Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Severe Weather Warning (VIC)

Taken from http://www.bom.gov.au/

Quote:
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Alpine Areas, Western, North Central, Northern Country, Wimmera, Mallee, Central, West and South Gippsland, East Gippsland and Northeast forecast districts.

Issued at 4:51 am EST on Tuesday 25 August 2009.

Weather Situation

A deep low pressure system over the Southern Ocean is generating a strong west to northwesterly airflow across Victoria. A vigorous cold front will move into western districts this afternoon, reach central districts later in the afternoon and pass over eastern Victoria early Wednesday.

Localised damaging winds averaging up to 60 km/h with peak gusts around 110 km/h are forecast for the Wimmera, Western and Alpine Areas forecast districts and parts of the North Central, Northern Country, Mallee, Central, West and South Gippsland, East Gippsland and Northeast forecast districts. Winds are currently easing in western districts and will ease in eastern districts by the afternoon. However winds will re-strengthening this afternoon from the west to average up to 65km/h with gusts to 110km/h as the cold front approaches Victoria. Wind gusts of 120km/h will be possible about elevated areas later today. Damaging wind gusts will be most likely about elevated areas and exposed coastal areas. Shower and thunderstorm activity also increases the potential for damaging wind gusts.

A wind gust to 115km/h has recently been recorded at Wilsons Promontory and to 109km/h at Falls Creek. Further gusts of around 90km/h have been recorded elsewhere in Alpine areas. A wind gust to 91km/h was recorded at Cape Nelson last night. Other exposed and elevated areas have recorded wind gusts of around 75/85 km/h.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

• People should not park or shelter under trees.
  • Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
  • For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next warning will be issued by 11:00 am EST Tuesday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300-659-217*.

The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

Be safe all

Keep your eyes open

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ninemsn says its heading over NSW and after last night I would believe it. Havent had wind that strong or fast for a VERY long time and it went virtually all night.

Park the car in the garage if you can!
Old 25-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ninemsn article

Quote:
Damaging winds gusting to 125km/h will blast across Victoria and NSW today as record-breaking temperatures continue to scorch Queensland.

Emergency services are expecting a flood of calls for assistance and have urged residents in the south-eastern states to prepare their homes and watercraft for the icy blast to come.

A severe weather warning is in place for much of Victoria as a strong cold front and an intense low pressure system loom west of the state.

Winds are expected to ease slightly in the morning, but will intensify later in the day as a strong cold front approaches, Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) senior forecaster James Taylor said.

"We're still seeing gusts up around 100km/h over the alps. We recently had a gust of 108km/h at Mount Buller," he said.

"At Cape Nelson, we've had gusts of 90km/h, probably associated with a shower or thunderstorm activity," he said.

The State Emergency Service (SES) took about 100 distress calls, mainly from the Melbourne metropolitan area, in the 24 hours to midnight (AEST) on Tuesday, spokesman Seamus Keogan told AAP.

"It's pretty quiet at the moment so we're just preparing for a busy day (on Tuesday)," he said.

Another strong cold front is expected to approach Victoria tomorrow.

The SES warned people to prepare for the winds by securing any loose objects around houses including children's playground equipment, trampolines and outdoor furniture and trimming trees and branches close to buildings.

NSW residents are also being urged people to stay indoors and scrap travel plans in areas expected to be worst affected by heavy winds today.

A strong cold front is expected to reach the NSW coast late in the morning, bringing with it gale force winds of up to 80km/h and a dive in temperatures.

Wind in mountainous regions could gust up to 125km/h, weather men say.

The Bureau of Meteorology issued an upgraded gale warning on last night for the most of the NSW coast, including Sydney.

It advised those in Alpine regions to stay inside.

"Emergency services advise you to keep clear of fallen power lines, stay indoors away from windows and keep children indoors," the bureau's warning says.

"The National Parks and Wildlife Service recommends that people consider postponing back country travel until conditions improve."

In Queensland, the fire danger remains extreme as record-breaking temperatures sweep across the state.

Although forecasters are not predicting the mercury to go past the record top temperatures seen yesterday, the state will continue swelter under extraordinarily high temperatures.

Brisbane recorded its hottest August on record with the temperature soaring to 35.4 degrees Celsius at about 4.20pm (AEST) yesterday.

Temperatures across the state have been about 10 degrees hotter than average the Bureau of Meteorology says.

Today the bureau is predicting winds to pick up, adding to the extreme fire danger that has prompted a total fire ban across the southern part of the state.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service commissioner Lee Johnson said the first real fire cycle for this year was expected during the next two days.

"(That means) no fires in the open. A gas fire barbecue is OK and anyone using machinery such as slashing grass should exercise extreme caution," Mr Johnson told reporters.

Anyone caught lighting a fire during a fire ban will face six months in prison or a $5000 fine.
what a contrast we here in VIC /lower N.S.W copping storms ect and QLD is getting 35 deg days and on high fire alert

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Been windy here since yesterday. Still is now. Hope it doesn't get much worse cause it sounds like effort.
Old 25-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's as calm as a dead sea here right now in Bendigo, we had some wind late yesterday arvo that was very mild aswell for this time of yr but nothing today.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well we here in geelong are about to get some decent rain and the wind is blowing hard as well

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft. It's already passed over us here in Adelaide. You don't hear us complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOM
Adelaide Forecast
Issued at 11:30 am CST on Tuesday 25 August 2009

Warning Summary
A Severe Weather Warning is current.
A Road Weather Alert is current.
A Gale Warning is current for Metropolitan Waters.

Forecast for Tuesday
Windy with showers, heavy at times, easing to a shower or two during the
evening. Cool with fresh to strong northwest to west winds, becoming strong and
gusty west to southwesterly during the afternoon, before gradually moderating
during the evening.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Pfft. It's already passed over us here in Adelaide. You don't hear us complaining!
not complaining just giving people a heads up as to what is coming that is all

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

It 'snowed' last night here in Mount Barker. There was extreme hail (not in size but volume), my back yard resembled something you'd expect to see in the middle of a Swiss Winter. Actually looked pretty cool.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
It 'snowed' last night here in Mount Barker. There was extreme hail (not in size but volume), my back yard resembled something you'd expect to see in the middle of a Swiss Winter. Actually looked pretty cool.
Well you need to post a pic for us !!!
Old 25-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well as I was reading this sure enough winds and rain have just started.

Ah its been a pretty tame winter anyway.

EDIT: Actually im going to take that back, damn, 10 mins after original post and its a bloody gale out there! Thats the strongest ive seen it in a while.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 25-08-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
not complaining just giving people a heads up as to what is coming that is all

Jason
I missed the in my post :P

Funny thing is after I posted the forecast above for Adelaide, I checked out how much rain we've had... 2.0mm in the CBD. Yep, that's real wet weather here! :
Old 25-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Well the shop next to my work put their umbrella's up when the wind started picking up and guess what happened... One snapped and the only thing stopping it from flying onto the road hitting a passing car was the other umbrella. And i was the only one trying to close the damn thing while they watched on.... They did end up comming out too. How nice.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
TZENU
XY Driv3r

well that was an interesting drive home!!!
Old 25-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was driving along Eastlink around Dandenong and had to pull over. First, switched the wipers to full and then it got worse - I couldn't see at 90 km/h - there were about another 10 cars nearby pulled over because of the weather. I can't recall the last time I've had to do that - if ever. The ice cold rain blowing into my back while filling up the car wasn't too good either
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a wild country we live in, up here in Brisbane we smashed the August highest temp. with 35.4 Degrees. Still here in BNE atm it 25 degrees.
Old 25-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats madness, btw the rain etc has completely stopped. Just a bit chilly out.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
What a wild country we live in, up here in Brisbane we smashed the August highest temp. with 35.4 Degrees. Still here in BNE atm it 25 degrees.
Dam thats hot for this time of the year.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Severe Weather Warning for damaging winds

not to bad here at the moment ie minimal wind and no rain but this is still the current warning

taken from bom

Quote:
Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Alpine Areas, Western, North Central, Wimmera, Central, West and South Gippsland and East Gippsland forecast districts.

Issued at 3:40 am EST on Wednesday 26 August 2009.
Weather Situation

Another cold front will move across Tasmania and Bass Strait Wednesday afternoon, maintaining strong to gale force west to northwest winds across southern Victoria.

Damaging winds averaging 60 km/h with peak gusts around 110 km/h are forecast for the Western forecast districts and parts of the Alpine, Wimmera, North Central, Central, West and South Gippsland and East Gippsland forecast districts.

The severe weather warning for the Northeast forecast district has been cancelled.

With Wednesday cold front now east of Victoria, winds have moderated overnight, although wind gusts of 90 to 100 km/h are occasionally being reported with showers about exposed coastal areas and at higher locations on the ranges.

Winds will again increase this afternoon with the approach of the next cold front although damaging winds will not be as wide spread as yesterday and should mainly affect coastal and elevated areas in the south.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

* People should not park or shelter under trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Beware of fallen trees or debris on the road.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I flew from Melbourne to adelaide and back yesterday and there were record winds in Melbourne! So on the way back pilot said we had a tailwind of 200km/h, and when we got to melbourne (around 5 pm ish) a weather front was blowing through on the ground at 130km/h!! So we stayed up circling high up for over half an hour waiting for the weather to move on! When I got out of the airport buildings there were branches everywhere, even a taxi had a tree that fell on its bonnet! I'm glad the pilots dont ignore the weather warnings they must be getting from the airport towers!!

At one point the pilot said something like "we will attempt to land soon, so will hopefully be on the ground in 5 minutes"!! Very encouraging, was a bit rough up there too! No problems though, pilot also said "there are high winds etc, but dont worry as the plane is built for these sorts of conditions"!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

200km/h tailwind.. nice.. and it's true.. planes are built for extreme weather..
Old 26-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a deal.....

You stop sending your caravans and 4WDs up here and we will stop sending our summer weather down there.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Here is a deal.....

You stop sending your caravans and 4WDs up here and we will stop sending our summer weather down there.........
Love your style Flappy :
Old 26-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
GUTLES
Adam.

Was the worst weather I've ever driven in last night, wasn't too bad when I first left work, turned off the hwy & it started to hail, turned into another road, but my Bravo into second gear slowing down & it stepped out, the next 2km was driven so slowly, the hail was like snow, was sliding all over the shop @ under 30km all the way. Looked like snow when I got out of my ute too, was about 3" up against my garage door..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #25
Suvo
BA Fairmont Ghia X

Went out to my car last night and it had a good layer of ice on it, came home took a handfull off the side of the windscreen and 2 hours later it was still melting in the sink.
2002 BA Fairmont GHIA X, Now 230kw 3V V8 + ZF 6sp (Semi retired)
1994 Land Rover Discovery 1 3.9 Manual (Bush hack)
1992 DC LTD, 5L (Daily)
1979 ZJ Fairlane, Sno White (Gone but not forgotten)
1979 P6 LTD Town Car, Clevo goodness
Suvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #26
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
200km/h tailwind.. nice.. and it's true.. planes are built for extreme weather..
Yep! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI
Old 27-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
That is insane
Old 27-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #28
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats great! Beautiful!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s&feature=fvw

Some even sillier ones. Especially the Korean 747 and a couple of the togas.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s&feature=fvw

Some even sillier ones. Especially the Korean 747 and a couple of the togas.
The king of crosswind landings

Wing scrape and TOGA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjn6qyJvlU
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post