Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Painting calipers - quick question

Just a quickie - do I need to take the pads out of the caliper before I start painting???

Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Just a quickie - do I need to take the pads out of the caliper before I start painting???
No, but cover them if you don't want paint on them.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

It'd probably be easier and neater if you did it buy taking the whole caliper off the car.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When I painted mine,
I took of the pads,
Left the brake hose on,
put the calpier in a bucket and gave it a good clean,
let it dry then sprayed away.

Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave them on there.

Give the whole caliper a good clean, let it dry.
Grab a plastic shopping and cover the whole rotor, caliper area.
Make a small tear in the plastic shopping bag, big enough to expose the caliper and spray away.
You will only get a little paint on the back of the brake pad.

Move onto the next one.

Last edited by HOTC2R; 05-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

i'll be doing mine before fitting up... just for the ease of it... :P
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its easier if u remove the pads, but if i was u, u aswell just undo the break lines remove the calipers, paint them and give your breaks some fresh new fluid.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

I left mine on, but that was purely because I wasnt too sure how to get them off and back on. Didnt really want to risk not having brakes lol mine came up alright though.

The plastic shopping bag and masking tape works well, I only got a little bit of paint on my pads and that was it.

I dont know how I will do it for my new car, if I learn how to get the calipers and pads off and get them back on I would probably take them off to do the job thoroughly..
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpdau
I left mine on, but that was purely because I wasnt too sure how to get them off and back on. Didnt really want to risk not having brakes lol mine came up alright though.

The plastic shopping bag and masking tape works well, I only got a little bit of paint on my pads and that was it.

I dont know how I will do it for my new car, if I learn how to get the calipers and pads off and get them back on I would probably take them off to do the job thoroughly..

Its not that hard mate just jack it up, take the wheel off stick your head over the brakes, there is 2 bolts attached to one of the arms i think it is, They bolt up to the caliper (u will know what im on about when u see it), remove the 2 bolts, tap the caliper a few times with a rubber mallet, and it will drop off the rotor, the brake pads will just push out of the caliper. Paint the caliper and reverse what u just did. If u wanna remove the caliper completely just undo the brake line, Just means u will need to bleed your brakes when u put them back on. The Calipers pull into 2 peaces aswell so makes it easier to paint.

51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

im sooo thinking about doing this but after i upgrade the brakes to S2 or 3 ones and id paint them b4 i put them on the car