Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default The rising cost of air travel....

I'm starting to investigate my next OS holiday, Cuba and perhaps Canada came to mind.

Ok... so what do you think the net told me a return trip to Havana was???

Geeze, I don't know QUANTAS or BA?... Wonder if Flight Centre will price match it, then knock $20 off the price???

That DISCOUNTED fare to North America seems pretty steep? Perhaps it includes a tax on us Aussies for having such a crap sense of humour?

If there were a bridge, it would be cheaper to drive!

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
pb02
inconceivable!

Something isn't right. I flew last year with my wife from Melbourne - LA - Miami - Lima(Peru) - Caracas(Venezuela) - Miami - LA -Melbourne.
Total cost for the two of us was approx. $4500
There have been some great deals to LA recently, just grab one of them and book the other flights separately.

I've found you really need to shop around a lot with airfares.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I know, this is obviously a 'technical glitch' in the system.

Hope you weren't thinking I was reaching for the credit card after doing these searches!

Just find it funny. Wonder if they actually generate any sales from these mistakes?

The return to Havana is a joke.. What's a round the world ticket cost first class?
Old 16-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What makes you think it was a mistake?

Try flying to New Zealand from Australia on Air France (via Paris) or CX (via HK) or whatever. Not every airline goes everywhere and most of these "cheap flight" sites are focused on only a small number of airlines.

To go to Cuba, fly to Mexico City or Rio or somewhere close and hop over from there, it will be a lot cheaper.

Use a travel agent, internet booking is only for people who know all about where they are going and want to save a small amount of money....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yes, I understand all that Flappist. I have found that the online sites are best used for popular city to city travel with minimal stop overs etc.

The net is the first step in any research I do, after that I use the services of a Travel agent.

Last year I quoted a flight online from Syd-Phnom Penh-Seoul and back to Sydney. Came back at around $4500 online.

Next day went to the local Flight Centre, and they found that the best way to do the trip was Syd-Seoul (24hr stop over)-Phnom Penh-Seoul (for work)-Syd. At a cost of $2200. Didn't take this option in the end as the 24hr stopover in Seoul would have validated, then voided my work Visa.

But having said that, Singapore's 'sale' of flights to North America starting at $9,333 surely can't be correct.
Old 16-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's all to do with the level of competition.

You can get a flight from Sydney to Auckland (or Christchurch) return for around $350. However try flying to Wellington and that price goes to around $600 + for no additional distance.

Reason being 8 or 9 airlines service the SYD/AKL or SYD/CHC route but only 2 airlines (Qantas and Air NZ) do the Wellington route
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I know, this is obviously a 'technical glitch' in the system.

Hope you weren't thinking I was reaching for the credit card after doing these searches!

Just find it funny. Wonder if they actually generate any sales from these mistakes?

The return to Havana is a joke.. What's a round the world ticket cost first class?
The screen dump you posted shows your first leg going via London...not the most cost efficient way of getting to Cuba.

There is great value to be had in round the world fares, explore this option if you have the travel time.

My ex-missus was a Fright Centre Manager, it is definitely worth seeing a GOOD travel agent and having all the options made available to you.

On line is ok, but a lot of airline specials are only made available to the bigger travel agencies. A real life case of "computer says NO, cough"

I reckon you will have a great holiday. Enjoy.
Old 19-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Wonder if they actually generate any sales from these mistakes?
I've seen quite a few sales generated from mistakes, but usually a mistake in the other direction (something dirt cheap, decimal in the wrong spot etc).

Just keep your eye out and the credit card on hand in case they make a mistake in your favour!

By the way - the ones I've seen aren't in the industry, usually stuff like computer components.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
The screen dump you posted shows your first leg going via London...not the most cost efficient way of getting to Cuba.

There is great value to be had in round the world fares, explore this option if you have the travel time.

My ex-missus was a Fright Centre Manager, it is definitely worth seeing a GOOD travel agent and having all the options made available to you.

On line is ok, but a lot of airline specials are only made available to the bigger travel agencies. A real life case of "computer says NO, cough"

I reckon you will have a great holiday. Enjoy.
Yeah, I agree regarding the GOOD travel agent. I have a friend up in QLD who works at a Flight Centre, she has fixed up a few flights and tours for the both of us, as we have very similar travel interests and comfort levels.

Regarding the Havana via London, that is what the site spat out by default funnily enough....

I'm now leaning towards spending 6 weeks in Europe doing my own thing, landing in Poland and flying out from Greece.

Some of the countries in between sound familier lol, should start my research by watching Hostel to know the type of people to not strike up a conversation with while on the train lol.
Old 19-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I've seen quite a few sales generated from mistakes, but usually a mistake in the other direction (something dirt cheap, decimal in the wrong spot etc).

Just keep your eye out and the credit card on hand in case they make a mistake in your favour!

By the way - the ones I've seen aren't in the industry, usually stuff like computer components.
I remember doing an online booking for a hostel in Latvia. Anyway, the decimal gremlin was in my favour, was meant to be 12 Lats / Euro a night and the time I booked had a week that had prices at 1.20.

I booked, then sent them an email telling them of the problem. It was the the least I could do seeing as the hostel was run by an Aussie and was named after me. I paid the difference on arrival.