Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
boxy351

Default Your opinions on the 2008 LV XR5 Turbo

Hi there Guys my Mrs is seriously thinking of buying a new Focus XR5 by new I mean 2008 model.
Can you please let us know any faults you mat know about.

I would like to know about these:

1. The seats are they comfortable or after while not?
2. Fuel Economy any good? depending on right foot?
3. Servicing is it expensive?
4. How much room for back passengers?
5. Road noise how much?
6. Stereo is it good?
7. Tyres how often need changing? (right foot again)
8. Resale how do they compare?

Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Boxy

Old 29-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy351
Hi there Guys my Mrs is seriously thinking of buying a new Focus XR5 by new I mean 2008 model.
Can you please let us know any faults you mat know about.

I would like to know about these:

5. Road noise how much?
6. Stereo is it good?

Thanks in Advance
Cheers
Boxy
I test drove one on wednesday,Leather recaros are great,in both comfort and looks,not sure about the cloth.Stereo is actually very good for what it is.However i am still waiting until the new model,as i am not the biggest fan of the interior,its a huge improvement and is above average.But..i am very picky.
Old 29-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
boxy351

Hi Jweb,

Thanks very much for your comments why dont they have cruise control??
I think the Mrs will test drive to suss out what she thinks but thanks again.

Cheers
Boxy
Old 29-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Hi Jweb,

Thanks very much for your comments why dont they have cruise control??
I think the Mrs will test drive to suss out what she thinks but thanks again.

Cheers
Boxy
It was a compatibility problem between the Volvo ECU and Cruise control system I believe. Could be wrong though!! I know it was a compatibility issue.
They have a solution now, they just havent been bothered to roll it out to the focus
Old 29-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

4. How much room for back passengers? Cloth rear Recaros only have 2 rear seat I think?
8. Resale how do they compare? Cheapest one I've seen for sale was $26000 so around 10k after 3 years.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

The leather has only 2 rear seats, the cloth has 3.

Didn't bother me. One less free-loader to carry around.
The only main difference I know of between leather and cloth is the leather has a part of the seat that slides out under your knees for long trips cloth doesn't have that.

Oh, the leather's heated too. Awesome on cold mornings!!

The lack of cruise control doesn't really bother me. I don't really feel the necessity if it.

To me it's all about how it drives. A few weeks after I bought mine I got to take it through kangaroo valley down moss vale road and it was magic. It's such a great car though corners.

The sound of the engine at full tilt is addictive too, so are the little pops and bangs it makes from the exhaust as it over fuels during gear changes under hard acceleration.

I could probably prattle on all day about how much I love my XR5.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
It was a compatibility problem between the Volvo ECU and Cruise control system I believe. Could be wrong though!! I know it was a compatibility issue.
They have a solution now, they just havent been bothered to roll it out to the focus
It obviously has been fixed. My XR5 Mondeo has cruise control.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
5. Road noise how much?
6. Stereo is it good?
In response to your questions:
1. The seats are great - even when driving all day. The cloth seats aren't as good as the leather, but they are still pretty good. If i had the chance again, I'd go with leather.
2. Fuel economy - depends entirely on your right foot. You could get into the 10s if you were gentle.
3. Can't comment yet - I've only done 4000km in mine.
4. About average for a hatch. Nobody can fit behind me because I'm a giant though.....
5. Not too bad - no worse than my BA XR6 was.
6. The stereo is really good for stock and the voice commands are a neat feature.
7 and 8. Can't comment.....

All in all, I love my XR5 - it's easy to drive, comfortable, goes stops and handles superbly - it is a truly fantastic car. I completely agree with Tj-Zetec - the engine note and the pops and burble from the exhaust is addictive : .
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
boxy351

Thankyou so much for everyones input I'm a MAD Ford fan so I was pleased to take one for a spin with my Mrs.
Ok my impression & opinions.

Front seats are TERRIBLE far to narrow I'm 6ft 2 115kg far to small for me i felt.
Gearbox was awesome loved it.
Power: We had 3 adults in this little car & it hauled *** I was more than impressed & I own GT Falcons.

Would I buy one?? If they got rid of the seats & put cruise control then I would think about it.

So the Mrs is not keen.

Thanks guys .......
Old 29-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Front seats are TERRIBLE far to narrow I'm 6ft 2 115kg far to small for me i felt.
Interesting that you say that..... I'm a bit taller than you but about the same weight and I found them to be snug but still really comfortable (narrower admittedly than in the Falcon I had before), but they certainly hold you in place well when cornering and don't become uncomfortable during all day drives.

Maybe have a look at the Mondeo XR5? It has cruise control and the seats aren't as sporty as the Focus XR5.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
FRIKA
FRIKA

You can get aftermarket cruise control. so its no big deal. i was originally ****ed that it didnt have it but knwowing you can get one my wife was happy
Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Interesting that you say that..... I'm a bit taller than you but about the same weight and I found them to be snug but still really comfortable (narrower admittedly than in the Falcon I had before), but they certainly hold you in place well when cornering and don't become uncomfortable during all day drives.

Maybe have a look at the Mondeo XR5? It has cruise control and the seats aren't as sporty as the Focus XR5.
I found the seats in my XR5 Focus to be to restrictive and uncomfortable. I'm 6ft and about 108kg's.

Seats in the Mondeo with the flatter bolster's is far better. Lets us big blokes spill a little over at the sides.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I think the seats are great but I'm 5ft nothin and have the build of a weed.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
It obviously has been fixed. My XR5 Mondeo has cruise control.
its always been on the mondeo, which uses a different ECU to the focus xr5.

2 completely different types of car and engineering.

there are 2 real reasons why the cruise was and is not in the focus, 1 ford did not and do no want to at this point put it in. as AUS is a minority when selling these cars and Europe the majority, their marketing and research determined that the Focus did not need the cruise because of its design and intended demographic. also not many people in Europe drive far distances as we do. thats the initial reason its not on the focus. due to this reason they did not care to develop the cruise control for the focus and therefore its not compatible.

The mondeo on the other hand is and was designed to be a long haul cruiser, basically a highway traveller, so hence why it got all the fancy gizmos and the cruise control, also thats why its missing the turbo guages and the plumbing pipe into the cabin, you dont get that sound from the mondeo as you do the focus, well not as much anywho.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I found the seats in my XR5 Focus to be to restrictive and uncomfortable. I'm 6ft and about 108kg's.

Seats in the Mondeo with the flatter bolster's is far better. Lets us big blokes spill a little over at the sides.
I am 6ft 3 and found the leather recaros great,head room is reasonable as well.That said i cannot recall how the mondeo seats felt.
In my Prelude,i am mm away from roof,but its worth it i love that car.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

The mondeo on the other hand is and was designed to be a long haul cruiser, basically a highway traveller, so hence why it got all the fancy gizmos and the cruise control, also thats why its missing the turbo guages and the plumbing pipe into the cabin, you dont get that sound from the mondeo as you do the focus, well not as much anywho.
The Focus XR5 HAS the autobahn version of cruise control called Flat-to-the-Floor!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #17
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The Focus XR5 HAS the autobahn version of cruise control called Flat-to-the-Floor!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
mudwaa

Just got home from test driving one. The manager stayed back to go through the paperwork to order me one in Orange. Ive gone with the cloth trim as ive never been a fan of leather. Sad to see the Zetec go though as i absolutely love it. Looks like a call to whiteline again for swaybars tho and lowered springs and..........
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
boxy351

Thanks guys interesting comments this is the way I see it. If your going to spend $40k on a new car no matter how good it looks its got to be comfortable.
I agree with Bucknaked I rather be comfortable than squashed into a good looking seat.
I'm a proffesional driver by that I mean long distance truck driving & comfort is the "KEY" without it you get out feeling like rubbish.

Also honestly what car these days doesnt have cruise control I mean even the Hyundai bloody has it!!

The XR5 is a great car looks fantastic but would I buy one I'm afraid NOT. They might be nice around town or on a race track but try driving 400km in it!!

Its the same as a FG GT & FG GTP drive them & compare the std GT seats are way more comfortable but this is the stupid thing you cant order a GT-P with std GT seats?? go figure??

My Mrs ended up buying a Toyota Rav 4 she is more than happy. Its hard to keep them happy!!! hahahahha...... Thanks for your input guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The XR5 is a great car looks fantastic but would I buy one I'm afraid NOT. They might be nice around town or on a race track but try driving 400km in it!!
Each to their own I guess.... In my opinion I find mine more comfortable than my XR6 ever was - particularly over long distances. But hey, that's just me - everyone's different. Hope you enjoy the new car.