Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Matty4
Banana

Default Channel 10 HD. Where is it?

I've noticed that now the old Ch. 1 which was 10 HD has now become ONE HD and is 24 hr sport that normal 10 programming in HD has gone. Ch.10 is just SD and 12 has disappeared too!

Am I missing something? (Does this make any sense? : )

Should I just search all the channels again to see if it is now on a different number? Or has 10HD gone?

Matty

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I dont have HD myself but in the tv guide all it has is normal 10 and 'one HD' theres not '10 HD'. Thats on yahoo tv guide by the way

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yeah it looks like 10HD is gone. They may bring it back.

12 is SD version of One.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Ten HD is now One HD. Ten dont have enough frequency allocation for 10SD 10HD, OneSD and OneHD. So she is gone.

Really crap, i seriously do not know why the stupid government bothered with SD in the 1st place- Studpidity in the extreme.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

any word on when One HD/SD will be available to regional areas?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
any word on when One HD/SD will be available to regional areas?
Mid year apparently, Southern Cross 10 has been dragging their feet for ages on Ten HD/One HD. One does get sick of looking at the test loop feed of pretty pictures of Parkes Town Hall.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Mid year apparently, Southern Cross 10 has been dragging their feet for ages on Ten HD/One HD. One does get sick of looking at the test loop feed of pretty pictures of Parkes Town Hall.
haha yes whenever i get excited they may have done something regarding HD i'm usually presented with flowing green plains and flocks of Pelicans
Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sorry to hijack, but a quick question.

Is there any benefit of getting HD over SD? I know the quality is better, but does one get more chanels??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, more channels :
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Sorry to hijack, but a quick question.

Is there any benefit of getting HD over SD? I know the quality is better, but does one get more chanels??
at the moment, no. In future maybe. But generally HD fta programming is just a replica of the SD channel, in HD resolution. However sometimes you get different programming on the HD chan, it just depends where you live too. Also as far as i know, "Freeview" (the new channels coming out soon) are all just SD channels, supplmentary to the main chans, eg 7(1), 7(2), 9(1), 9(2) etc.

So at the moment, yes the only advantage of HD reception is high res pictures, with some chans sometimes showing different material
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
at the moment, no. In future maybe. But generally HD fta programming is just a replica of the SD channel, in HD resolution. However sometimes you get different programming on the HD chan, it just depends where you live too. Also as far as i know, "Freeview" (the new channels coming out soon) are all just SD channels, supplmentary to the main chans, eg 7(1), 7(2), 9(1), 9(2) etc.

So at the moment, yes the only advantage of HD reception is high res pictures, with some chans sometimes showing different material
EXACTLY! basically just saying what the prof. said but:
all HD is, is better a picture as well as special programs on sometimes instead of the normal shows (e.g NASCARS).

Cheers, Anthony
Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
bob^
LPS

Freeview won't be much different to what we have now.
The line up will be
7, 7HD, 7SD
9, 9HD, 9SD
10, ONEHD, ONE (can't believe the network that was pushing HD by saying watch your favourite programs in HD has completely ditched HD programming for sport.
ABC1, ABC2, ABCHD
SBS, SBS2, SBSHD
I'm unsure what will happen to SBS news, or if that is the SBS2 that they refer to.

You did have something to gain having a HD tuner with 10HD, as it did have a lot of alternative programming compared to the regular channel 10(and also some tv shows only shown on HD), but now the sports channel is SD also.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crap. Channel 10 looks rubbish in 576 on my 1080P LCD. You can really tell the difference. Watching the league on 9HD is great though. But I suppose there is nothing on 10 to watch anyway.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Really crap, i seriously do not know why the stupid government bothered with SD in the 1st place- Studpidity in the extreme.
Because a SD box is dirt cheap and as the analogue will be phased out between 2010 and 2013 they need a cheap way to bring TV to people. There are people out there that cannot (or don't want) HD TV's.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #15
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

Try and figure out the logic with this one.... I live in a regional area and can't get ONE, but it's still been advertised on TEN, but then there is also another add to tell me it's not available!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #16
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stupid question.... WHat is One HD? I'm from canberra, ya know, the "Capital" of australia... we get squat.

Saw an add yesterday ... "One HD... Coming soon", so , i take it another 6 months for us.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&BXR6
stupid question.... WHat is One HD? I'm from canberra, ya know, the "Capital" of australia... we get squat.

Saw an add yesterday ... "One HD... Coming soon", so , i take it another 6 months for us.

24 hour sports channel that has a whole heap of different sports.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OH JOY!!! More sport on TV,can't wait! : :
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
OH JOY!!! More sport on TV,can't wait! : :
Actually you can watch a 24hr sport channel or if you don't wanna watch it you can turn to Ten SD and watch non sport programs (unless its sport that normally gets shown on the channel).
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

Was only thinking about this the other day. Channel 10SD looks pretty bad on my LCD, but thers no alternative anymore
wsfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what i have read so far about Freeview. it could be a little wrong.

Under "Freeview" each of the 3 commercial networks, SBS and ABC, will have two SD channels showing mostly different programs (Abc1- abc2 etc) anda a single HD channel which is the same as one of the other two channels. Thus 3 channels anfd 5 networks is 15 channels.

the other networks are using the HD channel the same as their main sd channel, but 10 is chosing to echo their second channel which they call channel 1.. so ONE HD.

However the commercial networksa re pretty slow getting it going.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Yesterdays F1 coverage, was instead the demo loop, with the occasional banner "HD ONE broadcasting on this service will begin in the coming months".

So no set date.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never watch anything on 10HD besides a demo loop. It really annoys me because I have a 1080p capable TV and they never have anything on that channel.

I find that 7HD is generally the best out of all the HD channels.

I realize that no channel does better than 1080i though but it still looks awesome
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There must be somethig wrong with my eyes.
I have a large LCD screen in the living room and I quite commonly check out teh screens in electrical shops etc, but you know, i STILL prefer the picture on my old 23" CRT TV in the spare room.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Some people don't like either how sharp a LCD/Plasma is, or how bright a LCD is.

Nothing wrong with preferring a CRT, many professionals in photography/design etc. still use CRTs cause the colour reproduction is better.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
You are right mate, on the HD test patterns they are actually advertising ONE HD is coming soon to SC10. I spoke to a dude from SC10 who came into work last week, he said they are looking at about 10-12 weeks......
Old 08-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

From a post at Austech.info, slightly older, but explains the process re SCTV:

Quote:
ONE HD: SC10 & Foxtel ‘fess up

* By David Knox on March 15, 2009
* Filed Under News

UPDATED: ONE may be launching next week to city viewers but regional television viewers will be waiting until mid year to see the new 24hr sports channel on Southern Cross Television.

Greg Dodgson, Chief Operating Officer for Macquarie Southern Cross Media, told TV Tonight the delay was caused by extensive changes to upgrade its facilities to 23 markets.

“We still haven’t built our infrastructure and we’re still testing to be able to carry it across all the sub-markets and towns in our broadcast footprint,” he said.

“We’re committed to carrying ONE but we’re still in a testing phase. And we’re still building to be able to put it across the 23 markets that we’re going to carry it in.

“It’s likely to be the middle of the year, which is not far away.”

So far some Southern Cross viewers are seeing high definition testing pictures.

“What you’re getting on the HD service is pretty pictures from around the country. It’s what we call a loop tape. That’s our programming that we’re putting out the moment because we’re building the infrastructure and testing to carry ONE.”

But not all regional viewers (ie. Central Australia) will wind up getting ONE because government regulation only requires the HD signal in specific markets.

“There’s not a requirement to broadcast in HD in those areas and you can appreciate the cost involved in broadcasting. We’re not going to put it any further afield then we’ve got to,” he conceded.

TV Tonight has made available maps of four key regional markets: in Queensland(Aggregate market A), Northern NSW (Aggregate market B), Southern NSW (Aggregate market C) and Victoria (Aggregate market D). Tasmania and Darwin maps were not supplied.

In tight economic times Dodgson concedes the arrival of ONE is a taxing challenge.

“The metros (TEN) have only got to put out in 5 markets. This takes my Playout Centre that I look after from 35 to 63 Channels. There’s nothing like it in the rest of Australia. It’s just substantial.”

SC 10 says when the time comes it will be promoting the start date on-air and in its regular program guides.

Meanwhile Foxtel, which no doubt views a 24 hour sports channel as direct competition, says the onus on adding extra channels is dependent on channels covering the costs of adding to satellite capacity. Each network has separate retransmission deals.

Foxtel cable viewers who have the IQ2 and currently receive TEN HD will be able to access ONE HD.

Until an extra satellite is launched later this year, satellite viewers in other cities will be kept waiting.

“Currently Foxtel cable subscribers have access to all FTA standard definition and FTA HD channels via Foxtel, including TEN SD and TEN HD,” said a Foxtel spokesperson. “Any additional channels launched by the FTA channels will be available to cable customers subject to each channel’s retransmission agreement.”

Until an agreement is reached over costs, the standard digital version of ONE will not be available to Foxtel viewers either.

“In relation to satellite Foxtel customers, Optus will be launching a new satellite later this year - providing additional capacity - and we may retransmit the additional Channel TEN channels subject to Channel TEN agreeing to cover the cost of obtaining the satellite capacity to retransmit its new channels.”

UPDATED 16 March: Greg Dodgson has qualified statements made in relation to SC10 owned markets (Aggregate Markets A, B, C, D) over markets that are shared with other companies (including Tasmania and Darwin). Contrary to earlier information there is a requirement to broadcast HD into Tasmania and Darwin, however they are not fully owned SC10 stations. This means Tasmanian and Darwin viewers WILL get ONE in HD on SC10 at the same time as other markets.

“I’m confident they’ll get them in the middle of the year like other viewers but we don’t fully own that signal,” said Dodgson.

SC10 also has no plans for its secondary digital channel.

“When we broadcast ONE HD in the middle of the year it will come out as HD. But we don’t have any plans yet with our SD2 channel.”

TV Tonight apologises for any confusion (particularly for Tassie & Darwin viewers!) in the ever-changing landscape that is digital television! Please note in order to avoid further confusion, previous comments relating to these markets will be deleted.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post