Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which mufflers? Lukey...

Hey everyone,

im replacing my mufflers and cats...

http://www.lukey.com.au/default.asp?...mplate=CONTENT

Im looking at the glass packs.... Which mufflers offer the best flow you guys reckon?

Does anybody have a lukey exhaust equipped? I'd like some feedback on lukey....

Ill probably get a full lukey system... including headers...

So headers, single 3inch exhaust, 2 new cats and im just wandering which mufflers i should get....

Cheers Guys!

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

have a look at the ballistic cats from sureflow exhaust (site sponsor) - they look like the ducks nuts - I'm getting one of them for sure!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
dreadly
Banned

Mate, you've got an 8 so standard it's twin 2.25... going to a single 3" you lose an 1.5" of flow. Get your resonator replaced with some straight pipes, your centre muffler taken out and replaced with either a hi flow exhaust or a pair of hotdogs. But get some pacemaker extractors, and hi flow metal core cats. Cheap power, with a a nice note ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yehhhh dont bother with lukey lol
yeh often you get a good sound but youre gonna have crappy power, they are a cheap product for a reason
just like people have said.... go for the ballistic racing cat, its an awesome product i have one myself
for headers yeh pacemakers are great, if you got the cash you cant go past a herrod system tho
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh ok thanks guys....
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Don't bother with the Herrod system if you are planning mods, a single 2.5" system will become a restriction pretty quick.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a straight through muffler 2- half inch exhuast small muffler lot smaller then standerd with 2 baffles, extractors , 3 inch out let to 3 inch high flow cat to single 2 half inch and the noise is to die for, ive herd it when my mech took it for a drive and the sound was awesome as sounds like a v8, extractors and cat was from wreckers, 300 bucks and the exhaust is stainless steel which was 280 bucks, has helped my car alot more
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Don't bother with the Herrod system if you are planning mods, a single 2.5" system will become a restriction pretty quick.
do herrod only make a 2.5? my uncle got a dual 2.25 from herrod =S
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh by the way, not being rude i just want to know lol
also RG, what do you think is the limit for a 2.5" system? i was looking at getting a 3" system but i was told by the tuner and the exhaust place there wouldnt be any gain even if it made up to 170-175 with headwork
would you say something around 190rwkw? i havent bothered asking many people about this because 90% of people who drive a 6 cyl will tell you a 3" system is crap just because they dont like them
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

AHAHAHAHA. Here we go again
As for the original system, its for an 8, get that three inch if its what you want, or twin 2 1/4. If you want a decent sound get Lukey, they wont loose any power over a normal exhaust as long as its a three inch muffler on a three inch exhaust. As for Cats, get 100CPSI Ballistic racing cats off sureflow. Best quality cats Ive ever seen, and flows as good as having no cat pretty much, lol.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok i was thinking maybe this.... Pacemaker headers 4-1, into the 100cpi ballistic cats, 2.5 inch pipes coming from the cats into a single hooker muffler (or maybe a lukey glass pack), and a single 3 inch pipe to finish? with twin tips

The reason im thinking of the 4-1's and 3 inch, is that im planning on either strokering and/or supercharging down the track

Can someone let me know what my setup sounds like please... I dont care if u think its crap let me know if it is, i just want ideas for a 1 time job...

cheers guys
Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Twin 2.5".

/Thread

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lukeys do have a good sound , i love the look of fear when a wrx pulls along side me.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Mate, you've got an 8 so standard it's twin 2.25... going to a single 3" you lose an 1.5" of flow.
It doesn't actually work like that.
You don't just double pipe diameter to reach flow, you need to calculate pipe area to calculate flow.
Anyway, dual 2.25" pipes do actually flow a little more than a single 3" pipe.
2" = 12.5sq"
2.25" = 15.9sq"
2.5" = 19.6sq"
3" = 28.2sq"

So as can be seen, dual 2.25" pipes will have an area of 15.9sq" x 2 = 31.8sq", as opposed to a 3" single pipe having 28.2sq".
Quote:
Get your resonator replaced with some straight pipes, your centre muffler taken out and replaced with either a hi flow exhaust or a pair of hotdogs.
Hmmm, no mufflers, and just 2 hot dogs? That would be offensively loud.
My 8 banger has the tailpipes removed (not my choice) and fitted with straight through piece and it's way too loud and sounds horrible.
Quote:
But get some pacemaker extractors, and hi flow metal core cats. Cheap power, with a a nice note ;)
Now you're onto something, but throw some decent mufflers in too.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
Ok i was thinking maybe this.... Pacemaker headers 4-1, into the 100cpi ballistic cats, 2.5 inch pipes coming from the cats into a single hooker muffler (or maybe a lukey glass pack), and a single 3 inch pipe to finish? with twin tips
Why would you have dual 2.5" throttle back to a single 3"?
A single 3" flows quite a way less than dual 2.5" pipes.
Quote:
The reason im thinking of the 4-1's and 3 inch, is that im planning on either strokering and/or supercharging down the track
If you're going for a stroker, then a set of tri-y's is the ants pants, don't bother with 4-1's.
Blown, well, it doesn't matter much, either will do.
Single 3" is enough for a mild(ish) stroker, but not enough for a huffer.
Quote:
Can someone let me know what my setup sounds like please... I dont care if u think its crap let me know if it is, i just want ideas for a 1 time job...
It may not be crap, but some things are certainly not always ideal.

If it were me, a 400hp stroker would be just right with a dual 2.25" system and tri-y headers. (I'll be fitting this very system to my stroker in a couple of months).
A blown 500hp engine will be fine with either type of header, but a dual 2.5" system would be the go.

So it really depends on which direction you're heading, and be honest with yourself, as plans change very quickly.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
dreadly
Banned

Ive got 2 lukey glass packed straight through mufflers 2.5" on a twin 2.25 system resonator removed 2 straight through pipes, pacemaker tri y's and hi flow metal core stainless cats. Mufflers will cost around $300, headers $700, cats $500. $1600+ and it'll flow really well, and sound pretty mean. Cheers
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I have 4>1's and a twin 2.5" system on mine and it seems to make power and torque.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, well i was thinking pacemaker tri-y's, into 2 ballistic cats,the rest is twin 2 1/2 inch from cat back? With lukey mufflers? Glass pack mufflers you reckon?

How much you reckon that would cost? And who would get a 2 1/2 inch and who would get 3 inch?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
dreadly
Banned

IMO Dont get a 3" they dont flow as well... sound deep and droney. Glass packed ones are essentially big hotdogs with packing to shut em up a bit i think. All others besides straight through, allow for back pressure, kinda the same but two opposite pipes meet in the centre chamber of the muffler it's self, limiting flow a bit.

A 3" would cost $400-600 and a twin 2.5 $700 region
All depends what influences you really, future plans/mods, sound, price,flow etc?
Hope that helps a bit.