Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Connex.....DUMPED!

Good riddance you fools.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...94-661,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
CONNEX has been dumped as Melbourne's train operator, while Yarra Trams has lost its contract to run the city's trams. In a major shock, both transport operators were dumped with French group Keolis to run Melbourne's trams while Hong Kong's MTR will run trains.

Premier John Brumby announced the decision this morning, and MTR will take over the operation of the train network from December.

"They submitted bids that show they had the experience and expertise to deliver improved train and tram services in Melbourne," Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky said.

Keolis spokeswoman Maryanne Graham said the company would focus on customers, and punctuatity and reliability.

The Government has said it wants a new Melbourne-themed brand for the train network.

Three groups, Connex and Keolis from France, and MTR from Hong Kong, submitted their bids in April.

Keolis also submitted a bid to run the tram network, but the Government previously said the same company would not be given both contracts.

The tender process was rocked by the leak of confidential Connex documents that were supposed to have been secure.

News that the Connex parent company, Veolia, was interested in buying a stake of the Yarra Trams parent, Transdev, held up the announcement.

The reputation of Connex has suffered a battering, particularly during the summer meltdown and the Oaks Day debacle last year.

But the company has recently turned in its best performance in five years, with just 25 trains cancelled last week.
Next thing to fix up is Vline who have worse stats than Connex could even manage.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats good to hear, I might jump back on the trains after all.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
balthazarr

PFFT... I doubt any operator could bring the trains up to scratch ie. a world-beating (or at least matching) standard.

My understanding is there'd have to be a tonne of money spent on infrastructure to make any real improvements.

Quote:
... Keolis spokeswoman Maryanne Graham said the company would focus on customers, and punctuatity and reliability. ...
I'll give you my cynical interpretation of what that means:

1. Focus on customers = more inspectors acting even more agro, with less tolerance than before.

2. Focus on punctuality = run less frequent services so that the few services that are running may be able to arrive/depart on time.

3. Focus on reliability = Reliably deliver average performance so in good months we can trumpet it out loud and in bad months - well, it won't look so bad in comparison to the average.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Interesting choice of thread topic, as it's ultimately politically based. Would connex be so if Labor had made considerable investments over the past 10 years?

And when Kennett scrapped a lot of the infrastructure, it was a different time then. Labor's ridden on the boom times of the late 90s to now (let's say pre-GFC), times where the scrapped infrastructure could not only have been replaced, but upgraded.

Connex sucks, but Labor's public transport minister Lynne Kosky sucks more.

Note: I'm not pro-liberal, although I would be if they could get their act together!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Interesting choice of thread topic, as it's ultimately politically based. Would connex be so if Labor had made considerable investments over the past 10 years?

And when Kennett scrapped a lot of the infrastructure, it was a different time then. Labor's ridden on the boom times of the late 90s to now (let's say pre-GFC), times where the scrapped infrastructure could not only have been replaced, but upgraded.

Connex sucks, but Labor's public transport minister Lynne Kosky sucks more.

Note: I'm not pro-liberal, although I would be if they could get their act together!
I don't want this turning into a political BS thread at all, we all know what's going on there and we don't need to discuss it here.

Connex really were poor though. Fair enough the infrastructure and rolling stock is a joke but there are ways of dealing with things. Connex failed to deal with anything well.
Old 25-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well, what I'm getting at is if its background is in all the political BS, then maybe Connex's hands were tied?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Im not from Melbourne and have no idea about your infrastructure, but if MTR are as good in Aus as they are in Hong Kong, you'll have a good system. The system in Hong Kong is unreal!!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

can only improve!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Funny thing:
my friend works in the construction industry and recently was demolishing an old pub in Melboure, they found a newspaper form early 1900 and first page story was about how bad public transport is!

haha

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

explain why melbourne airport doesnt have a rail system linked to it like all other major citys?

the transport here comparied to 3rd world countries needs a big kick in the ***
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised no noes sticking up for connex?

People on this forum usually have a habit of taking the unreasonable side in topics like this.
Old 25-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Met
Hillside and Bayside
Connex.

Name one of those controlling bodies that people have been satisfied with service-wise?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I'm surprised no noes sticking up for connex?

People on this forum usually have a habit of taking the unreasonable side in topics like this.
Are you serious? Maybe you want to try having a look at their stats and the debacle they caused over summer. Then have a look at the way they react and the fact that they continually fail to inform commuters of service changes.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wait guys, they gave out iceypoles!

come to think of it, deodorant would have been more applicable.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

this shurly pail's in comparison to state rail (NSW)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
paul84

Meh, I see it as different coloured trains and few staff turned over. United still have the maintenance contract. Just a shuffle of the chairs. Back around in a circle we go.

Privatising anything just takes the flak off the government and making a hell of a lot of money for a private venture, seems to be working well. What needs to be done is bring it back to the public.

However, we can atleast hope for the best.
paul84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quick question and a little off topic, but in regards to melbournes inner city/tram network..what the hell are hook turns and how do they benefit anybody? I'm just curious...

Oh and if Adelaide could lift their game train-wise.... Just a hint trans-Adelaide, but there's a reason I walked everywhere before I was licenced, and didn't catch a train.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
cycle myth

1. Hook turns allow 2 lanes of straight through traffic to get through the intersection without hold of of right turners (they are good when you are used to them)

2. Back on topic - as a regular train user Connex were crap and deserve in not having their contract renewed

Now just get rid of the current government and things may have a chance to progress.

I have used many (read 30+) public rail systems from other countries - our is one of the worst!!

We need a rocket up our ...............

Lets wake up.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Just wonder how much more this change is going to cost the Victorian taxpayer, who is already paying too much subsidising the rail and public transport system. Eg Myki, the new ticketing system, what a debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Next thing to fix up is Vline who have worse stats than Connex could even manage.
Everyone I know who travel on Vline from Sunbury reckon its far superior to Connex. In fact most here in Sunbury are up in arms about the proposal to electrify the railway and transfer to Connex ( or the new mob).
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Just wonder how much more this change is going to cost the Victorian taxpayer, who is already paying too much subsidising the rail and public transport system. Eg Myki, the new ticketing system, what a debacle.

Everyone I know who travel on Vline from Sunbury reckon its far superior to Connex. In fact most here in Sunbury are up in arms about the proposal to electrify the railway and transfer to Connex ( or the new mob).
While Vline is superior to connex the delay rate isn't. I travel in from Ballarat 5 days a week during peak times and I can't even remember now how many times I've been delayed by 45 minutes to an hour due to "signal faults" or "train faults" or when they forget they need a train or a driver.

I'm serious on that last one too, had a Vline customer service person (they're better than Connex by far) actually admit a few times that control had forgotten us.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

vline isn't that bad, at least the trains usually run, even if they're short-carriaged and turn up late.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
vline isn't that bad, at least the trains usually run, even if they're short-carriaged and turn up late.
Yeah but aren't you out Geelong way? Bloody Geelong always gets looked after compared to us :

Even the Bendigo line fares better.
Old 25-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Can I be the bearer of bad news having had worked for Connex I can tell you the only thing that change is the uniform and the stickers on the side of the train. It's exactly the same drivers, signallers, managers, fitters, ticket inspectors etc

All that changes is the uniform and the stickers.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Im not from Melbourne and have no idea about your infrastructure, but if MTR are as good in Aus as they are in Hong Kong, you'll have a good system. The system in Hong Kong is unreal!!
Absolutely...
I was in HKG in March this year and their train system was fantastic. We needed to change 3 lines to get to our destination one day and the longest wait was no more than 2 mins. They were all clean too.
I am a devout public transport hater here in Melb and avoid it at all costs.
Old 26-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
explain why melbourne airport doesnt have a rail system linked to it like all other major citys?
Adelaide's airport doesn't either.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #26
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Also just so everyone knows there Hong Kong system which is brand new and custom built runs at 99% HOWEVER their system in the UK which is old rolling stock and old stations etc like our system they constantly fall below the set bench marks and have had to pay compensation multiple times.

Previously:
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Good riddance you fools.

What more do you want?
You got a lovely nice new station at Wendouree and a train service to boot!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
What more do you want?
You got a lovely nice new station at Wendouree and a train service to boot!
They've made me wait in the cold for the train now :
Old 27-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

With it whole 16 services a day lol

Previously: