Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Francis

Default The great Spark plug question?

Hi guy's I'm not sure if it' been said before (I did a search, but sorry if I missed it)

SO, I'm interested to compare what Brands or Spark Plugs you have either had really good experiences with or some that you may of had bad experiences with.

I’ve tried mostly the standard type, in Autolite, AC Delco, NGK, Denzo and Champion Gold. I know I'm going to get a hammering for this but I actually liked the Champion Gold plugs. They were made in the USA and seemed so strong and well built, but in saying that I have started using the Bosch Platinum’s that super cheap are pushing. I'm keen to try Iridium next but not sure what brand I should go for.

All thoughts welcome.

Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Jesk
certified nutter

I work as an apprentice mechanic, and we use bosch or NGK, everyone else at work have major disdain for champion plugs
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

In the experience of my cars, ive found iridiums to be pretty much a waste of money. In fact, in the case of my xr8's iridiums were worse. NGK's in AU's & Champion** in the Gal.

**Sorry, Autolite in the Gal.

Last edited by SSD-85; 10-11-2009 at 10:07 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

NGK and Brisk for me.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The Iridiums just last longer. Like platinums. There wont be any performance difference. They say the normal plugs are actually better in that regard.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Francis

I have never heard about Brisk, whats the go with them? Are they a dedicated higher quality plug?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Francis

How many KMS do you guy's reckon you would get out of a standard copper set in a BA BF XR8?

While I'm on that note, are there any truth to the stories that changing them on the Boss engines are a big job as most are seized in?
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i just replaced the plugs in my ute with another set of genuine ford . the old ones were still working fine but had done about 70 000km so i thought i`d shout it a new set. the originals were replaced at a bit over 70 000km as well.

just a tip.... when i went to remove the old plugs a couple of them were very tight in the threads. had me a bit worried as i gently worked them in and out a little at the time with plenty of WD40 till they came out.

i will not be leaving them as long between removals in future.
when i fitted the new plugs i mixed up a graphite paste using powered graphite and lanoline grease and painted it on the threads of the new plugs. hopefully that will help stop them from seizing in the future.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

NGK.

Champion are for mowers.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

mate if you want the right spark plug go for the NGK nothing but the best for own fords
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats wrong with Motorcraft ?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
charlie200
please insert coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis
How many KMS do you guy's reckon you would get out of a standard copper set in a BA BF XR8?

While I'm on that note, are there any truth to the stories that changing them on the Boss engines are a big job as most are seized in?
Boss engines are fine,its the 3v that has that problem. :
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

i use AC-Delco double platinums in my sprint..... cheap too at ~$6-$8 a pop
Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
ColourHide
Boooooost

The Iridiums last longer.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
xbcool
dazed&confused

NGK , haven't failed me yet

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #16
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had good results with Bosch Platinum’s
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
NGK.

Champion are for mowers.
you must hate your lawn mower
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie200
Boss engines are fine,its the 3v that has that problem. :

Amen to that.
Had ford do the spark plugs in a 3V BA LTD with 110,000klm; all of them came out no problem.

3 months later, thought I'd get the plugs done in a BF LTD with 52000klm (had a misfire on startup); car spent three days at the dealer, easy-outs didn't work and both heads had to come off, get machined and be refitted. Remarkably though, the heads and pistons looked pretty clean and the cylinders looked immaculate. Thankfully, it also fixed the startup misfire.
BTW, has anyone priced the 3V plugs from ford lately? You'll want to sit down when they tell you the price, and then times it by 8.

Quote: