Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default This is supposedly an EF XR6 wagon......

Since I'm looking someone PM'ed me a link to an ebay auction with an EF XR6 wagon - great, then I saw this attached photo of it!!

Other than the obvious lack of XR6 front, did they all have red stripes in the door moulds or not, as this doesn't have those either? It has the bonnet vents and side badges, but its a shame theres no other pics. The dealer assures me its an XR6, but he sounds like a 'typical' hume highway motor dealer, so that might be because thats what the badges say! I've emailed for more pics, but if they are like every other deal on ebay I won't hear anything back.

Add to that, using the VIN number in the ad a check brings it back as an ED Falcon wagon, not an EF, and using the RTA 'my records' shows a worrying ownership history of '9 owners since first registered in NSW'. According to my calculations thats 1 every 18mths of its life!!! I know the records may not be accurate due to possible car dealers adding a couple to the official records, but 9???

I just have a funny feeling I should run away from this one very fast for some reason and not even bother going and looking at it!! Not a hard decision in 40 deg heat to stay at home though!!! And at $2999 - maybe they know its not an XR6 wagon.

Old 24-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

honestly doubt thats an xr6. And if it is, it's been front ended and been fixed on the cheap. you can see the bumper is different colour.
Old 24-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds VERY suss! If it was me I wouldn't give it another thought. That said, if it had a Tickford rocker cover then that may help confirm its XR'ness as this would be more of an effort to fake (but not impossible). It may end up being a cheaply repaired XR, but then to get it back to original you are still talking decent money to put back in XR lights and bar.
Old 24-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

by the looks of it, it has the xr headrests in the seat if you look close enough but i think it is more trouble than good.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
you are still talking decent money to put back in XR lights and bar.
Thats what I was thinking. It would suddenly make it a $4k car to start before anything else is looked at, and at 289,000k I doubt its perfect. Plus its on gas which I don't particularly want.
Old 24-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
I just have a funny feeling I should run away from this one very fast for some reason and not even bother going and looking at .
thats your gut feeling. walk away
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since its a high km car, it would not surprise me if it had a front on bingle and had a standard front end put on.

I've never seen a cheap XR front and I seem to recall $3.5K from Ford when I had my EL XR one changed due to an accident. Alot of money if the car is only worth $3K. owner may have fixed it for 200 bucks and keeps using it.

Would be easy to check for tickford, compliance plate, driveline, dash, seats etc...and not worth putting that gear on an ED wagon...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dont touch it LOL

Looks pretty dodgie from the pictures
Old 24-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Just dont touch it LOL

Looks pretty dodgie from the pictures
Not as dodgy as the bloke I spoke to on the phone about it!!!
Old 24-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its bass hill what u expect hahahaha
Old 24-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
seduced_xr
BF XR6

it would be worth going down and speaking to them just to get a laugh out of their bs.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 24-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a shame if it is an XR wagon :( i reckon someones swapped the front end with a mate or sold it cause its worth heaps! only way to confirm its an XR is to go and check it out.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
its bass hill what u expect hahahaha
I think the sales guy is the cousin of the guy at Cabramatta last week!
Old 24-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cabramatta???
Old 24-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
seduced_xr
BF XR6

please elaborate...

as u said its VIN is an ED. mabe go down and confirm if its the correct vin listed.. if its infact the VIN off an ED and its an EF xr with a GLI front end id report it to someone. thats by far illegal. mabe they bought it from some1 dodgy realised and dont want to be at loss on it

Old 24-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like its got XR6 seats, you can just see the donut headrests.

VIN may not be correct, sometimes they just chuck any old number. I doubt its really an ED. (wrong front, mirrors, door handles, door moulds etc)

Like said, it could have been fixed on the cheap, and maybe a genuine.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
please elaborate...

as u said its VIN is an ED. mabe go down and confirm if its the correct vin listed.. if its infact the VIN off an ED and its an EF xr with a GLI front end id report it to someone. thats by far illegal. mabe they bought it from some1 dodgy realised and dont want to be at loss on it
Yeah, the VIN thats listed in the ebay listing links to a free VIN check, which shows it as being an ED Falcon Wagon. Surprised if they mistyped the VIN and it happened to be correct for an ED. Also, through the RTA web site you can do a better check, which requires the last 4 digits of the VIN and the rego plate - if they don't match it tells you, which it didn't mention, so the VIN is in fact correct for those licence plates - currently on an EF. It could well be that the initial check through 'checkitout.com.au' is wrong, maybe a database error or something.

But no, I'm not going to even bother looking, just not worth it with GLI front, high k's etc. It can become someone elses problem - they should do the appropriate checks anyway.

Update: Interesting - Doing an online REVS check gives me this:

* ENCUMBRANCE/WARNING DETAILS *
The vehicle indentifiers you have supplied indicate that the vehicle has
been recorded as a Repairable Write-Off. The vehicle may have been repaired, inspected and re-registered.
Before you buy the vehicle, contact the manufacturer to check if the
the manufacturer's warranty is still valid.
There is no financial interest
VEHICLE DETAILS MATCHED WITH RTA

Ah, yep, I think I'll give this one a miss.
Old 25-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #18
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:

been recorded as a Repairable Write-Off. The vehicle may have been repaired, inspected and re-registered.

Well that just confirmed the obvious really. Still you never know what they will sell at.
Old 25-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:

oh yeah walk away man u dunno how much damage was dun in the smash and how good they repaired it, just lucky it wasent a stat writeoff thatd ben fixed (yes it does Happen)
Old 25-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at an EL Futura at Bass Hill once in 2007. Had 130K's on odo, but looked like crap. Owners manual still in glove box, 120K service was done in 1998! It certainly didn't look like it was garaged in cotton wool for 9 years.

It was then time to walk.

Yeah, Bass Hill car yards. Fun times.
Old 25-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well a repairable write off for an EF XR6 wouldnt take much, if you go to the auctions you see plenty with stuff all damage written off. Considering its got the original bonnet, it probably only had a minor front bingle (bumper, lights, grill)

If the rest of the car is in good condition it may not be that bad of a buy with negotiation. Explain the fact its written off and it has the wrong front etc and you could get it for cheap.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If thats an EF XR6 then im the owner of a Lamborghini Murcheliago lol!