/help.

Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

I have been told the genuine coolant tanks are reasonably priced.

Get a polished ally intake pipe from BPT.

Other than that just a good clean, I use Armorall wash & wax in my engine bay and them chamois dry as much as you can.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Was the comment because it was dirty? Or because it just looked stock??

Just buy some cheapo Export degreaser (usually get them for 95c on special at Supercheap) and give the bay a good spray, then rinse it out!
Old 20-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Was the comment because it was dirty? Or because it just looked stock??

Just buy some cheapo Export degreaser (usually get them for 95c on special at Supercheap) and give the bay a good spray, then rinse it out!
Good call Dave.
I have sprayed some paint around the bay. Just used Hi temp brake paint (left over from doing the brakes) on the heat shiled and some plastic on the fuse box. I have also seen guys on the forum paint the coolant res as well (left a pep hole to see fluid level). These are very cheap and esay to do. whats your budget?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Dont have a set budget but I dont want to spend a fortune if you know what i mean.

The comment wasnt because of the cleanliness as it wasn't dirty but just said it looked ugly. I sort of agreed with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Get a polished ally intake pipe from BPT.
Cheers for that. Didnt realise they did that sort of thing. Might get some other stuff while Im there.
Old 20-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on what your mate drives could also reflect on his opinion.

Really depends on what you are after, a good cruiser that you are happy with a relatively stock engine bay or to go the way of upgrading with bling, that once you actually start, believe me, the bug starts and it can end up costing an arm and a leg.

Good luck though, BPT are the way to go as CRAIGAU320 has recommended.

That's my 2c worth
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The comment wasnt because of the cleanliness as it wasn't dirty but just said it looked ugly. I sort of agreed with him.
Was the comment because you had better times than he did?
Old 20-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Was the comment because you had better times than he did?
Nah he wasnt driving anything down there.

The 5.0s arent a very attractive engine though. The main problem being the manifold with a side mount throttle body. You dont get that symmetrical look like the Commodores.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

Winsor220 maybe a few ideas for you

WORK HORSE - P250
CATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The 5.0s arent a very attractive engine though. The main problem being the manifold with a side mount throttle body. You dont get that symmetrical look like the Commodores.
Thats my main issue with them... i love symmetry and have ever since entering the engineering scene... mind you, i have my own plan to combat this in the long run, but have been considering an alternative for the shorter term of twin symmetrical throttle bodies...
Old 20-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXR8
Winsor220 maybe a few ideas for you
That has given me some ideas. Where can we get hold of some paint for colours like Narooma blue. I know places like Supercheap dont stock it.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice bay Catxr8, looks very nice. I painted my coolant tank about 2 years ago(leaving the peep hole), the paint hasn't come off..cheap easy and effective..as can been seen from Catxr8's pic.
Old 20-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

The MSD coil packs make it look a bit tougher whilst giving a better spark, the metal intake pipe is a good cheap one and really easy, colour coding the intake pipe connectors with spark plug leads and maybe some other stuff will also tidy it up.
I got these rocker covers from the states absolutely love them but had to modify the accelerator cable bracket, and im yet to install the r/h one as the filler neck needs slight modifying but thats out of my skill range!
the last photo is how it was when i brought it, im still undecided on the cover going back on as it hides a few of my goodies which is good and bad.

and yes that manifold is rather ugly, the plan is to get it painted wrinkle black like the rocker covers and try polish the row of ribs across the top then i think it wouldn't stick out like dogs balls!

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

Plenty of choice with rocker covers.

To get the Explorer polished your looking at around $200. Take it off and go see Matt @ Refleks Metal Polishing in Malaga. He can also polish your T/B and MAF housing aswell. And any other little bits you think of, like thermostat housing etc.

You could pay a fortune for an ally intake pipe from BPT or you could just spend $40 on a 3" 60degree stainless mandrel bend, cut it to size, drill a hole for IAT sensor and get a rubber grommet to suit. Then 2 x 3"-3" silicone joiners and 2 extra hose clamps and thats it. Send that to the polishers aswell before it goes back on.

As you said, a nice PWR header tank is a good idea. Or could just paint your original one in your preferred colour.

Also, if you have your engine cover on all the time, could look into painting that up abit.

Other than that mate, its just a matter of keeping all the black plastic/rubber parts shiney and everything else clean.

This isnt the best pic i have of it, but only one on photobucket. Mates engine bay in his AUII 220. He had it looking abit better than that too, by polishing the MAF housing, changing those silicone joiners to black and getting a new header tank.

XH5LWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yeah the issue I got with BPT pipe as well is its made up of a number of pieces so there is ugly welds all up it. Would rather a one piece pipe like the one above.

Im thinking of colour coding the engine cover but dont know where to get some Narooma paint from.

With the rocker covers is there anywhere I can just go in and buy them instead of dealing with the US or over east?
Old 21-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

Narooma paint could be bought from any auto paint store, like Protec etc. Have a look in the latest PSC, or may have been the one before, it had a thing about some company putting whatever paint you want (genuine Ford colours etc) into a pressure pack. Dunno what the finish would be like, but if ya knew what u were doing it couldnt be too bad.

Yeah u can get rocker covers from Perth, but you'll pay top dollar for them. Search for the ones you want, then give places like A1HiPerformance or CMP a call.
XH5LWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post