Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Police Investigate AC/DC Online Ticket Sales

Police Investigate AC/DC Online Ticket Sales
http://www.bravewords.com/news/117153

The Courier-Mail has issued the following report from Sarah Vogler:

least 40 online ticket sales are being investigated as the Queensland Police Service's Property Crime Investigation Unit closes in on illegal scalping.

The Sunday Mail revealed last month that hundreds of tickets to megaband AC/DC's concerts were being sold illegally at inflated prices on online auction site eBay.

Tickets to concerts at Queensland sporting stadiums are not allowed to be re-sold for more than 10 per cent above the purchase price.

A Queensland Police Service spokeswoman said scalpers selling PINK tickets were also being investigated by the service's Property Crime Investigation Unit (PCIU).

"Currently there are over 40 investigations under way regarding ticket scalping of the AC/DC and Pink concerts," she said.

Read more at The Courier-Mail. http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...4-3102,00.html

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Brilliant.

I loathe scalpers. No problem is something comes up and you can't make the event and you sell a ticket for face value but scalping burns my bum.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Why is it so bad? If somebody is willing to pay the price of the inflated ticket, good on them.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
Why is it so bad? If somebody is willing to pay the price of the inflated ticket, good on them.
i agree with you to a large extent. there should be a way of limiting the number of tickets anyone can buy. once you have yours though, why can you not sell it for what someone wants to pay - just like a car really. if you wanted one that bad, put in the effort and buy one before everyone does

as an example, if my footy team made a grand final, why should the law tell me, what i can pay to see a once in a lifetime event. i would miss out because someone else put their money on the table at the start of the year or took the time to ring a radio station and they are not allowed to sell to me and make a profit - what a load of crap
Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the issue is that people will buy tickets with no intention of attending - only to sell the tickets for an inflated price.

Why should people be able to get tickets to an event they care nothing about while people who actually do care miss out?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
So what your saying is the person at the front of the queue can buy all the tickets then turn around to the person behind him and sell them for double well i would call that person a self centered ar*e hole
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
So what your saying is the person at the front of the queue can buy all the tickets then turn around to the person behind him and sell them for double well i would call that person a self centered ar*e hole
i agree with you on this one

Bloody tickets are costly enough without people being self centred and making a profit on a ticket/s

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the above posts show why the quantity any one person can buy in a transaction should be limited - i feel, if someone wants to camp out for three days then good luck to them - but of course there should be a limited amount so that everyone has a realistic chance of purchasing them

similar to afl grand final tickets. i know someone who back in the 90's sponsored 2 players at $1500 each. with that came grand final tickets whether her club was participating or not. if she has done the hard yards either in paying up front or camping out, then she should have been able to sell at what ever price she wanted. of course she was limited to 1 or 2 for each package though. but anyone could have done it, but none wanted tickets that bad until it was too late to do anything
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
But the issue is that people will buy tickets with no intention of attending - only to sell the tickets for an inflated price.

Why should people be able to get tickets to an event they care nothing about while people who actually do care miss out?
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I miss out on premium seats because I have commitments and work for a living, instead.. I can pay 10 times as much to some scoundrel whos 'profession' is to stand in a queue and be the middle man to the middle man to get a premium seat.

That person isn't providing the venue or the entertainment. They're profiting solely on their ability to be in a queue... and making more profit per ticket than the venue or the entertainment.

That sounds right?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

****es promoters off too, as people are making more money on the sale of a ticket then they are.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The simple solution is to issue all tickets to major events on a per person basis that requires photo ID.

Just like 99% of everything else these days.

No more scalping ever.....
Old 14-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #12
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Tickets to major concerts are more often than not, limited to 4 to 8 tickets per person.

With Decembers Green Day concert even if you go and pay for a ticket tomorrow you will not be issued with the actual ticket til November. (creating a last minute scalp-athon) :P
Old 14-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #13
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Brilliant.

I loathe scalpers. No problem is something comes up and you can't make the event and you sell a ticket for face value but scalping burns my bum.
Supply and demand.

It's no different than any other form of capitalism. Except ticketek pounced at the market first.
Old 14-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #14
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

I understand that issue. The bloke here owns a pizza shop and has no intentions in consuming the goods he produces, only to sell the goods for an inflated price.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
TX3VIL

I lined up for rage against the machine tickets 2 years ago, and i was 10th in line, camping in line from 5:30am, the doors opened at 7:00. The first 3 people in the line got their tickets, albeit maybe 6 tickets per person maximum and the rest of the queue was told that the entire concert had sold out, IN 5 MINUTES FLAT. Straight away we looked on ebay, while still standing in line and ebay was swamped with tickets for the concert asking over $100 more than the sale price. WTF MAN! scalpers should be shot, they're the scum of the earth.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I understand that issue. The bloke here owns a pizza shop and has no intentions in consuming the goods he produces, only to sell the goods for an inflated price.
That's not even in the same ballpark as being comparable.

You're describing the ticket vendor - not the clown buying tickets for the express purpose of on-selling them at a premium price.
Old 19-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I dont see a problem with it. The world revolves around people buying something, and selling for more. As for Concert tickets, , you should be able to register to purchase concert tickets in advnace so there isnt a rush on the day.

Ticketec's website and servers are hopeless and everytime they crash when a big event goes on sale. We have 4 computers with different IP adresses on the day, with each PC running 4 different browsers ! It took 40 minutes for the page to refresh and confirm. I hate ticketec. Why cant they spend some money and get a decent system

( Oh and from what I have read and heard, I must have been VERY lucky. )

I managed to get 21 tickets for a group of us going to the Brisbane concert, , its going to rock !

Craig
Old 19-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
I dont see a problem with it. The world revolves around people buying something, and selling for more. As for Concert tickets, , you should be able to register to purchase concert tickets in advnace so there isnt a rush on the day.

Ticketec's website and servers are hopeless and everytime they crash when a big event goes on sale. We have 4 computers with different IP adresses on the day, with each PC running 4 different browsers ! It took 40 minutes for the page to refresh and confirm. I hate ticketec. Why cant they spend some money and get a decent system

( Oh and from what I have read and heard, I must have been VERY lucky. )

I managed to get 21 tickets for a group of us going to the Brisbane concert, , its going to rock !

Craig
If, due to Ticketek's servers going down, it allowed people who had no plans to see AC/DC, buy up a huge chunk of tickets causing you to miss out on purchasing tickets... and your only option was to pay 5 times face value from a scalper to see the show, you'd still have no problem with it?

You must earn more than me because I'd be pretty peeved about it.
Closed Thread