Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Hopefully not another A330 mishap

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...91-661,00.html

AN Airbus A330-200 that took off from Paris with 147 passengers on board has disappeared between Yemen and Comoros, an airport source says.

The plane, operated by Yemen's state carrier Yemenia Air, was going to Moroni on the main island of Grand Comore.

The official said most of the passengers on the plane were believed to be Comoros residents returning from Paris.

The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.

"We don't know if there are any survivors among the 150 people on the plane," Comoros vice-president Idi Nadhoim said from the airport at the main island's capital Moroni.

Nadhoim said the accident happened in the early hours of today, but could not give any more details.

The location was not immediately known, but a medical worker in the town of Mitsamiouli, on the main island Grande Comore, said he had been called into the local hospital.

"They have just called me to come to the hospital. They said a plane had crashed," he told Reuters.

A Comoran police source said the plane was believed to have come down in the sea.

"We really have no sea rescue capabilities," he said.

The Comoros covers three small volcanic islands, Grande Comore, Anjouan and Moheli, in the Mozambique channel, 300km northwest of Madagascar and a similar distance east of the African mainland.

gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Oh no - Not good at all. :(
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

I wish journos would check the sources before starting mass hysteria over things like aircraft type. That Airline doesn't even operate the A330

They operate the A310. It is like saying an FG Falcon was in a crash when it was an EA Falcon.

They love a Qantas bash as much as Gover loikes a Ford bash!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Apparently it has crashed.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/plane...0630-d3ct.html
Old 30-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not good for airbus

my heart goes out to those on board and their families

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I wish journos would check the sources before starting mass hysteria over things like aircraft type. That Airline doesn't even operate the A330

They operate the A310. It is like saying an FG Falcon was in a crash when it was an EA Falcon.

They love a Qantas bash as much as Gover loikes a Ford bash!!
They have based it on the info provided.... and what they have found on the web.
Quote:
The airline, which is 51 per cent owned by the Yemeni government and 49 per cent owned by the Saudi Arabian government, flies to Moroni, according to flight schedules on its website.

Its fleet includes two Airbus 330-200s, four Airbus 310-300s and four Boeing 737-800s, according to the site.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
not good for airbus

my heart goes out to those on board and their families

Jason
You can't blame Airbus for this. The plane is probably delivered around 1990. An old plane that has probably been at at least 1 other airline and has been in a third world country now.

Old 30-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
They have based it on the info provided.... and what they have found on the web.
But they didn't guess the Boeing 737 either. Airbus provides more milage at the moment

Journalism is more about reporting what you read on the web. Just ask Richard Wilkins after he reported Jeff Goldblum dead the other day!!!!

Old 30-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can't blame Airbus for this. The plane is probably delivered around 1990. An old plane that has probably been at at least 1 other airline and has been in a third world country now.
i am not blaming AIRBUS for the plane going down that side of things falls into the hands of the opperator but it is the fact that the aircraft is an airbus and that would not be good for any manufacturer

Just a thought

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
i am not blaming AIRBUS for the plane going down that side of things falls into the hands of the opperator but it is the fact that the aircraft is an airbus and that would not be good for any manufacturer

Just a thought

Jason
That was a more "generic" you than a "personal" you.

The media drives me crazy with the way they grab these things and start asking is X or Y safe?

Old 30-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That was a more "generic" you than a "personal" you.

The media drives me crazy with the way they grab these things and start asking is X or Y safe?
probably more so the fact that i greive for those on board

i have family that fly the world as well as those that work on both AIRBUS and BOEING aircraft and it scares the hell out of me that they may be implimented in the reason that an aircraft come down it really does

the family that i have in the industry sighn off on work done so i have reson at least i think i do to be worried

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again, my thoughts and condolances are with those families. Its the again part of that sentence that is worrying.

I am a frequent flyer, and know absolutely that I have more chance of being in a traffic accident getting to the airport, than an inflight mishap. But there has been a spate of Airbus accidents lately that has you second guessing. It must be the same as Commodores aren't inherently dangerous, its just that there are a lot of them, and a lot of young blokes also like them which is why they are so commonly involved in crashes. I hope this is the case with Airbus - ie there are a lot of them - so statistically they will always feature prominately.

Over the past few years I have flown on many Airbuses (mainly A330) without incident. Yet looking at my upcomming 2 month itinerary with 1 Boeing and 7 Airbuses, I kind of wish it was the other way around.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Over the past few years I have flown on many Airbuses (mainly A330) without incident. Yet looking at my upcomming 2 month itinerary with 1 Boeing and 7 Airbuses, I kind of wish it was the other way around.
If the planes are properly maintained then you shouldn't have a problem.

If there is a problem with this model aircraft (not saying there is) you would be sure that the reputable airlines will ground them.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if all these crashes lately are a result of cost cutting due to the gfc.

"We really have no sea rescue capabilities," he said.

Not good at all .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read it was a result of bad weather. However, I am interested to find out the chain of events that actually brought the plane down. It's never one thing that brings a plane down, it's the sequence that follows.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Agreed, even though im a Boeing Fan and previously viewed Airbus differently I feel there is nothing wrong with Airbus imo. I believe these manufacturers have a luck of the draw with which airline companies buy there planes and how there safety and engineering is carried out. I guess people would still have a question mark on the A330..even though it wasnt in the recent tragedy. (my thoughts and condolances are with those families).

Working for Emirates in brisbane i see alot of the Boeing 777-300ER and the Airbus A340-500, both planes are as good as eachother imo...(but the 777 has a clean record from what ive heard). I dont know much of the A340-500's history, but i havent heard any issues from that model thus far.

Virgin Blue and Qantas have been doing an excellent job with their 737 fleet.
As have Jetstar and Tiger have been with their A320 fleet. Im sure if that would stay the same if the airlines switched models with eachother.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They found a survivor

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/831...hes-into-ocean
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post